NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sleepers

perkinsfor3

Thomas Bryant, 5% owned.  Capable of being John Collins lite when starting, 14/6 with a three and a block.  Shoots over 50% from the field and not a bad FT shooter.  Looked good in the preseason, might start, and probably should.  One of those bigs who most people aren't excited about but then you turn around and he's top 75 in 9 cat roto.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Thomas Bryant, 5% owned.  Capable of being John Collins lite when starting, 14/6 with a three and a block.  Shoots over 50% from the field and not a bad FT shooter.  Looked good in the preseason, might start, and probably should.  One of those bigs who most people aren't excited about but then you turn around and he's top 75 in 9 cat roto.

Has some upside - how much are you worried about him being in a time-split with Damian Jones and AD playing C (which I think was already confirmed to be the starting C for opening night)?

Just now, perkinsfor3 said:

Has some upside - how much are you worried about him being in a time-split with Damian Jones and AD playing C (which I think was already confirmed to be the starting C for opening night)?

If I'm picking someone with my last round pick, I have no worries at all.  I will just drop him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Ayo Dosnmu?

Going to be the Bulls starting PG with Lonzo out for a long period of time.

His projections seem to be a bit down with the added mins

He's the Bulls guard to own with Ball out but he's also in a timeshare with White, Caruso and Raptor legend Dragic 

Edited by DonutGiveUp

9 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Ayo Dosnmu?

Going to be the Bulls starting PG with Lonzo out for a long period of time.

His projections seem to be a bit down with the added mins

DD will do a lot of ballhandling. Ayo has nice sleeper potential, but the upside is somewhat capped - in the games he started or played a lot of minutes last season he didn't show me that much to get excited about. AST:TO ratio was painful for a lead guard, but showed some uptick during the season. Outside shooting bit up and down. Good steals numbers in quite a few stretches, that's a good indication. His FG percentage is really nice, though. Like I said, he's not a player I get overly excited about, but definitely one of the players I wouldn't be suprised to be wrong about/too sceptical of.

I doubt he's in a time share with White btw - I think they solely regard him as a bench off-guard. 

Edited by perkinsfor3

James Wiseman. Looked great in pre-season, is a #1 overall pick, and Warriors are slowly going to be transitioning into a youth movement. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at some point during the season. His upside is really high, and I think worth a last round flier. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Week 1 Sleeper picks. Maybe I'll post it weekly. I probably won't, but doesn't hurt to share these now, since I will no longer publish anything on my site. Either way - feel free to add/comment/bash/whatever. I hope, with the tiers, there's something for everyone, and we won't get into the available/not available/too deep of a sleeper/no sleeper conundrum - nobody has time for that.

Three Players owned in less than 50% of Yahoo's leagues:
Isaiah Hartenstein (42%) - Back up, but probably one of the best back up bigs in a league where it's hard to find blocks. 
Santi Aldama (30%) - As long as JJJ is out, he'll produce. Can do a bit of everything and is a smart player. Figures to be of value beyond that. Could stand to be a bit more vocal, but he's young. 
Jalen Williams (25%) - Great size, great all-round game. Will see minutes and probably a big role for the Thunder. Had a bit of a hype going for him, so the 25% rostered seems somewhat fine.

Three Players owned in less than 20% of Yahoo's leagues:
Jalen Duren (17%) - Stewart is showing he can play PF (he's definitely not afraid to let it fly from 3), Bagley is out and Olynyk is in Utah. Noel is still lingering, but I liked what Duren showed in PS. 
Kendrick Nunn (11%) - Starting and probably their best floor-spacer. Lakers are a hot mess, though. He could have some deep league value, in threes, mostly. 
Jose Alvarado (11%) - Steals are rare, and Alvarado has shown he adds a lot of value to this Pelicans roster. First back up at PG. I think he's gonna be quite valuable.

Three Players owned in less than 10% of Yahoo's leagues:
Tre Mann (8%) - Balled out in pre-season (and late last season), figures to have a role during the season, especially as long as SGA is limited/out. 
Trey Murphy III (5%) - Around 6-10 now, and can produce on both ends of the floor. Pelicans need spacing on the floor, and Trey's one of their shooters. I thinlk he'll win MIP this season. Also, CJ has looked horrible so far in PS - that contract might come and bite them in the a**.
Nikola Jovic (3%) - Extremely young, and already playing PF and C - and looking impressive doing so. Will see minutes. I really, really like his upside.

I honestly missed reading these kind of write-ups from the people at these forums. Hope you can keep doing these for us!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

I always mark 1 or 2 of the late picks as the sacrificial goats because somebody will jump out after a game or two that you have to grab

Oh yeah my last couple of picks are fully expendable. They're essentially streaming spots unless one of them proves to be a season-long contributor. 

Does Jalen Smith count as a sleeper? I know heading into pre-season he had some hype, then it went away because he didn't have sexy statlines during pre-season. Got him last night for $1. I think prior to pre-season he could have fetched at least $5. Probably dropped a round of 2 in snakes as well. 

8 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Along the same lines would be McGee.  Has 12/7 with 1.5 blocks potential, shoots 60% from the field.  Might have less upside than Bryant in roto bc he's a poor FT% shooter.  But he's another center who has sneaky top 75 upside and is 15% owned.  

McGee needs to come with some conditions. I am not sure if people will take him in H2H, I only do roto. In roto, in 18-22 mpg he can be top 75-100. But the cats that drive his value make him largely a build fit. He wasn't anywhere near my must have or sleeper list but when I got light on bigs (BLK and FG% mostly) he was a VERY welcome addition to my early bench.

26 minutes ago, Dominator83 said:

Does Jalen Smith count as a sleeper? I know heading into pre-season he had some hype, then it went away because he didn't have sexy statlines during pre-season. Got him last night for $1. I think prior to pre-season he could have fetched at least $5. Probably dropped a round of 2 in snakes as well. 

Not the way most people define sleepers... but then again it may depend on the league depth and savviness of owners. I can see your argument, he almost went full Jabari, then he didn't.

53 minutes ago, Dominator83 said:

Nope cause he's not less than 40% owned