NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dameon Pierce 2022 Outlook

He's still kinda sneaking under the radar.   I don't see how he doesn't work his way into top spot in the committee there this season, but obviously it might take time.  

Seems like a mirror of the Michael Carter situation last year.  Bleh offense, veterans around but nobody a half decent rookie can't surpass.  Also both guys were drafted at #107 overall.   Difference is, Carter was what, a 6th, 7th round fantasy pick last year?  Pierce is still outside the top 40.    He's perfect for your bench at that price.

Edited by BrianM

I think he has a good chance to be the most productive RB from the 2022 draft class, short term and long term.  He is a running back who should stay on the field.  He is a good receiving RB, so can stay on 3rd down, and he is a very good blocking RB, also can stay on field on 3rd down, and he is good in short yardage carries (he squatted more weight than his linemen could) , so he can stay on field in the red zone.  That last part might indicate a grinder, but he averages well on runs, so while he might not tear off 50+ yard TD often, he should average above 4 yards a carry between the 20s.  I think he really has a chance to be a David Johnson, in Johnson's prime, type RB for a few years.  

His film shows all the above, receiving, blocking, goal line and general running ability. His only knock is that he was not used much, but that is coaching fault - likely one of the reasons the coach was fired. When he played, he played very well. 

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

League winner, I’m actually annoyed my drafts don’t start for another month. That ADP is gonna sky rocket over preseason. 

Reported today that he has been given three nick names so far, Brain, Tough Guy and Dog by a pro bowler as in he the dog.  If his peers are giving him positive nicknames already, he must be exceling in their eyes and they like him too. 

Edited by nine9s

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

League winner, I’m actually annoyed my drafts don’t start for another month. That ADP is gonna sky rocket over preseason. 

I don't think any Texans RB is gonna skyrocket barring some massive preseason game. You should be fine. Most people just ignore the backfield. 

• Like 1

After 3rd day, first in pads:

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/lists/texans-training-camp-dameon-pierce-momentum-day-3/

Dameon Pearce is gaining momentum

Although Houston signed free agent running backs Marlon Mack and Dare Ogunbowale in the offseason as part of a plan to get their running game back on track, after a lackluster season where the leading rusher produced only 427 yards rushing on 122 carries, the Texans were looking for an upgrade. Even though they went the free agency route, they may have found their feature back in this year’s draft.

Pierce has shined in his first three days of camp. His quickness and ability to cut without breaking stride has stood out. Even with pads on, Pierce looked as if he only got stronger. He will make it hard for first-year play caller Pep Hamilton to keep him out of the games this season.

Edited by nine9s

15 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He'll likely have most of the pass catching and RZ duties and even for a bad team that's worth a double digit round flyer.

You think he will get targets? That’s even better. He wasn’t asked to do much receiving at Florida. 

i was thinking they use Burkhead for that 

Edited by affliction

1 minute ago, affliction said:

You think he will get targets? That’s even better. He wasn’t asked to do much receiving at Florida. 

Yeah none of the UF backs caught too many passes but he was an involved in that phase of the game as any.

I think he's more efficient on screens and wheels than Burkhead would probably be at this stage of the game, and Mack has never been much of a pass catcher even before the Achilles.

The pass blocking will probably tell the tale but ATM I'd have Pierce with GL and pass catching work.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:50 PM, Ryansm11 said:

"League winner, I’m actually annoyed my drafts don’t start for another month. That ADP is gonna sky rocket over preseason." 

I've experienced the down side, but I really like managing my teams through camp. The other upside, as an LM, is more time to evaluate new members. I was only able to pickup Pierce in redraft. Low-center, shorter gait with some real slip. In keeperdom I felt James Cook &/or Isaiah Spiller were on better offenses. A similar player to Pierce who might remain under the radar is Tyler Allgeier. Like Pierce, ran in the 4.6s, but still offers a 3-down skillset. Accordingly, may be scheme dependent, really did well running outside zone. Which, I've read makes him a great fit there in Atlanta, half their runs were outside zone. Factor in Desmond Ridder's dual threat ability .. things could get out of hand. Lotta ifs tho.        

• Like 1

He is physical, highly competitive and dead serious when on the field, but a likeable class clown off the field.   If he plays as I think he will combined with someone reporters are going to love to interview, he will be a household name for NFL fans.

Edited by nine9s