NBC Sports EDGE Forums

D/St 2022 Outlook

beerfish

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Like usual with the Chargers great on paper but Im not sure I want any DST from that division. 

yes. 

but, the Boltz offense can put opponents in serious ketchup mode toot sweet - those splash play sacks and picks ensue, as does the hilarity. 

ol' Herbie and co are gonna rain some nuclear chit on a foo' this year - even great offenses can get sloppy in desperation mode. 

bonus is their second game vs Denver is week 18, so doesn't matter for us. 

start off wif Carr/'Homie ... but then get a run of: Jags/Texans/Browns/Donks/SeaHags/Mariotas.

holy sheeepchit, Joe - gimme sum!

Edited by Pastor3

43 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

How we feel about that LAC defense 

Actually a great defense to start. I think they'll be fine week 1 at home against the Raiders (possibly without Waller), and you may need a pivot for week 2, but after that it's JAX, HOU, CLE, DEN (find a pivot), and SEA.

Bosa, Mack, James, and Jackson when he's back should be a stacked defense. 

20 hours ago, Evincar said:

How is an offense that has Metcalf, Lockett, Penny and Fant bereft of playmakers?

I'll concede the point that Metcalf and Lockett are both good receivers. Their PFF grades are better than I expected. I'm less convinced that Penny and Fant are difference-makers. And honestly, that's a pretty sad top 4.

23 hours ago, afl5013 said:

Actually a great defense to start. I think they'll be fine week 1 at home against the Raiders (possibly without Waller), and you may need a pivot for week 2, but after that it's JAX, HOU, CLE, DEN (find a pivot), and SEA.

Bosa, Mack, James, and Jackson when he's back should be a stacked defense. 

Houston ...

5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Imo GB D might very well be heading into the top 5 territory of defenses in FF.

Been looking into HAVOC since I heard it on the PFF podcast.

Havoc = (tackles for a loss + forced fumbles + interceptions + pass deflections + pressures) / plays

GB was top 5 last year behind the Bucs, Bills, Cowboys and Niners.

They have further improved their defense and should continue to make big plays. They also have a pretty middle of the road schedule and play in a cupcake division.

They are my outside pick to be the #1 DST in scoring this year. Don't love their start to the season which will keep them from being drafted in a lot of leagues.

Edited by MingusDew
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

Been looking into HAVOC since I heard it on the PFF podcast.

Havoc = (tackles for a loss + forced fumbles + interceptions + pass deflections + pressures) / plays

GB was top 5 last year behind the Bucs, Bills, Cowboys and Niners.

They have further improved their defense and should continue to make big plays. They also have a pretty middle of the road schedule and play in a cupcake division.

They are my outside pick to be the #1 DST in scoring this year. Don't love their start to the season which will keep them from being drafted in a lot of leagues.

Nice stat!

Yeah adding 2 first round picks from one of the best college defenses of the last decade should really help.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

I am getting the PHI D/ST cheaply and liking it. I think they will continue to get better and open with @DET, MIN, @WAS and JAC...

Overall SOS is 31st in the league and WK 13-15 matches against TEN/NYG/CHI.

and the PHI defense just got a little better

57 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Two things concern me about the Eagles.

1.) They sucked at getting turnovers last year, and turnovers are the key to D/ST goodness.

2.) Their safties are turrible.

It's a pretty different squad this year and turnovers (and esp TDs, not that you mentioned it) are not super static from yr-to-yr.

New acquisition Gardner-Johnson is set to occupy a safety role.

Other additions;

LB/EDGE Haason Reddick, CB Bradberry, LB Kyzir White, 1st RD pick and absolute wrecker DT Jordan Davis and also Nakobe Dean. Plus Brandon Graham back.

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's a pretty different squad this year and turnovers (and esp TDs, not that you mentioned it) are not super static from yr-to-yr.

New acquisition Gardner-Johnson is set to occupy a safety role.

Other additions;

LB/EDGE Haason Reddick, CB Bradberry, LB Kyzir White, 1st RD pick and absolute wrecker DT Jordan Davis and also Nakobe Dean. Plus Brandon Graham back.

Yeah, but they have the same DC.  When I listen to DCs talk, some of them you can tell priortize takeaways and some of them prioritize yards allowed (think like, how many times you run a sideline tackling drill as opposed to a tip drill, for instance).  So I think that's my concern.  They have better players but I don't think they will have changed philosophy.

One option that I believe y'all should consider might be the Steelers.

The schedule is a little tough, I'll give you that. 

However, they still have a ton of talent, and now that Teryl Austin has the DC job and Brian Flores, source of D/ST goodness with an overachieving Dolphins unit the past couple years, is on the staff I think this is a group that can rack up picks and fumbles and the defensive scores that sometimes accompany them with enough frequency to offset some high PA games. 

Alualu is back and they drafted Leal to prevent some of the run defense issues that plagued them last season.  

Philly also never generates QB pressure which is what leads to turnovers and more importantly, sacks. Good points for defenses. They have excellent linebackers and a great secondary, but I think with their weakness at edge they won't be a good fantasy defense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, harck said:

Philly also never generates QB pressure which is what leads to turnovers and more importantly, sacks. Good points for defenses. They have excellent linebackers and a great secondary, but I think with their weakness at edge they won't be a good fantasy defense.

Absolutely.

If you have Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, Josh Sweat and Derek Barnett you should have more than 29 sacks.

I think it's a philisophical thing, they prefer keeping points off the board as opposed to the turnover and sack splash plays.  The defensive backs prefer knockdowns and the linemen prefer hurries.  Which is a fine thing potentially for a real life defense, but not much of a boon for fantasy D/ST points.

1 minute ago, yahyahtrick said:

Thoughts on cowboys? Their first 2 matchups aren’t great but they have a good squad and finished highly ranked last season 

Easy top 5 unit for me. Almost everyone back as well as the coordinator. Not a ton in the way of big additions, but even if they regress some (they obv will in TDs) they force a ton of havoc with their front 7 and cover up well on the back end. Plus they got some kid that looks electric returning kicks and punts....also 4 games against the Commies and Giants!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

This Eagles talk has me thinking of dropping the Colts for them. Was already considering the Dolphins too. Anyone care to chime in & compare or rank?

I'd be very leery of the Colts to start the season, if Darius Leonard (now known as Shaquille Leonard) is out of the lineup (as it seems may be the case for Week 1 and perhaps a little longer).