NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyler Murray 2022 Outlook

The G Man

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Fair, but you don't necessarily have to be a great NFL QB to be great in fantasy. See: Jalen Hurts

Kyler needs to use his legs more than everything will work out.  The main issue is he may be holding back in fear of injury due to how the last 2 seasons went.  Hopefully next week he scampers around w 10+ carries and rushing TDs then everything should be back to normal.  If he tries to just be a pocket passer tho he will struggle bc the dude is tiny how can he see over linemen. 

13 hours ago, owenmills said:

Arizona had an awful game and Kyler dropped 20 points in my league. What am I missing? Seems like he'll be a great fantasy QB this year, regardless of how dysfunctional the team is. Garbage time counts as much as the 1st quarter

The offense right now is real close to the worst in the league. When things aren't going well Kyler tends to lower his head and shell up. I get what you're saying, this was a terrible game and he still got 20. My concern is this team is so bad they're just gonna crumble this year and he'll lose motivation to really try. 

10 hours ago, YK35 said:

Kliff Kingsbury is one of the most overrated coaches in the league. Might even be number 1 on the overrated list.

7 hours ago, scheibler said:

I think it’s Kyler that’s overrated

They both are, but as much as I'm not a Kyler fan I don't think you can put this one on him. He never has time to throw, and essentially has no one to throw to. Also a little demoralizing when you know KC can score on your defense at will. 

This is a very poorly coached team that is severely lacking talent, that also has a brutal schedule. 

I do think Murray was overpaid, but give him weapons and even an average OLine and he'll put up some huge weeks. Unfortunately that won't be this year. 

Did losing Rondale Moore really change everyone's outlook on him? I would like to see him run more for sure and play more confident but let's see what happens Week 2 before we already bury him. 

Im guessing they will lean on Ertz more as I can only assume his calf is better after coming out of Week 1 unscathed. 

This is a HUGE week for Murray's outlook this year. The Raiders are pretty mediocre and it's a borderline must win for the Cards due to their tough schedule if they want any shot at the playoffs. This will also let us know if even with this depleted offense Kyler is still capable of putting up 25+. Gonna be tough. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 11:42 AM, rollobobo said:

Did losing Rondale Moore really change everyone's outlook on him? I would like to see him run more for sure and play more confident but let's see what happens Week 2 before we already bury him. 

Im guessing they will lean on Ertz more as I can only assume his calf is better after coming out of Week 1 unscathed. 

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan.  Drafted him in one league when I was on tilt.  Did think he had a good shot to come out hot like he usually does and be a top 5 QB first half of the season.  But the Cardinals looked bad.  Real bad.

He and Russ are the most overrated QBs in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan.  Drafted him in one league when I was on tilt.  Did think he had a good shot to come out hot like he usually does and be a top 5 QB first half of the season.  But the Cardinals looked bad.  Real bad.

I'll give you Kyler, but Russ? Overrated qbs don't come inches away from consecutive super bowl titles. 

33 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I can respect that. He definitely needs to play with more confidence and make things happen. The offensive line didnt do him any favors that for sure. Hopefully we will see some big improvement in Week 2. I seriously don't understand why he doesn't run more. They need to do more Play Action, in my opinion. 

23 hours ago, WVFalcon said:

I'm alright with Kyler this week. Cardinals defense is atrocious, which I believe gives Kyler a solid floor, at least out of volume. Even if he plays like crap IRL, I think he'll still have solid fantasy output.

This is where I'm at. The D is so bad you can pencil the Raiders in for nearly 30. That'll force Murray to be active. The concern is, outside of like 70 rushing and a TD, I'm not sure how high his ceiling is. It's just hard to envision a scenario where he goes off. 100 for Hollywood, 50 for Ertz, 50 for Dortch, another 50 to the RBs, then say another 50 sprinkled around maybe? Puts him at 300. I guess that's conceivable. 

The offense looks like a bunch of guys you meet at the park randomly and just make up plays on the fly. 

Could still be fantasy productive but he is taking a lot of hits behind that O-Line.

The offense in general looks lost with Hopkins in there.  There is only so much Murray can do but he is still a solid bet for fantasy purposes even if the team is a train wreck. 

1 hour ago, yanksman said:

Bingo

Hes Baker Mayfield with more running ability. 

Kyler may be overrated.  But this comparison makes no sense.  Mayfield has 7 games in his past 31 where he threw for more yards than Kyler averaged last year.  Kyler is a much better and more aggressive thrower and Kyler has at least produced elite WR seasons before.  I think Russell Wilson is as close a comparable as you can get, for better or for worse.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

Kyler may be overrated.  But this comparison makes no sense.  Mayfield has 7 games in his past 31 where he threw for more yards than Kyler averaged last year.  Kyler is a much better and more aggressive thrower and Kyler has at least produced elite WR seasons before.  I think Russell Wilson is as close a comparable as you can get, for better or for worse.  

They remind me of each other because they have no pocket presence. They run around like chicken Littles the moment the pocket collapses and play street football.

Yeah, if you ignore the 5% better completion rate, the 1300 yards rushing, the 14 rushing TDs, and the 23 less interceptions, despite playing for 1 less season... then yeah, Baker and Murray are practically identical.

For fantasy purposes:
Baker has totaled 963 fantasy points in his 4 years + week 1. (61 games)
Murray has totaled 1012 fantasy points in 3 years + week 1. (47 games)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2