NBC Sports EDGE Forums

James Harden 2022-2023 Season Outlook

Harden is going to be one of the most interesting top 12 picks this year. He's a bit far removed from his days of averaging 30+ on an annual basis with tons of popcorn stats. Last year was fairly underwhelming by his standards, as he posted his lowest scoring, 3s, steals and ft attempts in quite a few years. But we know that he was still suffering from his hamstring injury, and even at Harden's "worst" in many years, he was the #12th ranked player on the year, #7 if you punted fg% and #2 if you punted fg and TOs (which, if you've ever owned Harden before, you're pretty much guaranteed to do anyway).

I'm feeling quite optimistic about the Beard this year. He's had a few months to fully recover the hammy, and should be coming into the season ready to ball. I don't think we can really expect the near-30 ppg Harden again, as he does play with another superstar in Embiid and a budding young star in Maxeyt, but I don't see why he wouldn't be able to average close to 25 this year at least. The assists are going to be elite as usual, as will the fts. He just needs to bring his steals and 3s back up a bit and he could easily be a top 5 player if you're punting fg/TOs (which again, you probably would be doing regardless with Harden).

He currently has an ADP of 10.9 on Yahoo - which I think is still some good value. In 12-teamers, getting him at the end of the first or on the turn would be amazing, as you can probably pair him with someone like Dame, Lamelo or maybe even Bron for a monster double-PG lineup. I wouldn't even hesitate to take him in the top 10 as well, and probably actually prefer him over someone like KAT and Tatum just because there is such a scarcity in assists. 

Thoughts on Harden this year?

• 3 weeks later...

But why you always think about punt? Take Gobert and you have everything balanced. Harden can level Gobert't free throws and Gobert Harden's FG%. Also you have threes, points and assists from Harden and rebounds, blocks from Gobert.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Rbra4176 said:

Is Maxey ahead of him in usage? I know it's only been two preseason games so far but it sure seems like it's a real possibility. 

Saw this coming a mile away. He’s been on a steady decline because he can’t ref-bait like he used to. It’s gonna continue as they groom Maxey. Complex to why give Harden a new deal. But it’s the Sixers. Can’t fix stupid and desperation.

• Haha 2

He started the season off against arguably the 2 best defensive teams in the league and he has lit them up with low turnovers and great fg% on 33 and 8 asts (so far). It was also a good sign to see that when the Sixers were losing by 10 late 3rd quarter, he carried them back into the game. They need him to be aggressive scoring instead of being the pass first guy that he was last year. That would be great for his fantasy value.

Almost thought was a mistake picking him over Curry at Pick 6 !!! No more !!! I am a firm believer in the church of Harden

He is arguably better than his Houston years... 30/6/10 with good % and stocks... !!!

This is the Harden we’ve all been wishing for!!! Man’s on a mission. Sucks the Sixers will be bounced yet again early in the playoffs. Doc needed to be fired this summer.

Edited by L3onD
  • Like 3