NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Collin Sexton 2022-2023 Outlook

I can see something like 26/4/4 with around a steal, great ft% and low TOs. I definitely think fg% will take a bit of a hit though, if he's gonna be gunning it to his heart's content and with all the opposing defenses keyed in on him. He's actually basically just going to be Donovan Mitchell with less 3s lol 

I think people are too optimistic about him. I prefer to draft Markkanen at round 8 rather to take Sexton in round 5-6. In rounds 4 to 6 I usually prefer players with high REB/AST/STL or at least 2 high categories of these three. I don't care about Sexton. Darius Garland is always my man and he will be!

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1

He's played 35 MPG before and never got above 3.3 rebs so it's hard to see him getting over 3.5.  Could hit 5 apg though.  Dunno why he's predicted to have low TO, he's been close to a 3 TO player his entire career and it will go up with more usage.  24/3.5/5; 2 threes, 1.2 steals, terrible blocks (never above 10 in a single season).  45%/84% on 6 free throws per game.  3 turnovers.  Probably rate him top 60, would prefer guys like McCollum/Maxey.  Probably even DAR bc Minn will try to win.  People will draft him for popcorn stats but he's not good on the periphery.  A/TO ratio is bad.  Rebs/blocks bad even for a guard.  Doesn't hit enough threes.  No one in the 6th round has more potential for points, assists, and FT% impact though.  Best comp is probably Brunson.

I have a feeling that the Utah tank will make him sit some random games. Sexton is not SGA but I can see Utah sitting Sexton (even though he might not like it) if they can.

Actually kinda scared of drafting anyone from OKC or Utah. Maybe just use them as streamers

9 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

I have a feeling that the Utah tank will make him sit some random games. Sexton is not SGA but I can see Utah sitting Sexton (even though he might not like it) if they can.

Actually kinda scared of drafting anyone from OKC or Utah. Maybe just use them as streamers

They will definitely rest players.  However, they’re not going to just sit Lauri half way through the season when he’s not a fragile franchise player you need to protect.  If you’re talking auction there’s little more injury devaluation than there is to anyone else.  H2H injury is always a risk.  That’s the variance of H2H.  

Conley, BojBog, Beasley, Clarkson are all around to temper Sexton's minutes. I don't think Utah is done dealing though. Right now I think pick 100 is about right for Sexton until/unless he shows he is totally healthy and has a role to grow in. That said the path to ADP payoff seems obvious

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Goodluck to anyone drafting Spurs or OKC players. I think Sexton will be ok, they'll lose alot with or without him 

I'm not really sure that I'm worried about Sexton being shut down. Let's be real, he's not a good enough player to accidentally win the Jazz some games. He's no SGA, that's for sure. He would make a perfect tank commander for them - volume chucker and a sieve on defense so he's not really a winning player and on a pretty cheap, movable contract they can flip for picks a year or two down the line. If anything, they'll want him to pad his stats to make him look more appealing for a trade. 

Draft him in the 70ish range if you need some scoring and smattering of dimes and don't worry too much. 

Edited by fabrar
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, fabrar said:

I'm not really sure that I'm worried about Sexton being shut down. Let's be real, he's not a good enough player to accidentally win the Jazz some games. He's no SGA, that's for sure. He would make a perfect tank commander for them - volume chucker and a sieve on defense so he's not really a winning player and on a pretty cheap, movable contract they can flip for picks a year or two down the line. If anything, they'll want him to pad his stats to make him look more appealing for a trade. 

Draft him in the 70ish range if you need some scoring and smattering of dimes and don't worry too much. 

Agreed. I think the Jazz will let him do his thing. He’s not on a mega contract so I think he plays through to the end of regular season. 

His efficiently definitely.  I think Sexton has a chance to be a real player.  Was drafted for his defense but has been on tanking teams with insane usage, so we know him as a tank commander. But I still think he could develop into a plus defender, on a good team someday he might have more modest usage, but he is quite efficient.  His future comp potential is someone like Jrue Holiday.  

On 9/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Better or worse than KPJ last season in Houston?

Quite a bit better, just based on efficiency alone. I think his fg will go down this year but it'll still be better than KPJ, and his ft and TOs are significantly better. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Better or worse than KPJ last season in Houston?

Which part of last season? Porter Jr. went from unplayable early in the year to 90th in totals (last 3 months of the season) to 66th (last two months) to 25th overall (final month). 

Meanwhile, Sexton only played 11 games last year and was historically awful. 

On the other hand, Utah isn't done making moves, so who knows?

🤔🤷‍♂️

58 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Which part of last season? Porter Jr. went from unplayable early in the year to 90th in totals (last 3 months of the season) to 66th (last two months) to 25th overall (final month). 

Meanwhile, Sexton only played 11 games last year and was historically awful. 

On the other hand, Utah isn't done making moves, so who knows?

🤔🤷‍♂️

This is the sextonne club. We care not for Porter. 

It seems like no one is concerned he's coming off an acl injury. I personally think it will absolutely affect him to start the year. He probably won't be back to his typical self until mid-season. If that's the case, then his overall season value will take a hit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jay_00 said:

It seems like no one is concerned he's coming off an acl injury. I personally think it will absolutely affect him to start the year. He probably won't be back to his typical self until mid-season. If that's the case, then his overall season value will take a hit.

I thought it was just a torn meniscus. Can you send a link regarding the ACL?

On the side but related to Sexton, I am looking at the picks Utah has in total right now and it isn't THAT impressive. I mean they have a lot of 1st round picks but most of them, like the ones from the Cavs, are probably not that useful. Doesn't feel like this trade resulting with Sexton in Utah was that great and they are praying that Mitchell doesn't stay with the Cavs after his contract ends.

Even if Mitchell leaves after 2024-25 season, Allen, Garland and Mobley will still be there.   Cavs can also trade Michell before 2024-25 season  and get assets back if they think he will leave.

Picks sound good on paper, but Ainge's record with late first round picks  isn't that great

3 hours ago, rob0403 said:

On the side but related to Sexton, I am looking at the picks Utah has in total right now and it isn't THAT impressive. I mean they have a lot of 1st round picks but most of them, like the ones from the Cavs, are probably not that useful. Doesn't feel like this trade resulting with Sexton in Utah was that great and they are praying that Mitchell doesn't stay with the Cavs after his contract ends.

Clippers have an elite team and one of the picks they traded to OKC for PG turned into a lottery pick. No telling how Gobert or Mitchell do on their new teams and the picks can be used to move up in coming drafts. Ainge is savvy he knows what he's doing 

12 hours ago, Pirate said:

I thought it was just a torn meniscus. Can you send a link regarding the ACL?

You're right, my bad. I think I had him confused with Rubio because he was the one with the ACL injury. Disregard my last comment then. He should be good to go by the start of the season then.