Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Reason for so many busts this season?


yanksman
 Share

Recommended Posts

It seems almost every RB is a bust this year. Many stud WRs have had several down weeks. It also seems like there are only a handful of stud QBs. TEs suck like usual. So whats going on here?

I know the average team's ppg are down DRAMATICALLY from last year. Last year team's averaged 23 ppg. This year that is down to 21.1 ppg.

Is it the lack of preseason?

My theory is the poor play of QBs... Mahomes, Rodgers,  Brady, Stafford, Murray have diminished weapons. Wilson and Ryan look like they should be closer to retirement than stud QBs. Burrow's offensive line is in shambles. Dak and Herbert are hurt. Other than Allen, Hurts, and LJax all other QBs are leading to poor scoring. Could be some bleak years for the NFL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, yanksman said:

It seems almost every RB is a bust this year. Many stud WRs have had several down weeks. It also seems like there are only a handful of stud QBs. TEs suck like usual. So whats going on here?

I know the average team's ppg are down DRAMATICALLY from last year. Last year team's averaged 23 ppg. This year that is down to 21.1 ppg.

Is it the lack of preseason?

My theory is the poor play of QBs... Mahomes, Rodgers,  Brady, Stafford, Murray have diminished weapons. Wilson and Ryan look like they should be closer to retirement than stud QBs. Burrow's offensive line is in shambles. Dak and Herbert are hurt. Other than Allen, Hurts, and LJax all other QBs are leading to poor scoring. Could be some bleak years for the NFL.

I mean it’s been 3 weeks. Some of these guys u mention have literally had one down week & it was this week. Lamar, Allen & Hurts are going 2 have a down week or 2 as well. I don’t think we can make a judgment off 3 weeks, we need double the sample. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The golden age of NFL QB's is over. We had a bunch of QB's throwing 35+ touchdowns a season, efficient pocket passers. 

Now colleges are throwing up nothing by Lamar Jackson types - guys who can run but suck at throwing. The age of running quarterbacks hurts every other offensive player. They'd rather just try and run with the legs they know they have versus squeeze a ball into a tight window. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yanksman said:

It seems almost every RB is a bust this year. Many stud WRs have had several down weeks. It also seems like there are only a handful of stud QBs. TEs suck like usual. So whats going on here?

I know the average team's ppg are down DRAMATICALLY from last year. Last year team's averaged 23 ppg. This year that is down to 21.1 ppg.

Is it the lack of preseason?

My theory is the poor play of QBs... Mahomes, Rodgers,  Brady, Stafford, Murray have diminished weapons. Wilson and Ryan look like they should be closer to retirement than stud QBs. Burrow's offensive line is in shambles. Dak and Herbert are hurt. Other than Allen, Hurts, and LJax all other QBs are leading to poor scoring. Could be some bleak years for the NFL.

A lot of the talent infusion in the league lately has been on the defensive side of the ball I think.  Many of the 2-1 or 3-0 teams feature defenses playing at a really high level.  Bucs, Broncos, Bills, Eagles, Dolphins, Jags are all top eight in yards and points allowed.

I don't think it's "bleak years in the NFL."  I think it's more scarcity for fantasy players.  I think defense is actually kind of fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

The golden age of NFL QB's is over. We had a bunch of QB's throwing 35+ touchdowns a season, efficient pocket passers. 

Now colleges are throwing up nothing by Lamar Jackson types - guys who can run but suck at throwing. The age of running quarterbacks hurts every other offensive player. They'd rather just try and run with the legs they know they have versus squeeze a ball into a tight window. 

Lamar Jackson is destroying the league through the air lol.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

A lot of the talent infusion in the league lately has been on the defensive side of the ball I think.  Many of the 2-1 or 3-0 teams feature defenses playing at a really high level.  Bucs, Broncos, Bills, Eagles, Dolphins, Jags are all top eight in yards and points allowed.

I don't think it's "bleak years in the NFL."  I think it's more scarcity for fantasy players.  I think defense is actually kind of fun.

I like defense but you need good QBs in the league to be fun. Games like last night's SF-DEN are becoming more the norm this year and that game was UGLY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yanksman said:

Huh? 17th in the league in passing yards? 2 games in a row over 100 yards rushing.

Through 3 games he's thrown 10 TDs and 2 INTs?

If the league had more "bad passers" like Lamar fantasy would be a lot more fun.

Edited by MingusDew
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, yanksman said:

I like defense but you need good QBs in the league to be fun. Games like last night's SF-DEN are becoming more the norm this year and that game was UGLY

With Wilson shifting to a new spot, Rodgers and Mahomes losing their top WRs and breaking in new guys, Brady's entire WR group being broken, Dallas being without Dak, Colts losing Pittman for a week, Bills dealing with Gabriel's ankle, Bengals working around Higgins' concussion, etc. some of these things feel to me like temporary dips that should have bouncebacks provided they get right.

But ATM defenses are taking advantage.  They are talented and they are ahead of the offenses in these places.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for me what has been lost is the next man up type situations don't pan out much anymore. Offenses just move the ball around so much anymore its such a total 100% crap shoot to where it's just not as fun as it used to be. 

Like for example you knew exactly what you were getting with marvin Harrison, to the tee. And you knew that if Harrison had any missed time that exactly Reggie Wayne was the man to own as hed truly take over. Those situations were just alot more common in the late 90s early and mid 2000s. I felt more in control. 

I felt more like my knowledge of players meant something, even tho fantasy has always felt more guess based it was simply to me alot less guessing back in the periods I mentioned above. 

Im personally exhausted doing nothing but making sheer guesses because the ebb and flow of fantasy has shifted so much. But that's just my take. 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's week 3....too early to say someone is a bust.  Lots of slow starts for sure.  The only players I think that might be true "busts" are players who clearly do not have the role they were drafted to have, and even then it's a stretch.  I mean, is Javonte a bust?  We heard plenty that he'd be in a timeshare.  Etienne?  

Someone like Allen Robinson might be a bust bc we all thought he'd be more than just a small complimentary player to Kupp.  Even then, things can turn around there too.

Edited by kp96
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

Through 3 games he's thrown 10 TDs and 2 INTs?

If the league had more "bad passers" like Lamar fantasy would be a lot more fun.

62% completion percentage and his yardage is a**. The offense moves and gets him into the red zone. Mostly based off of his legs. All these teams with running quarterbacks tend to have useless running backs corps behind them because the QB would rather do it himself. It's just Cam Newton extrapolated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I hate fantasy football but I have a rule. Once I win the league, I will retire. I’ve done it in one league and then they called me back two years later to fill a spot and I won the league again and retired. Two more leagues to go and I will free myself of this. 

I’m kinda in the same boat, I retired after I won my main league in 2018 after coming close so many times but got reeled back in 2 years later. Now I just wanna win it one more time and be done with it, but this season has me considering calling it quits after this year regardless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

I’m kinda in the same boat, I retired after I won my main league in 2018 after coming close so many times but got reeled back in 2 years later. Now I just wanna win it one more time and be done with it, but this season has me considering calling it quits after this year regardless

I heard your old roomate is having a similar issue.  

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I hate fantasy football but I have a rule. Once I win the league, I will retire. I’ve done it in one league and then they called me back two years later to fill a spot and I won the league again and retired. Two more leagues to go and I will free myself of this. 

Ok, thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...