NBC Sports EDGE Forums

D/St 2022 Outlook

beerfish

Maybe it's presumptuous but in regards to defense I primarily look at playoff matchups and the Baltimore Ravens have what I like.   Especially if Watson is out year...

Week 15: at Cleveland

Week 16: home against Atlanta

Week 17: home against Pittsburgh

Edited by Farfromhome
  • Like 2

49ers start the year with the Bears and the Seahawks. PFF's 6th rated DL.

Broncos start the year with Seahawks and Texans. PFF's 17th rated DL.

Green Bay has PFF's 3rd rated DL and a middling schedule.

I'm probably grabbing SF if they're available. Have a good feeling about them and like their start.

• Like 4

I stream Ds so I've been looking at who has good early matchups. There have been many years I've spent all my time researching position players and at the draft I just take the highest rated D left with my last pick, then realize after the fact their week 1 matchup sucks so I have to waste moves and transaction fees taking care of that.

A few I've been looking at : 

SF - highly rated and great week 1 matchup(Bears). Good chance someone will have already drafted them before me

Denver - fringe top 10 D and good week 1 matchup (vs Seahawks)

New Orleans - fringe top 10 D and good week 1 matchup (vs Falcons)

Baltimore - top 15 D playing the Jets week 1

Good matchups but questionable defenses : 

Tennessee (vs Giants)

Carolina (vs Browns)

Edited by owenmills

• tonycpsu changed the title to D/St 2022 Outlook

I always have a hard time taking a defense before the 13rd round. When I see teams drafting Ds and Kickers before the 10th it means they leave Drake London, Skyy Moore, Elijah Moore, Dameon Pierce, etc available and I find myself stacking high ceiling talent. 

If you want to draft a D early I really like the 49ers. Drake Jackson looked dominate in his preseason game, Kinlaw is a giant and 1st round talent that also looked good, they have been shutting down the Niners offense in camp and getting a ton of turnovers. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, beerfish said:

Season long, Rams or 49ers? 

9ers for me, especially because Aaron Donald might be missing time lol.

I want to throw out the Colts as well. Great start to the season (Texans and Jags) and they should be a solid defense on a team playing with a lead often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

9ers for me, especially because Aaron Donald might be missing time lol.

I want to throw out the Colts as well. Great start to the season (Texans and Jags) and they should be a solid defense on a team playing with a lead often. 

I don't think Donald will miss any time.  NFL doesn't have purview over practices, does it?

Early favorable matchups (give or take) until I start streaming:

• Browns: at CAR, NYJ, PIT, at ATL
  • Packers: at MIN, CHI, at TB, NE, NYG, NYJ, at WAS
  • Ravens: at NYJ, MIA, at NE
  • Saints: at ATL, TB, at CAR, MIN, SEA
  • Eagles: at DET, MIN, at WAS, JAX
  • Bengals: PIT, at DAL, at NYJ, MIA
  • Bills: at LAR, TEN, at MIA, at BAL, PIT
  • Commanders: JAX, at DET, PHI, at DAL, TEN, at CHI
  • 49ers: at CHI, SEA, at DEN, LAR, at CAR, at ATL
  • Colts: at HOU, at JAX, KC, TEN
  • Broncos: at SEA, HOU, SF
  • Chargers: LV, at KC, JAX, at HOU, at CLE, DEN, SEA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 8/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, MingusDew said:

49ers start the year with the Bears and the Seahawks. PFF's 6th rated DL.

Broncos start the year with Seahawks and Texans. PFF's 17th rated DL.

Green Bay has PFF's 3rd rated DL and a middling schedule.

I'm probably grabbing SF if they're available. Have a good feeling about them and like their start.

I've been taking SF in virtually every mock draft I've done. The Bears likely won't be great, and the Seahawks could be a historically bad offense this year - that O-line is awful and the offense is bereft of playmakers, particularly if Walker isn't healthy to start the season.

Edited by djmax101
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

• Saints: at ATL, TB, at CAR, MIN, SEA

whoa - 3 divisional games to start, and they have played the Tombo Bucs very tough - now they have a hurting o-line for this encounter. 

Falcons/Bakers should yield sweet pernts.

Vikes will be tough, i feel that is the team making the biggest forward leap this year, but ol' Kirk can still have his off days. 

... and then Seattle? 🥳

sign me up for 5 weeks of this goodness.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pastor3 said:

whoa - 3 divisional games to start, and they have played the Tombo Bucs very tough - now they have a hurting o-line for this encounter. 

Falcons/Bakers should yield sweet pernts.

Vikes will be tough, i feel that is the team making the biggest forward leap this year, but ol' Kirk can still have his off days. 

... and then Seattle? 🥳

sign me up for 5 weeks of this goodness.  

Lol you said Bakers 😂 

• Haha 1

Eagles should be good this year. Cake schedule and their roster is solid.

Packers should be similar. Top 5 roster and a lot of favorable matchups.

Should be able to grab both will little issue at the end of the draft or off waivers from my experience so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wekko368 said:

I don't think Donald will miss any time.  NFL doesn't have purview over practices, does it?

Nope, you're right. Anyone calling for a suspension has no idea how the NFL actually handles these things. 

Not saying the guy who asked was calling for it. I'm talking about all of Twitter who just want him off the field. 

Edited by afl5013

On 8/15/2022 at 12:23 PM, Fried Pork Grind said:

When I see teams drafting Ds and Kickers before the 10th it means they leave Drake London, Skyy Moore, Elijah Moore, Dameon Pierce, etc available and I find myself stacking high ceiling talent. 

Um, no, that's auto-select & likely a team that never had an actual "person" as the team owner. Auto-select teams are predominant in site managed leagues & those with newbie league managers that don't realize that the site will even load their custom league with bots!  

5 hours ago, djmax101 said:

I've been taking SF in virtually every mock draft I've done. The Bears likely won't be great, and the Seahawks could be a historically bad offense this year - that O-line is awful and the offense is bereft of playmakers, particularly if Walker isn't healthy to start the season.

How is an offense that has Metcalf, Lockett, Penny and Fant bereft of playmakers?