NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Onyeka Okongwu 2022-2023 Outlook

I know there is a lot of hype on him but I have reservations. Hawks are gonna go with whoever wins them games so he probably split minutes with Capela at best and they both might sit if they need to go small/stretch the floor. So might not be as much value as people think

Edited by rob0403
  • Like 1

As long as Capela's healthy, I'm not sure if Hawks gives this dude lots of minutes. I agree with rob0403, he'll split some minutes with Capela at best...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DM45 said:

I like the guy but owning him was a bit of a headache last year and I see that continuing. 

Yeah I started season with Capela and added OO later on and was never able to make it work. Feels like there is about a 60-70% chance we're one year early on his breakout, but it's never certain.

• Like 1

Capela and OO already spilt minutes during the 2nd half of last year and normally OO closed games. Why would that change this year? OO is the guy the spent a high draft pick on, who’s much younger with much more potential then Capela. I’d be much more worried if I was a Capela owner. They’re paying him all that money but they clearly feel very strongly about OO. I think they split minutes to open the season, Capela starts and OO closes. As the season goes along I could see OO getting more minutes and a bigger role.

Edited by RedRaider27
  • Thanks 1

Hawks season ticket holder here. Imo its only a matter of time until this dude takes that starters gig or in the alternate take the lions share of the mins (27-29). You could see how much better the Hawks were down the stretch with him manning the 5 for long stretches. His defensive versatility is exceptional and improving. Imo the Hawks, in the Trae Young era, have always been at their best with either Collins or some like Okongwu at the 5 spot. Capela just clogs the paint too much and hurts them immensely in PNR defensive situations. My guess is that their best, closing lineup will be Trae, Murray, BB, Hunter and Okongwu (or Collins). I'd be a buyer of Okongwu's stock next season.

Edited by Code of Hammurabi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Hawks season ticket holder here.

Woah, I didn't know that.  It makes sense, you have ATL in your bio, but I never connected the dots.  I've never seen any Hawks homerism from you.

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Haha 2

Huge Trae fan (if you ever get a chance to see him in person its amazing to watch what that dude does at his size), Btw way just because I'm a season holder doesn't necessarily mean I'm a fan per se. LOL. Love watching hoops and the opportunities to see all the other great NBA stars. Almost 4 weeks until the season starts!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Hawks season ticket holder here. Imo its only a matter of time until this dude takes that starters gig or in the alternate take the lions share of the mins (27-29). You could see how much better the Hawks were down the stretch with him manning the 5 for long stretches. His defensive versatility is exceptional and improving. Imo the Hawks, in the Trae Young era, have always been at their best with either Collins or some like Okongwu at the 5 spot. Capela just clogs the paint too much and hurts them immensely in PNR defensive situations. My guess is that their best, closing lineup will be Trae, Murray, BB, Hunter and Okongwu (or Collins). I'd be a buyer of Okongwu's stock next season.

What do you mean "next season"? 

You talking about the season about to start or 2023 - 2024? 

7 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Huh? 22/23 obviously 

Sorry man.  I realize I haven't been here in a year and guess the way we speak has changed.

Last year here in basketball (and every year before that) and forever in football forum when we're referring to the upcoming season we say THIS season.  EX:  I have high hopes for him to emerge THIS season.

We used to say NEXT season when we were implying they're still a year off due to various factors (Growth & Development, a better player impeding their abilities, etc.).  EX:  I think there's too many things stopping the breakout THIS season, but NEXT season and in Dynasty I think the sky is the limit.

Like I said, I know I haven't been here in a year and I guess things have changed.  I'm just trying to fit in.

So to be clear, when I am referring to the 2023-2024 season, when I used to say NEXT season, what do I say now?  Something like "I can see him really stepping up NEXT NEXT season".  Is that how we do things here?  I'm just trying to fit in and not make waves.  If we want to talk in a way that doesn't make sense to me, I will adapt and try to fit in, no problem.

• Like 1

It might not be this year but you better believe this mf will get his fair share this season. I’m definitely not confident in Capela. Big O will steal a bunch of minutes this season.

This is what I feel as well. I think everyone in the Hawks' fan base want OO to start ASAP but I'd also think management is having difficulty finding the right buyer for Capela. I'd have to check how updated this is but in my last few mock drafts, OO's ADP on Yahoo feels too early for me to bite (90s to 101-ish) and that feels like its too much of a gamble to throw a pick away on a guy with no clear path to starter minutes yet. For now, I wouldn't be surprised if they split the minutes 50-50.

On 9/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Can't wait to see what he can do without Capella there NEXT NEXT season. 

• Like 1