Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dameon Pierce 2022 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Pass protection blocking examples:

Here he is throwing down a LB, who was drafted in 5th round, in 1 on 1 drills for Senior Bowl. While it may or may not get a flag for holding, it shows how serious he is about blocking:

 


 

Here is another blocking example from  another practice with the Twitter poster claiming, I do not not know if true, that Pierce did not give up a single QB pressure when blocking during 2021 season. 
 

 

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nine9s said:

Pass protection blocking examples:

Here he is throwing down a LB, who was drafted in 5th round, in 1 on 1 drills for Senior Bowl. While it may or may not get a flag for holding, it shows how serious he is about blocking:

 


 

Here is another blocking example from  another practice with the Twitter poster claiming, I do not not know if true, that Pierce did not give up a single QB pressure when blocking during 2021 season. 
 

 

I'm probably wrong about this...

But it's my understanding that pass blocking is less about the physicality and more about scheme/responsibility and being in the right place to provide the needed protection. 

Really I don't know tho.

Anyone care to chime in?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grungejrrgv said:

I'm probably wrong about this...

But it's my understanding that pass blocking is less about the physicality and more about scheme/responsibility and being in the right place to provide the needed protection. 

Really I don't know tho.

Anyone care to chime in?

I think both are quite important.  Having the strength, desire and physical technique is necessary but useless if the back does not make the correct read and block the assigned player.

If Pierce went through an entire season without letting up a single QB pressure, he was likely locked in on both aspects.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Grungejrrgv said:

"... But it's my understanding that pass blocking is less about the physicality and more about scheme/responsibility and being in the right place to provide the needed protection. ..."

Yeah, placing yourself between the blitzer & your QB has to be like 90% of effectiveness. But Woody Allen once said, over 90% of what accounts for getting the job is showing up for the interview... Your 5' 10 or 11" 220+lb RB is still confronted with the same physics problem of stoning the momentum of a 6'3" 240lb blitzing rocket! But the 5'9" sub-200lb RB or smaller only has one card to play, which is the cut block. That exploding LB, literally every time has the reach advantage. So he's able to get a hand on the helmet, maybe the back portion of the shoulder pad, something, just enough to sweep the foot & knee away from that block. There's a slowed step, back then he's right back on his horse. While, your guy is now on the ground. The other side is that guys like Pierce & Allgeier are seemingly NOT ideal down & distance threats with the football. But anytime it's about protecting the QB 1st, the guy that can buy your QB an additional second is who they want out there.        

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Grungejrrgv said:

I'm probably wrong about this...

But it's my understanding that pass blocking is less about the physicality and more about scheme/responsibility and being in the right place to provide the needed protection. 

Really I don't know tho.

Anyone care to chime in?

I've seen RBs botch blocking assignments both ways, so they both matter. But yeah I guess being in the right place is paramount. If you can't do that you don't even have the chance of becoming a speed bump

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a recent article from a Florida fan perspective about its past coach and Pierce:  https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/08/08/dameon-pierce/

 

Excerpts:

Dan Mullen at his best could draw up plays to exploit weaknesses against the best of team.

He did after all almost lead a team QBed by Emory Jones to a win over Alabama last season.

But Mullen’s strength led to his weakness and ultimately his downfall.

He felt he could take random dudes and still win consistently.

As a result, some very talented players were criminally underused in the Dan Mullen era and NFL training camp is providing that.

One area was his insistence on using a running back rotation and providing equal carriers for everyone.

Dameon Pierce is proving Dan Mullen didn’t know what he was doing.

Then it demonstrates how Pierce outplayed every RB on Florida's team but the coach kept his usage low.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MingusDew said:

When you look up 0RB in the dictionary it's just a picture of Dameon Pierce.

Except in a "ORB strategy" you're drafting RB's late in a draft to just get production.  By time most drafts occur, Pierce is going to be going in the top 5-8 rounds & maybe in the 4th round based on how he looks in the preseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Except in a "ORB strategy" you're drafting RB's late in a draft to just get production.  By time most drafts occur, Pierce is going to be going in the top 5-8 rounds & maybe in the 4th round based on how he looks in the preseason.

Yeah I know. As of today he's like a round 8-10 guy and that's firmly 0RB territory.

I think he's a 5th rounder by end of month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

I think he's a 5th rounder by end of month. 

I'm not sure about that.  Feels like the normies are still expecting Marlon Mack to get most of the work and the stigma of Texans offense will keep him round 7+ at least I'd figure.  He's not moving up the boards as fast as ARob or some of the other training camp risers thus far.  Hard to find many places where he is inside pick 100.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm not sure about that.  Feels like the normies are still expecting Marlon Mack to get most of the work and the stigma of Texans offense will keep him round 7+ at least I'd figure.  He's not moving up the boards as fast as ARob or some of the other training camp risers thus far.  Hard to find many places where he is inside pick 100.

God willing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Pastor3 said:

kid's amassing quite the fan club ...

 

I'm taking him earlier than ADP. I'm not saying he's Arian Foster but I went early on Arian Foster(?)🤔 before he was Arian Foster(!) 💥😎💥 and I was fine with being the a**hole who went early on a guy who failed to live up to good buzz. I've been that a**hole before and I'll be that a**hole again.


I've also been the a**hole who went early on a guy who people were unsure about and who did well and who I then gloated about. I'll probably be that a**hole again also! 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

I'm not saying he's Arian Foster but I went early on Arian Foster(?)🤔 before he was Arian Foster(!) 💥😎💥 and I was fine with being the a**hole who went early on a guy who failed to live up to good buzz. I've been that a**hole before and I'll be that a**hole again.

4th round in 2010?

High five.  Awesome year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...