NBC Sports EDGE Forums

D/St 2022 Outlook

beerfish

2 hours ago, yahyahtrick said:

Thoughts on cowboys? Their first 2 matchups aren’t great but they have a good squad and finished highly ranked last season 

I talked mad $h!t about them all last season, @Pastor3knows.

Dan Quinn has them getting after turnovers.  Even if they give up a few they scoop and score.

I think that's the type of D/ST you want.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I talked mad $h!t about them all last season, @Pastor3knows.

Dan Quinn has them getting after turnovers.  Even if they give up a few they scoop and score.

I think that's the type of D/ST you want.

best SPLASH unit in the leeg last szn, yes ... they racked 'em up. 

it's all about that splash, fellas 

giphy.webp?cid=82a1493b0f0yzr4ph5lfccln2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was feeling decent about picking the PHI D late until they just traded for the coolest CB in the NFL. Now I feel AWESOME. Easy schedule, ranked low on the popular expert lists, love this D pick this year. Can't wait to see who Chauncey trolls into punching him this year

Edited by zorndogs

29 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

I was feeling decent about picking the PHI D late until they just traded for the coolest CB in the NFL. Now I feel AWESOME. Easy schedule, ranked low on the popular expert lists, love this D pick this year. Can't wait to see who Chauncey trolls into punching him this year

Good point.  With the rookie they added (Jordan Davis) -- plus if they continue to run on offense quite a bit...their D could be one of the best.

I'm thinking Browns.  I can get them in the last round or even sometimes not draft a defense to pick them up later, the first month they get Baker Mayfield, Zach Wilson/Joe Flacco, Mitchell Trubisky and Marcus Mariota, and they've got some post hype sleeper appeal with their pass rushers and DB talent.

I wish they generated more takeaways last year, but hopefully they'll get luckier.  If not, easy drop for whichever D/ST unit comes out swinging.

• Like 1

Packers D ... elite "havoc" and top 10 in various pass rush metrics now getting 1 of the best CBs in the league back for a full season? 

I feel like they have the talent to be 1 of those rare set n forget DSTs ... secondary is incredible and now they've added some nice young talent in the first round too 

• Like 2

I totally understand the Packers D argument, but it seems like a lot of people are feeling that.

The Yahoo pre-draft rankings have them as the 5th highest D/ST units and they have the 8th highest ownership.

I am concerned that in order to get them I am going to have to pass on a RB or WR bench option I prefer.

As such, I will have to wish you folks well, as well as the defenses of the Bills, 49ers, Bucs, Colts, Rams, Saints and Broncos.  I'm gonna be playing at the 5 dollar tables with the Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, Browns and Titans, and likely streaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I totally understand the Packers D argument, but it seems like a lot of people are feeling that.

The Yahoo pre-draft rankings have them as the 5th highest D/ST units and they have the 8th highest ownership.

I am concerned that in order to get them I am going to have to pass on a RB or WR bench option I prefer.

As such, I will have to wish you folks well, as well as the defenses of the Bills, 49ers, Bucs, Colts, Rams, Saints and Broncos.  I'm gonna be playing at the 5 dollar tables with the Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys, Browns and Titans, and likely streaming.

Exactly where I'm playing. I acquired the Browns D in the next to last round in my draft because of their coming out of the gate great schedule. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, historyismade23 said:

I want to play Cleveland week 1 too but afraid of the Mayfield "revenge" game even tho he sucks lol

He sucks, but his supporting cast doesn’t … browns run d sucks so healthy cmc could carve em up 

then there’s brisset who could put the D in less than ideal situations 

Ive got back and watched some game tape on Walker / Wyatt (the Packers new draft picks) … based on the schedule, Alexander now healthy, Gary’s emergence, and a potentially elite LB corp and pass rush (not to mention 2 DTs that can rush) … I’m all in on GB

They have the horses to contain Minnesota - then it’s a beautiful schedule for the next month +

Obviously not a lock, but they have the makings of being that NE/JAX type defense that wins matchups for you 

The talent at every level of this defense is incredible, with the data to back it up 

Elite front 7, elite secondary … all the makings of a top DST

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
  • Like 2

I’m a fan of NO. I think there are going to be some ugly games in NO where both teams will try and control clock. I don’t see NO blowing anyone out. Winston in this system has been much more of a game manager than the turnover prone slinger he’s been known for. Makes for low scoring affairs.

Rams have the opposite path to success as a team defense. Ability to blow out teams from the gate and then force turnovers when the other team is playing catchup.

I was able to grab the Rams in the last round / $1, and I think they are sneaky good. They had great stats last year, except they had 0 defensive touchdowns. Give them a few and they vault up the rankings. Seems fluky that they had 0. 

Streaming the Titans in week 1 though against the Giants, as the Rams face the Bills on Thursday.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

I was able to grab the Rams in the last round / $1, and I think they are sneaky good. They had great stats last year, except they had 0 defensive touchdowns. Give them a few and they vault up the rankings. Seems fluky that they had 0. 

Streaming the Titans in week 1 though against the Giants, as the Rams face the Bills on Thursday.

they have some heavy hitters lined up against 'em, but it's a good balance ... 

blows that the 2nd SeaHags game is week 18, tho. 

1 hour ago, whadeeb said:

Any thought on ravens D? I kinda like them to suprise us

I like them but Marcus Peters is probably going to miss the early part of the season, and they don't have great pass rush. They always create turnovers though and their early schedule is solid. 

• Like 1