D/St 2022 Outlook

beerfish

5 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Packers DST, 3rd down:

Gary, Clark, Wyatt, Smith

Walker, Campbell 

Alexander, Stokes, Douglas

Amos, Savage

I don’t think there is a better defense in the NFL. That pass rushing DT combo is potentially league winning if Wyatt is legit

Packers DST is going to absolutely smash this year. 

1 hour ago, harck said:

I like them but Marcus Peters is probably going to miss the early part of the season, and they don't have great pass rush. They always create turnovers though and their early schedule is solid. 

This is the first year in awhile I'm targeting the Ravens.  Criticism of the old D-cord Martindale was his scheme was not friendly from a pass rusher perspective.  Matt Judon and Zadarius Smith leaving and immediately taking a leap in production are some examples.  I'm curious to see how McDonald runs things, but based on the success of Hutchinson + Ojabo and the Michigan D last year, I expect an improvement in the pass rush department (with Oweh set up to have a big year).  Combine that with a rock solid secondary and your only big question mark is inside linebacker.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He sucks, but his supporting cast doesn’t … browns run d sucks so healthy cmc could carve em up

I'm less concerned about that than I am that they can generate some turnovers.

I'm fairly confident we should see some sacks with Garrett going against a rookie LT starting his first game.

I assume with a healthier defensive backfield that we'll see more INTs than they did last year, but we'll see.  I think they got unlucky with fumbles.  That's something the Packers will need to get luckier with as well to vault into a top D/ST standing.

In the past I've analyzed depth charts and advanced metrics as you are doing with them and I haven't found it to necessarily conducive towards picking the "breakout" D/ST unit. 

Sometimes I think you just need to watch the first few weeks and wait and see who is playing with the drive to get strips and picks and ignore the other stuff you know about them. 

Like on paper the Cowboys should have sucked last year.  There have been several years lately where the Dolphins and Patriots looked decent but way overachieved because of their attitude towards turnovers.  It's just hard to tell sometimes. 

That's why I prefer the method of waiting til the last round, I can drop the guys I pick real quick in favor of a hotter option.

18 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

Anyone got a better streamer idea than the titans against NYG in week 1?

Depending on your format the Ravens against the Jets might be a "streamer."  And you could always try your luck that the Jags are still terrible and go Commando, I mean Washington Football Team, whatever they are called now. 

I watched the Jags a couple times and I don't think they are going to hit the ground running, they still look a little lost to me (TLaw didn't play, but the rest of them did, the line still has issues).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Depending on your format the Ravens against the Jets might be a "streamer."  And you could always try your luck that the Jags are still terrible and go Commando, I mean Washington Football Team, whatever they are called now. 

I watched the Jags a couple times and I don't think they are going to hit the ground running, they still look a little lost to me (TLaw didn't play, but the rest of them did, the line still has issues).

The Commies are a little underwhelming looking at last year stats. Did they do anything to help their unit above last year?

I'd like the ravens, but they were already snagged. I am starting to think the Fins at home in Miami against Matt Patricia's offense out of the gate could be a sneaky streamer week 1.

Just now, Dr.Funktopus said:

The Commies are a little underwhelming looking at last year stats. Did they do anything to help their unit above last year?

No, it's purely a "bet against the Jags" play.  I could see it working out though.

1 minute ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

I'd like the ravens, but they were already snagged. I am starting to think the Fins at home in Miami against Matt Patricia's offense out of the gate could be a sneaky streamer week 1.

I could see doing either side of that Dolphins-Patriots matchup, they typically are good for two sided fantasy D/ST goodness, but I don't know how they look their first game without Flores.  I know everyone is scared of Reek but BB usually finds a way to get takeaways.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, Dr.Funktopus said:

One problem last year was that both edge rushers Sweat and Young went on IR.

However, Young still isn't back.  And Jack Del Rio's defenses usually underwhelm.