NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2022-2023 Rotoworld League: The House of Mutombo Discussion Thread

On 8/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, Gile Pile said:

Would it be possible to post updates on the standings few times during the season?  For the rest of us it would be interesting to see who can  back all the talk in this forum with the results. 

True. I’ll try post the ladder/standings end of each month if I’m in the top half.  We did one these year of the Covid. We had a 6 tie for the league about half way though. After the 67’ish games played as a result of abbreviated season we settled on a 3 way tie for first. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

True. I’ll try post the ladder/standings end of each month if I’m in the top half.  We did one these year of the bat. We had a 6 tie for the league about half way through!! After the 67’ish games played as a result of abbreviated season we settled on a 3 way tie for first. 

Edited by Pirate

15 minutes ago, Pirate said:

True. I’ll try post the ladder/standings end of each month if I’m in the top half.  We did one these year of the Covid. We had a 6 tie for the league about half way though. After the 67’ish games played as a result of abbreviated season we settled on a 3 way tie for first. 

I remember this. The standings kept on changing by FT%.. It was wild. But you were severely in the red, I was reletively green on my games played. I had it won. 

No Covid luck to save you this time.

5 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I remember this. The standings kept on changing by FT%.. It was wild. But you were severely in the red, I was reletively green on my games played. I had it won. 

No Covid luck to save you this time.

C’mon Jack! Lol. I just checked I only played 6 more games than you. The 3 way tie was very fair.

I was last pick that league and went with a risky (but it paid off) double punt of FT% and Assists.

Edited by Pirate

On 8/30/2022 at 3:10 AM, Quazza said:

Man I would love to get into this league some time with all you fine upstanding cretins ❤️

Tatum at 11 feels like the steal of the first round dam 

Might be an opening in a similar league I run. Pm if interested. 

9 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

I see you're trying to duplicate the strat. But not sure if you're punting assist. They look okay.

My assists are very solid. I’m not punting assists with guys like: Garland, Jrue, Russel, Lonzo. Also  with Sexton getting traded I get a bump in that.

9 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

As far as me, going for something unorthodox. Punting FT% and steals. Its what presented to me.  

Double punt is possible but you then gotta be in the range of 9’s n 10’s to elite in all other cats.

55 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Double punt is possible but you then gotta be in the range of 9’s n 10’s to elite in all other cats.

I usually double punt FG% and TO's. 

Coming into the draft, I had a idea where I was heading with the 8th pick, but I wasn't gonna fully commit with the double punt strat right away. But I've seen more and more volume opportunities and I'm all in.

Strengths: PTS, REBS, AST, 3's

Fluctuating: FG%, TO's

Punting: FT%, STLS

It's gonna come down to whether Smith & Claxton can block shots honestly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Coming into the draft, I had a idea where I was heading with the 8th pick, but I wasn't gonna fully commit with the double punt strat right away. But I've seen more and more volume opportunities and I'm all in.

Yeah. Many times if those late pics come off it equals a win. Its usually in the coaches hands with those later pics.

31 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I’d double check your assists. From a glance I’d say a majority have more assists than you.  If you start Cole Anthony then prob about the median.

Edited by Pirate

Heads up just in case anyone here want to join before I post on league finder. Spot just opened up in similar (bunch of forum members) league to this. 

COH, Ajax, Super Jew, RedDog, TOOA, Squints are some of the others. PM me if interested. 

Edited by Pirate

• 2 weeks later...

Inaugural Trade.

Turner Gets:

Jalen Green , Jalen Smith

Trench Gets:

Brandon Ingram, Vanderbilt.

Ingram and Green were both drafted 5th round and Smith 7th. 
Vanderbilt was dropped after the trade. Interested to hear Trench’s rationale. 

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Inaugural Trade.

Turner Gets:

Jalen Green , Jalen Smith

Trench Gets:

Brandon Ingram, Vanderbilt.

Ingram and Green were both drafted 5th round and Smith 7th. 
Vanderbilt was dropped after the trade. Interested to hear Trench’s rationale. 

Sure.

Ingram was one of the main players I was targeting. Had him queued up and ready to go. Unfortuntey he was picked a few spots before my turn. A well established 23, 6, and 6 star player. It was a no brainer for me. Vanderbilt was just a filler since 2 for 1's are frown upon. The trade was centered around Ingram. Sure Green and Smith are upside players, but I already know what Ingram is. And I didn't feel confident in Smith blocking shots and he was clogging my forward spots. I have no problem starting JaVale McGee in one of my UTIL's. Because again, I know JaVale has a high block rate when given minutes and Dallas / Kidd love him. 

I always feel uneasy rostering players who on deliberate tanking teams. That made my decision even easier. I can slot Ingram in and never give a second thought.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Sure.

Ingram was one of the main players I was targeting. Had him queued up and ready to go. Unfortuntey he was picked a few spots before my turn. A well established 23, 6, and 6 star player. It was a no brainer for me. Vanderbilt was just a filler since 2 for 1's are frown upon. The trade was centered around Ingram. Sure Green and Smith are upside players, but I already know what Ingram is. And I didn't feel confident in Smith blocking shots and he was clogging my forward spots. I have no problem starting JaVale McGee in one of my UTIL's. Because again, I know JaVale has a high block rate when given minutes and Dallas / Kidd love him. 

I always feel uneasy rostering players who on deliberate tanking teams. That made my decision even easier. I can slot Ingram in and never give a second thought.

Gotcha. Makes sense as you were targeting Ingram. 

10 hours ago, Pirate said:

Gotcha. Makes sense as you were targeting Ingram. 

There were multiple offers for Ingram as well. We had one deal that was almost done which it was either Green or Klay and Hart who was later dropped for the aforementioned Ingram.

Many other offers were sent but nothing really happened outside a decline.

The offer we did came about fairly quickly the day we did it, it was one offer, one not serious counter but just letting him know everyone I like then the came with the offer we did and I too am much higher on Ingram for the safety and known commodity and that it wasn’t a easy accept and I did try adding Dinwiddie at one point I recall for sure, possibly someone else too but not certain.

3 minutes ago, turner46 said:

There were multiple offers for Ingram as well. We had one deal that was almost done which it was either Green or Klay and Hart who was later dropped for the aforementioned Ingram.

Many other offers were sent but nothing really happened outside a decline.

The offer we did came about fairly quickly the day we did it, it was one offer, one not serious counter but just letting him know everyone I like then the came with the offer we did and I too am much higher on Ingram for the safety and known commodity and that it wasn’t a easy accept and I did try adding Dinwiddie at one point I recall for sure, possibly someone else too but not certain.

I accepted this trade due to the perceived value but personally am not high on Green or Smith but consensus is and I do know that upside is there for both.

That said one or both players are definitely available.

I normally have guys I want and like and perceived value or a consensus win doesn’t matter to me. The possibility of having a set and forget pf/c (not a deep position especially with ones with no glaring weaknesses) was the reason I took the plunge.

Not sure if any of you play dynasty fantasy football but they have these calculators and some people treat them too much like gospel and some players try to be con men and show you them during a offer. For example one person pre rookie draft sent me what may have been a fair offer and the calculator said my side wins but it didn’t take into effect would said players start for me or not, if your win now, win now but still ok making deals for future or straight in rebuild mode. So I declined stating why it was not good for my team and I tinkered with offers using the same calculator until i found one it said he wins then offered it and said your calculator says you win you’ll do it??? He said no and we moved on in good terms. Fast forward to another league and this owner kept saying how these calculators say I win the trade and my counters were too much then he said offer me something this calculator or this calculator says I win and ill take it. I offered him a handful of trades his calculators all said he won but he declined them all and we argued and have rarely dealt since.

A good fantasy baseball article on auctions I like for all sports fantasy auctions but it applies to life too. Basically says if you want it pay the price. He used the example of going to a restaurant and I may screw the items up but you’ll get the meaning, anyways he’s out of town and really wanted scallops but they cost $30 and he’s used to paying $25 so he looks over the item more and sees something for $20 that’s a good deal, he eats it but then leaves unhappy as he wanted scallops he didn’t want the other item but just did it on value. So certain food items or any sports fantasy players whether it be via auction dollars or in a trade I rarely will go with value if I don’t want to begin with. In situations when you are ok with multiple menu items or multiple players in a tier then for sure take the best value but if you really like 1 player from a tier go get him for what he costs in auction, in snake or in a trade and know sometimes it will cost more and sometimes less as every draft/auction/league is different.

Me for example I just took KAT third overall in a $150 nfbkc slow draft when Jokic and Embiid went 1-2. I’m hearing chatter he should be a 2nd rnd pick and at NFBKC his adp is 5 but he is who I wanted.