NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Donovan Mitchell 2022-2023 Season Outlook

4 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Nope. I think its the other way around. Garland is about to suffer. Nothing extreme for Garland, but Mitchell is a sponge.

I think there's something to coming to someone else's team.

I hear what you're saying, but just look at Harden for example.  He went from most ball dominant player in NBA to fitting into a role pretty seamlessly.

• 3 weeks later...

mitchell is a shooting guard .. i think having garland at point will take some pressure off and help his efficiency 

harden comparison is unfair, because he was 32 when he came to brooklyn .. mitchell just turned 26 which means we should still see prime basketball from him 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BykeINIT said:

1st rounder thus far 

hope garland doesn’t hinder his game 

Garland tbh seems like a great complement in the back court with spida. He’s a pass first guy. They should go to together like PB & J. I don’t think this means the end of spida’s playmaking either 

Right now he is taking just two more shots than he did last year. But he is shooting 49.6% from the field (45% from three, 52% from two). He has shot 44% for his career (36% from three and 49% from two his career). So unless you think he has greatly improved from three, we know that is coming down and thus his scoring is coming down some. (his FT attempts and % is in line with the past 3 seasons for added context).

As for the bump in assists, they could stick. But Garland will be the primary ball handler when they share the court so they probably will come down a little. How much tho is anyone’s guess. For me, I don’t see first round value lasting, but I don’t think anyone expected that who has him anyway so when Garland gets back, Mitchell will be fine. I don’t see an issue with the two of them playing together.

10 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Garland tbh seems like a great complement in the back court with spida. He’s a pass first guy. They should go to together like PB & J. I don’t think this means the end of spida’s playmaking either 

thats what i said initially 

but now seeing how much mitchell is thriving with the ball in his hands, i’m having second thoughts

not saying they won’t be a good duo .. just that the first round production might subside a bit 

im sure they’ll be good irl

Edited by BykeINIT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...