NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyler Murray 2022 Outlook

The G Man

52 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Its funny how the Cardinals revised the contract to take out the study portion of it as if that would automatically make it all better and make people stop talking about it. Like.... your just bringing even more attention upon it lol 

Their statement didn’t even really help, they didn’t come out and definitively say that he studies by himself and so the clause wasn’t needed. Instead they said the clause was a distraction in the media lol.

Forget about the absolute embarrassment of the contract, I have concerns from a fantasy perspective as well. Limited receiving options here, he'll be under pressure a lot, and my guess is he runs less now that he got paid. I don't know his exact ADP but it should be in the bottom of the QB1s IMO. 

• 3 weeks later...

Murray had that shoulder injury in 2020 that slowed down the season he was having. Last year he got hurt week 8 vs the packers but he got back going at the EOY. I think hes set up for a breakout season if he can stay healthy going into only his fourth year. 

He lost Kirk and Hopkins is declining(I think hes still going to be useful this season with alot to prove)and suspended but he now gets a full offseason with Ertz and his college teammate Brown. Brown with Murray is interesting fig Murray was 3rd in deep ball accuracy rate last season per player profiler. 

My main strategy on QB is get one of Lance/Murray/Hurts but try to not reach for it.  I'm also ok with the big 3 that go earlier if they fall but those guys dont fall into that late 6th-7 or later range in my drafts often. I think any of these 3 mobile QBs are pretty good bets for a potential QB1  finish that doesnt cost you a top 5 round pick. They also have the cheat code rushing floor we love in mobile qbs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 1:52 AM, buzzkilloton said:

Murray had that shoulder injury in 2020 that slowed down the season he was having. Last year he got hurt week 8 vs the packers but he got back going at the EOY. I think hes set up for a breakout season if he can stay healthy going into only his fourth year. 

He lost Kirk and Hopkins is declining(I think hes still going to be useful this season with alot to prove)and suspended but he now gets a full offseason with Ertz and his college teammate Brown. Brown with Murray is interesting fig Murray was 3rd in deep ball accuracy rate last season per player profiler. 

My main strategy on QB is get one of Lance/Murray/Hurts but try to not reach for it.  I'm also ok with the big 3 that go earlier if they fall but those guys dont fall into that late 6th-7 or later range in my drafts often. I think any of these 3 mobile QBs are pretty good bets for a potential QB1  finish that doesnt cost you a top 5 round pick. They also have the cheat code rushing floor we love in mobile qbs.

Agreed. Got him in the 6th and with Burrow, Brady, and Dak coming off the board thereafter in the same round, I am comfortable and delighted with my pick.

You also gotta think with all the unnecessary controversy surrounding his film study and the removal of that from his contract, he's got an axe to grind to prove all the doubters wrong.

Edited by Shimmycocopuff

8 hours ago, Shimmycocopuff said:

Agreed. Got him in the 6th and with Burrow, Brady, and Dak coming off the board thereafter in the same round, I am comfortable and delighted with my pick.

You also gotta think with all the unnecessary controversy surrounding his film study and the removal of that from his contract, he's got an axe to grind to prove all the doubters wrong.

I can't really see how the whole film study thing doesn't come out as a positive for him, yet people were talking like it was a negative.  If he was that good without studying, imagine how good he'd be if he studied.  Anyways, like Kyler commented, the game is too hard to not study so I'm sure he was anyways.

As for his play this year, sounds like that defense could be pretty weak.  Cardinals are going to be in a lot of shootouts in a lot of dome games.  This offense is going to have to put up points and I have a lot more faith in those coming from the passing game than the running backs.  Once Hopkins is back Murray will have his best 1-2 WR tandem he's ever had.  Similar skillsets to when Murray won the Heisman in college throwing to Brown (Brown) and Lamb (Hopkins).  I think Murray is as good a shot as anyone behind Allen to win MVP.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Arizona had an awful game and Kyler dropped 20 points in my league. What am I missing? Seems like he'll be a great fantasy QB this year, regardless of how dysfunctional the team is. Garbage time counts as much as the 1st quarter

This was suppose to be a 'shoot out' at home and they completely were overmatched. In the past, if Kyler only drops 20 then you felt like you dodged a bullet if you were his opponent in fantasy. Now it seems this dude is going backwards in his career progression, and the 30-40 burgers everyone assumed would be coming seem like a tough reach.  His value is the rushing TDs and rush yards w crazy techmobowl passing stats.  Their weapons are just not that great w o Hopkins.  Ertz n AJ are statues w no wiggle and Hollywood is pretty undersized speed burner.  I am honestly not sure what this team is suppose to do in terms of what Kylers strengths are but they took a major step back if the goal was a deep playoff run in probably the hardest division in NFC. 

Kyler will either step up his overall game or he's gonna crumble.  Going to be interesting to watch because every year this dude could content for the #1 QB spot in fantasy. 

Edited by Zak0221

4 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

This was suppose to be a 'shoot out' at home and they completely were overmatched. In the past, if Kyler only drops 20 then you felt like you dodged a bullet if you were his opponent in fantasy. Now it seems this dude is going backwards in his career progression, and the 30-40 burgers everyone assumed would be coming seem like a tough reach.  His value is the rushing TDs and rush yards w crazy techmobowl passing stats.  Their weapons are just not that great w o Hopkins.  Ertz n AJ are statues w no wiggle and Hollywood is pretty undersized speed burner.  I am honestly not sure what this team is suppose to do in terms of what Kylers strengths are but they took a major step back if the goal was a deep playoff run in probably the hardest division in NFC. 

Kyler will either step up his overall game or he's gonna crumble.  Going to be interesting to watch because every year this dude could content for the #1 QB spot in fantasy. 

Hopkins is back in a month. If Kyler is scoring 20 points in a bad game without him, are things going to get better or worse when he's back?

People can choose to worry about whatever they want. This seems like a waste of energy when so many other players actually shat the bed in fantasy this weekend and have worse long-term outlooks

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

Hopkins is back in a month. If Kyler is scoring 20 points in a bad game without him, are things going to get better or worse when he's back?

People can choose to worry about whatever they want. This seems like a waste of energy when so many other players actually shat the bed in fantasy this weekend and have worse long-term outlooks

I wouldnt worry about Kyler as where everyone drafted him theres nothing you can do w him but hope he turns it around. 

I am more amazed at where his progression is as a QB both real life and fantasy because he is suppose to be potentially a top 5 QB talent in the NFL. 

Edited by Zak0221

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

Youre taking for granted that Hopkins isnt washed up. 

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

I wouldnt worry about Kyler as where everyone drafted him theres nothing you can do w him but hope he turns it around. 

I am more amazed at where his progression is as a QB both real life and fantasy because he is suppose to be potentially a top 5 QB talent in the NFL. 

Fair, but you don't necessarily have to be a great NFL QB to be great in fantasy. See: Jalen Hurts