Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rudy Gobert 2022-2023 Outlook


Recommended Posts

How is this going to work in Minny?

Does anyone think this is a good fit?

I believe obviously him and KAT are going to hurt each other tremendously here.

I imagine Gobert loses a ton of minutes and starts playing sub 30 which fighting harder to collect boards and KAT loses in every category except 3s.

It's very strange to me they paired these 2 together.  What's yalls thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Rudy, pretty much nothing is going to change. Not sure why you think him and KAT are going to "tremendously" hurt each other. They got Rudy to play defense and grab rebounds and that's exactly what he's going to do. KAT is soft as hell and prefers to play like a big shooting guard anyway. At worst, Rudy loses maybe 1-2 rebounds. 

14ppg, 12rpg, 2+ blocks for Rudy. He doesn't need usage. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fabrar said:

For Rudy, pretty much nothing is going to change. Not sure why you think him and KAT are going to "tremendously" hurt each other. They got Rudy to play defense and grab rebounds and that's exactly what he's going to do. KAT is soft as hell and prefers to play like a big shooting guard anyway. At worst, Rudy loses maybe 1-2 rebounds. 

14ppg, 12rpg, 2+ blocks for Rudy. He doesn't need usage. 


You think Gobert loses no minutes and continues to play 30+ minutes per game?

You don't see any scenario where they play "small ball" and have KAT at the 5 while Rudy stays bench side?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:


You think Gobert loses no minutes and continues to play 30+ minutes per game?

You don't see any scenario where they play "small ball" and have KAT at the 5 while Rudy stays bench side?

I think that definitely happens. They still have McDaniels, Prince and Slowmo. Best way to make it work in fantasy is draft both 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:


You think Gobert loses no minutes and continues to play 30+ minutes per game?

You don't see any scenario where they play "small ball" and have KAT at the 5 while Rudy stays bench side?

Maybe as an exception, occassionally.  I do not believe the Twolves mortgaged the future to hold back on Gobert.  I expect around 32 mpg.  Still viewing him as a viable late 2nd/3rd rd option for punting assists or FT%.  Provides some leeway with your 2nd big if you’re willing to pay an early premium at C. 

Edited by 80version
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:


You think Gobert loses no minutes and continues to play 30+ minutes per game?

You don't see any scenario where they play "small ball" and have KAT at the 5 while Rudy stays bench side?

Nope. I don’t think you realize just how good Rudy is at rim protection and interior defence - he’s a game changer on that end. He’s going to be absolutely vital to the wolves getting anywhere in the playoffs. Just look at the massive haul they gave up for him. He’s gonna play all the minutes he can handle. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2nd leading rebounding on the Utah Jazz was Whiteside at 5 per game and they NEVER shared the court together. Anthony Edwards would have been tied for the leading rebounder on that team after Gobert and Whiteside. He now plays alongside Towns who rebounds fairly well and has a high motor on the glass.

That drop in rebounds combined with the risk of him not finishing the game some nights makes him too risky at his current price. I think he’s priced as if he could replicate his Utah numbers when I personally see no way that happens.

I love Rudy’s game and for fantasy purposes I wish he didn’t leave Utah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is people are drafting Rudy Gobert like he is still in Utah. If you draft Rudy Gobert like he is on the Timberwolves, the price is about right. Where exactly is the price is about right? 
 

John Collins/Jarrett Allen/ Myles Turner territory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FantasyBallFan said:

The 2nd leading rebounding on the Utah Jazz was Whiteside at 5 per game and they NEVER shared the court together. Anthony Edwards would have been tied for the leading rebounder on that team after Gobert and Whiteside. He now plays alongside Towns who rebounds fairly well and has a high motor on the glass.

That drop in rebounds combined with the risk of him not finishing the game some nights makes him too risky at his current price. I think he’s priced as if he could replicate his Utah numbers when I personally see no way that happens.

I love Rudy’s game and for fantasy purposes I wish he didn’t leave Utah.

KAT was 17th in rebounds last season on averages and his boards have dipped the last 2 seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 80version said:

Vandy could pull down 8.4 boards in 25 min playing alongside KAT.  Assuming KAT’s gonna play the perimeter more now, I think Rudy with 30+  mpg is still good for 12 or so. 

 

Jarred Vanderbilt wont be playing alongside KAT bro he was part of the Utah trade.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Obliviate said:

Jarred Vanderbilt wont be playing alongside KAT bro he was part of the Utah trade.

He never said Vando would be playing alongside KAT. I don’t think you understood the sentence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

KAT was 17th in rebounds last season on averages and his boards have dipped the last 2 seasons. 

Im genuinely not sure what your point is here. Towns was 17th but the second leading rebounder on the Utah Jazz Whiteside wasn’t even in the Top 100. That second leading rebounder was his direct substitute and took none of Goberts rebounding share away.

I believe 12.5 RPG is best case scenario and thats a decent drop off from 14.7. Maybe i’m overreacting but I think many people are forgetting that the Gobert and Kat pairing is serious experiment.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, fabrar said:

Nope. I don’t think you realize just how good Rudy is at rim protection and interior defence - he’s a game changer on that end. He’s going to be absolutely vital to the wolves getting anywhere in the playoffs. Just look at the massive haul they gave up for him. He’s gonna play all the minutes he can handle. 

I agree with this, i’ll add he’s no slouch if he has to move on defense vs a small ball 5 either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't seen anybody mention where they think he should be drafted yet though round-wise -- I have him in the picks 15-20 range (mainly because I don't see any shot blockers I love in this draft, so I'm probably bumping him up a bit higher than he should be for that reason).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sld12 said:

Haven't seen anybody mention where they think he should be drafted yet though round-wise -- I have him in the picks 15-20 range (mainly because I don't see any shot blockers I love in this draft, so I'm probably bumping him up a bit higher than he should be for that reason).

After Davis and Bam for me in the same range as you and I too bump him and the other two up their blocks, fg% and rebs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Im genuinely not sure what your point is here. Towns was 17th but the second leading rebounder on the Utah Jazz Whiteside wasn’t even in the Top 100. That second leading rebounder was his direct substitute and took none of Goberts rebounding share away.

I believe 12.5 RPG is best case scenario and thats a decent drop off from 14.7. Maybe i’m overreacting but I think many people are forgetting that the Gobert and Kat pairing is serious experiment.

 

- You mentioned KAT rebounds fairly well and has a high motor on the glass. My point is he's been average at rebounds in recent seasons (rank 17th in averages last season). 

- Rudy was also barely used on offense in Utah:

- Gobert is going from a defensive-minded coach (Snyder) to one of the best offensive-minded coaches (Finch).

- He is also going from a team that was ranked in the bottom 10 in pace to the team that ranked first in pace last season.

image.png.b452e4a7cc2e64afd4f57f9303bba4c9.png

image.png.605f3e880a2d86fb11b15b9d7a31f584.png

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-team-pace-rankings-2022

With the fastest pace in the NBA, I'm not that worried about Rudy getting his stats, and he should at the very least replicate his 16.6 usage rate from last season.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

- You mentioned KAT rebounds fairly well and has a high motor on the glass. My point is he's been average at rebounds in recent seasons (rank 17th in averages last season). 

- Rudy was also barely used on offense in Utah:

- Gobert is going from a defensive-minded coach (Snyder) to one of the best offensive-minded coaches (Finch).

- He is also going from a team that was ranked in the bottom 10 in pace to the team that ranked first in pace last season.

image.png.b452e4a7cc2e64afd4f57f9303bba4c9.png

image.png.605f3e880a2d86fb11b15b9d7a31f584.png

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-team-pace-rankings-2022

With the fastest pace in the NBA, I'm not that worried about Rudy getting his stats, and he should at the very least replicate his 16.6 usage rate from last season.

Some good points but dropping an additional 7 footer in your lineup will change those pace numbers. I didn’t really speak on his offence because i’m not worried about it. Im worried about his production on the glass seeing as Rebs and Blks are majority of his value.

4 hours ago, sld12 said:

Haven't seen anybody mention where they think he should be drafted yet though round-wise -- I have him in the picks 15-20 range (mainly because I don't see any shot blockers I love in this draft, so I'm probably bumping him up a bit higher than he should be for that reason).

I have him in picks 30-40 on a non punt FT team. I think that 15-20 range is a Utah price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...