NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rachaad White 2022 Outlook

MonsterMan

• 5 weeks later...

From watching his college tape, he's not really a pure runner and has a very odd running style.  He's a great pass catching running back, but needs to learn how to use his size.  Tom Brady doesn't generally want a rookie RB on the field if he can help it, but White did grade out great as a pass protector.  Don't mind me, I'm just talking out loud to try and justify rostering this kid.

• Like 1

Would never feel comfortable starting him with Fournette on the field, who also catches a crap-ton of balls, so I'm viewing him as a high upside handcuff because of the offensive situation. But I find myself every year dropping handcuffs for other guys after week 1 anyway.

• Like 1

They're not locked into Fournette for the long term. They paid him but it's not that much, certainly not to the degree to think they might keep rolling him out heavy if White shines and/or Fournette falters. Factoring in where White is going in the draft, he's a low cost high upside flier just like most other guys going in that range. I really don't see the downside of taking him and seeing what happens. 

40 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

They're not locked into Fournette for the long term. They paid him but it's not that much, certainly not to the degree to think they might keep rolling him out heavy if White shines and/or Fournette falters. Factoring in where White is going in the draft, he's a low cost high upside flier just like most other guys going in that range. I really don't see the downside of taking him and seeing what happens. 

I made sure to grab him in a keeper league because of this.  I definitely think he could become the starter next season if things play out right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WEIL3R said:

I made sure to grab him in a keeper league because of this.  I definitely think he could become the starter next season if things play out right.

Next season they'd have $5.5M in dead cap if they cut Fournette but they would clear just about that much in cap space also. Not the best time to move on but not completely prohibitive either. If they do hang onto him next season then the third and final year of the contract costs very little in dead cap to cut him. Either way, if White produces I think his role will grow and he looks like a fine keeper/dynasty pick. 

1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

I think they trust Vaughn more this year as the backup. This kid is more of a dynasty play.

If they pegged White as someone they need next year or the year after then that's a weird allocation of draft capital for a contender with a closing window to win again. There were all sorts of players in the third round who could help them now. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Next season they'd have $5.5M in dead cap if they cut Fournette but they would clear just about that much in cap space also. Not the best time to move on but not completely prohibitive either. If they do hang onto him next season then the third and final year of the contract costs very little in dead cap to cut him. Either way, if White produces I think his role will grow and he looks like a fine keeper/dynasty pick. 

You're right.  I'm seeing $5.33M in dead cap vs. $8.66M cap hit for 2023, so unless he burns some bridges, gets injured, or underperforms...it probably won't make a lot of sense to let him go.  There's a chance, but it won't make sense if he performs in 2022.  For some reason I thought he would only cost $2M to cut in 2023, but I missed some of the finer details.

Oh, good grief. It's like some people are really trying to strap the rocket to this guy a bit prematurely. Fournette isn't a corpse, much less broken down. White is a rookie, and a 3rd rounder at that. It's not like there's that much draft capital invested in him. He's not some stud in the making at this point.

White is a good long term play for right now, but he's not taking over in a year just because.

Edited by SkittleMania
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LAeagle said:

You’re wrong! I drafted white so you’re wrong! I have no argument to backup my claim but you’re wrong!

You jest, but that's the kind of bizarro world logic going on in the Jordan Mason thread. I don't know if the main instigator in there is doing a bit, is the President of that guy's fan club or what.

Edited by SkittleMania

On 8/31/2022 at 10:45 AM, ThePerfectBeard said:

From watching his college tape, he's not really a pure runner and has a very odd running style.  He's a great pass catching running back, but needs to learn how to use his size.  Tom Brady doesn't generally want a rookie RB on the field if he can help it, but White did grade out great as a pass protector.  Don't mind me, I'm just talking out loud to try and justify rostering this kid.

I'm curious where you read that he was great in pass protection. Everything I read seemed to indicate it was closer to the opposite. 

3 hours ago, SkittleMania said:

Oh, good grief. It's like some people are really trying to strap the rocket to this guy a bit prematurely. Fournette isn't a corpse, much less broken down. White is a rookie, and a 3rd rounder at that. It's not like there's that much draft capital invested in him. He's not some stud in the making at this point.

White is a good long term play for right now, but he's not taking over in a year just because.

He's a high end handcuff that could steal some high value touches from Fournette. 

5 hours ago, Evincar said:

He's a high end handcuff that could steal some high value touches from Fournette. 

Calling him a high-end handcuff is a bit of a stretch. He didn't really show anything spectacular during the preseason, and the minute he let's Brady get blown up, those high value touches will evaporate. I'm not buying the hype.

Maybe next year.

11 hours ago, Spyplane said:

If they pegged White as someone they need next year or the year after then that's a weird allocation of draft capital for a contender with a closing window to win again. There were all sorts of players in the third round who could help them now. 

They clearly want another useful receiving back. Thats what Bernard was going to be but its not working out. Now they used a draft pick to add a guy. Brady loves this type of rb. 

It remains to be seen how big of a role White will earn this season. Im expecting not much at all early. As the season progresses though i could see him getting more run. A guy to draft if u have a bench deep enough to wait for the reward later on. 

It will be rbbc if Fournette gets banged up at least to start. White will get on the field a lot as a pure pass catching back. Probably be similar to a New England backfield with Vaughn getting early down work and White taking all the pass catching back duties in a James White role. Brady loves his pass catching backs and Racaad was the best out the draft this year. He’ll get his opps when the time comes. Definite PPR handcuff to Fournette.