NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Brady Singer 2023 Outlook

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I've been meaning to start a thread on my boy BS, but then Grey wonderfully stole my thunder:

https://razzball.com/brady-singer-2023-fantasy-baseball-sleeper/

Do you guys like him this much too?

I do not like him nearly that much.  3 pitch pitcher, low Ks, league average fastball from the metrics I see.  Comparing him to Zack Greinke is totally out of pocket & his "best stat I have seen for a sleeper" was hardly such a crazy stat.  I may be reading his thought process wrong, but it's a pretty obvious stat given he's a pitch to contact sinker baller? 

"Brady Singer is 2nd in the league for all starters for amount of swings a hitter takes at balls inside the strike zone, and following that to its logical conclusion, he’s 2nd in the majors for the most called strikes."

What Singer does have in his favor is his ADP (potentially), his park, and his team which will be much improved this year.  If he falls to SP60 or so he's a value but his current Fantrax ADP of 152 would tell me he's going much higher than that.  Pass for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not enough love out there for Brady. He was SEC pitcher of the year as a junior then he went 12-3 with 2.55 era and got drafted 18th overall. First thing he does is go viral for paying parents' mortgage with signing bonus. Goes onto pro debut and its a 5-2 line with sub 2 era and gets promoted to AA where he then pitches to a 7-3 record with 3.47 era. First pitcher from his class to make debut back in July 2020 and its five innings of two run ball.  2021 was not the best season but then he comes in to 2022 under the radar and delivers BIG; 10-5 with 3.23 era and nearly 1 SO per inning. All the while the royals offense improves with Bobby Witt Jr coming up and Italian Nightmare Vinnie P and MJ Melendez breaking out. Salvy might be best hitting catcher in baseball. Royals line up has sneaky upside, so i think Brady Singer can get even better and be a ace for this young team.

6 hours ago, tekashi26ix said:

Not enough love out there for Brady. He was SEC pitcher of the year as a junior then he went 12-3 with 2.55 era and got drafted 18th overall. First thing he does is go viral for paying parents' mortgage with signing bonus. Goes onto pro debut and its a 5-2 line with sub 2 era and gets promoted to AA where he then pitches to a 7-3 record with 3.47 era. First pitcher from his class to make debut back in July 2020 and its five innings of two run ball.  2021 was not the best season but then he comes in to 2022 under the radar and delivers BIG; 10-5 with 3.23 era and nearly 1 SO per inning. All the while the royals offense improves with Bobby Witt Jr coming up and Italian Nightmare Vinnie P and MJ Melendez breaking out. Salvy might be best hitting catcher in baseball. Royals line up has sneaky upside, so i think Brady Singer can get even better and be a ace for this young team.

Your reasoning for Brady having a breakout season is he had a 3.47 era in AA, paid his parents mortgage, and they have great young hitters?  Lazy analysis to say the least. 

Singer is not respected nearly enough. He's gets overlooked because he doesn't have sexy swing and miss metrics. What people don't realize is his sinker is actually really special. It has some of the most arm side run around. He starts it way outside the zone locks hitters up and they sit there and take a strike. THIS is why he nearly leads the league in called strikes. It tunnels beautifully with his slider and the change up progressed last year. I'm in on Singer and his relative low price. Think there is more upside if the change up can progress. Don't dismiss the fact that KC has canned and revamped its whole pitching development team. Obviously still TBD but it's hard to get worse from where they were at.

Example of what I'm talking about

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

I really like the Alcantara comp. Sandy did a better job on barrel % (5% vs 8% for Singer, approx) and about 2% better on GB%. Alcantara's HR rate was really low (maybe an anomaly, like .6 HR/9), with Singers at 1 per 9.

Sandy has outperformed FIP/xFIP routinely. 

Brady did by quite a but last year. 

I dont know their pitching styles comparatively, but looking at raw data, perhaps Singer can pull a Sandy if he can get some weaker contact and a little luck.