NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kyler Murray 2022 Outlook

The G Man

35 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lmao.

just my opinion but I don’t think many players will be great if you have to be “forced” to study on your own.

the great ones will study twice that amount on their own. 

agreed. 

but, ya know ... alotta this falls on Kliffy, too - he allowed it to go on, for whatever reason - no excuses.  

Kliffy guilty of clown show "coaching" 🤡🥳🤡

• Like 3

This team is in the most crucial position this year in terms of their future outlook.   An unsuccessful season means they're stuck for at least two more years with an expensive QB they may regret, and they'll be on the hunt for probably a new coach and GM who have to work around that albatross.   They'll be set back years if that happens.    

It's crazy to me that Kyler, articulated to the sports world as thoughtful and intelligent, would underestimate the value of preparation. Aside from its universal disadvantages, Kyler, of all players, a mobile quarterback with tremendous physical gifts, has been consciously limiting his ceiling, which is much higher than most QBs, by avoiding film study.

I just can't wrap my mind around it and it makes me wonder how much he loves the game and what kind of culture they have out in Arizona. I guess it's the kind of culture that caters to losing five of your last six games last year year and five of their last seven the previous. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

So all the rumors were true. What a major f--- up by the Cardinals this is going to be.

If he acts like a child and is built like a child he’s a child.

Exactly. It amazes me the cardinals didn’t let this out before the contract talks to attempt to lower his asking price. 

I cant imagine giving this type of money to someone who apparently doesn’t want to be the best he can be. 

Seems to me like the cardinals let this leak on purpose. Put a little pressure on Kyler after investing so much money. Not a good look, but it’s the only thing that makes sense. 

I kind of like the news getting out if I’m a Murray owner. Time to put up or shut up 

Edited by Breesus

35 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

I wanna know what exactly Kyler was doing in those hours he should have been studying and or watching game film..

The orange line represents the release date of each year's new Call of Duty game.

I stole these from Twitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

The orange line represents the release date of each year's new Call of Duty game.

I stole these from Twitter.

The new Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 release date is 10/28/22 so I expect the following 2 weeks to be duds at minimum as well.

The thing is it’s only 4 hours a week. Not even an hour a day?

Like wtf are you doing all week? Monday is typically recovery and per the NFLPA you don’t even have to be in the building Tuesday. Saturday is usually a travel day and walk through sort of thing.

4 hours a week. What a ******** clown. I’m sure most elite QBs are spending 15-20 hours on film a week without having to be treated like a 7 year old studying for a math test. 

Kyler Murray has defended his film study and game preparation after the Cardinals included an "independent study" clause in his contract extension. 

"There’s multiple different ways to watch film," Murray began. "Of course we all watch film. That doesn’t need to be questioned. I refuse to let my work ethic and my preparation be in question. I’ve put in an incomprehensible amount of time in what I do." Murray also said he was "flattered" people believed he could have success without studying film, but that the game is "too hard" for that. Murray is irritated at the questions about the highly unusual clause in his deal, but the team should be the recipient of his ire. They are the ones who insisted on its inclusion, and almost certainly the leaking party. In the end, of course, this should be much ado about nothing. Perhaps Murray needed to watch a little more film. Now he will, and the earth will keep spinning. 

----------

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.  On one hand, he has been publicly embarrassed so, if he has any pride at all, he will be studying film.  Good for the team.

On the other, every time he screws up, he's going to be accused of not studying film and not knowing what the other team is doing.  If he is actually prepared, then he's in for a ton of possibly unwarranted grief.

On 7/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Gohawks said:

The thing is it’s only 4 hours a week. Not even an hour a day?

Like wtf are you doing all week? Monday is typically recovery and per the NFLPA you don’t even have to be in the building Tuesday. Saturday is usually a travel day and walk through sort of thing.

4 hours a week. What a ******** clown. I’m sure most elite QBs are spending 15-20 hours on film a week without having to be treated like a 7 year old studying for a math test. 

To the bolded part - he's gaming. All the jokes aside (it is a joke lol) but seriously he's gaming instead of putting the time in. He's a heck of talented player but having to put that clause into a contract is very odd. Seems as the season goes on he loses focus. Other players/teams are putting in film study to adjust and improve and he seems to not be doing that.

What could be for this guy if he can get his stuff sorted out. So much talent.

Have any of y'all seen North Dallas Forty?

Heard any stories about the old timers and their nights on the town before games, etc?

I mean being too distracted to study a playbook isn't exactly new.

I think it's just a lot lamer that he's playing vidya games than drinking and chasing women, right?