NBC Sports EDGE Forums

NFBC Gladiator Strategy Discussion

The NFBC has launched a new format for the upcoming season.  Teams are drafted in 15 team leagues in a snake draft, prizes are awarded for the top 2 in each 15 team league.  However the overall competition pays $7500 for a $50 entry fee. 1,500 overall teams in the contest.

Roto scoring, pretty standard positions.  You only draft a starting lineup and that's it..that's your team for the whole season. No bench, no lineup changes, no free agents, no trades.

Interested in what kind of strategy would be best for this contest.  Take a bunch of high risk players and either finish very high in the standings or finish last.  Take a bunch of guys you know will play (or at best we can) but maybe don't have much upside. Figuring if the team accumulates at bats and IP is the best strategy.

Interesting format.

It's a great idea, especially for something like NFBC.  As fun as NFBC is, most of us just can't compete against guys putting 90 hours a week into in season management.  It's annoying enough that simply investing tons of time is a key "skill" in home leagues.

IDK if it is possible, but I'd like to see some kind of minimal bench.  Maybe it could be modeled on cutline.  Like, you draft 3-4 bench players but you only get to make substitutions 2x in the whole year.  Otherwise, I think injuries are going to be the main determinant of success.

But I love the puzzle of new formats anyway.  Where do guys like Tatis and Harper go, knowing you will have to eat a zero for several weeks?

If I was drafting today, I would not pay for a top closer.  It's kind of a game theory problem.  Closer to opening day, the closer situations will clear up and closer prices will go down at least some.  So you are at a disadvantage in the overall if you overpay for closers now.  The move is probably to gamble on a couple guys with uncertain roles now.  If they hit, you will gain an advantage over later drafters, as you will underpay for those closers.

If your closers don't pan out, you will be toast in the overall.  But you will still have a nice shot to win your league because teams taking closers in the second round will be getting a low ROI on them, and you will hopefully be getting like a $30 player.

I suspect guys with limited PT due to platoon issues or being on the Rays or whatever gain value, as they should have lower injury risk and a better chance of contributing at least something each week.  Also, they should have fewer terrible weeks as they avoid the worst matchups.  

Rockies take a hit, as you can't play them selectively.  This is the opposite of normal bestball, where Rockies are good because their worst stretches are automatically excluded.

This might be the best format to take a shot on Buxton or Mondesi.  If they fall very far due to injury fears, then a healthy season will return an enormous profit. I think I'd like to have as safe a team as possible and concentrate my injury risk in one spot.  Then, I just need to get lucky on one player to be in very good shape.  

So my team is gonna be like, Robert Suarez, Buxton and then the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.  

Looking at ADPs... I actually might just wind up with several "injury prone" players.   It's only 4 drafts, but so far I think the drafts exhibit a bit of hysteria around injury risk.  Guys like Derek Carty and Dussault have convinced me that we are very bad at predicting injury risk. 

There are a handful of players for whom I think an elevated risk is predictable because of body type and playing style.  Like, Buxton just puts too much strain on his body.  But I think a lot of guys who go years without major injury are just lucky, while an oft injured player is frequently unlucky.

Anywho, Wander is going outside the top 100.  Stanton is going outside the top 150.  These guys could miss 1/3 of the season and still be OK picks. So it's not as if you need to have some kind of miracle season if you take them.  

The end of the draft is scary.  Lots of potential 0s or negatives.  Of course, normally you are churning most of your picks here and so it's fine to gamble.  I might go the opposite route and just try to get a couple guys who are likely to get PT.  

I'm definitely playing 2-3 of these now.  Thanks for costing me a hundered bucks OP!

Decide to jump into a draft to keep occupied during Thanksgiving break.  Drew pick 10 KDS style.  Down to Ohtani, Witt Jr., Betts, and Vlad Jr with 1 pick left before mine.  Leaning towards Vlad, With no lineup changes, Ohtani losses some value in this format in my mind.  Vlad did manage 8 SB last year and with the bigger bases maybe that bumps him up to 10-12.  The whole league gets a bump as well I guess, but still like his value.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, murraygd13 said:

The NFBC has launched a new format for the upcoming season.  Teams are drafted in 15 team leagues in a snake draft, prizes are awarded for the top 2 in each 15 team league.  However the overall competition pays $7500 for a $50 entry fee. 1,500 overall teams in the contest.

Roto scoring, pretty standard positions.  You only draft a starting lineup and that's it..that's your team for the whole season. No bench, no lineup changes, no free agents, no trades.

Interested in what kind of strategy would be best for this contest.  Take a bunch of high risk players and either finish very high in the standings or finish last.  Take a bunch of guys you know will play (or at best we can) but maybe don't have much upside. Figuring if the team accumulates at bats and IP is the best strategy.

Interesting format.

What the heck is "NFBC?"  National Frisbee Bank of Colorado?  Nothing For Breakfast Club?  Neutered Ferns of British Columbia?

Also pretty silly rules as in it has nothing to do with how baseball is played any more than say checkers.

16 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What the heck is "NFBC?"  National Frisbee Bank of Colorado?  Nothing For Breakfast Club?  Neutered Ferns of British Columbia?

Also pretty silly rules as in it has nothing to do with how baseball is played any more than say checkers.

I guess you're joking about NFBC.  However, the rules are standard roto.

You just can't make roster changes in season, which allows you to play a lot of leagues and also not to automatically lose to some guy who is looking at righty lefty matchups, park factors, etc. 2 weeks ahead of time and spending 20 hours on every FAAB period.

If anything, I'd say it's more realistic as real MLB teams don't sign and/or drop 200 players over the course of the season.  Like, the Rockies couldn't have just dropped German Marquez for Spencer Strider last year.

6 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

I guess you're joking about NFBC.  However, the rules are standard roto.

You just can't make roster changes in season, which allows you to play a lot of leagues and also not to automatically lose to some guy who is looking at righty lefty matchups, park factors, etc. 2 weeks ahead of time and spending 20 hours on every FAAB period.

If anything, I'd say it's more realistic as real MLB teams don't sign and/or drop 200 players over the course of the season.  Like, the Rockies couldn't have just dropped German Marquez for Spencer Strider last year.

No I'm not joking.  I do NOT know what NFBC means.  I have never ever heard of it.  Guess you and nobody else here knows what the letters stand for either since there has been no reply to that yet.  So I'm going with the Neutered Ferns of British Columbia for now.

Anyway like I said above the rules seem really silly.

I don't think it is affiliated with RT. Here is their history page

https://nfc.shgn.com/history/baseball

"NFBC set new records across the board. In 2021, the NFBC had over 19,000 paid teams competing for over $4.5 million in prizes, comprising over 1,400 leagues."

Edited by Ray Zorback
spell check

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Since I don't click on unknown links can you tell me what these initials stand for?  The NFBC four initials?  Nobody seems to know here.

National Fantasy Baseball Championships.  It's has to be the biggest big money fantasy baseball sites around.  I think anyone I read plays on there and discusses it regularly (Eno, CBS guys, Fantrax guys, etc.).  If you see anyone discussing the early ADP numbers, its from drafts that happen here.

• Thanks 1