NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathon Isaac 2022-2023

Curious to see your opinions on him.  I've seen him play in Orlando and sure he's a stocks god, 2.3 bpg/1.6 spg the last time he played a full season.  But he also has significantly more offensive upside than any defensive stalwart I've ever seen.  Extremely athletic and can get to the rim.  Leverages the threat of penetration to open a decent three-point shot (33%).  Orlando is saying he might be ready for training camp.  Of course, he could be on restrictions, and Orlando has more forwards than before.  I could see top 15 ceiling but also no floor.  Where do you take him in redraft?  I just traded for him in dynasty.

Maybe a last round upside pick, depends on news closer to draft. Yeah the forward spot is a little crowded at the moment (Wagner, Banchero, Okeke, WCJ (63% of min at PF last season), Isaac). Assuming Wagner and Banchero play 30+ min that leaves around 36 minutes to be split. Magic should shift WCJ back to center with Bamba off the bench with Banchero at the 4. Without any roster moves/injuries with the current Magic roster, I can't see Isaac cracking 20 min next season, especially after his long recovery time from injury. It's crazy that while Magic hope he'll be ready for camp, he is still without a timetable after nearly 3 years. 

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1

Is he even cleared to be on the court yet? Serious question. I have never seen a player THAT injured. Hell even Gordon Hayward came back a year after that brutal injury. Can’t convince me otherwise…he is being…b…nevermind. 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, ginocan said:

Is he even cleared to be on the court yet? Serious question. I have never seen a player THAT injured. Hell even Gordon Hayward came back a year after that brutal injury. Can’t convince me otherwise…he is being…b…nevermind. 

You never seen Jay Williams or Bobby Hurley? 

• Like 1

They probably should/will trade him once they’ve had a chance to showcase him.  I’m absolutely convinced he’s no longer injured.  He suffered one acute severe injury and another while in recovery for that one.  But his injuries are not chronic.  

On 7/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, StifleTower2 said:

Curious to see your opinions on him.  I've seen him play in Orlando and sure he's a stocks god, 2.3 bpg/1.6 spg the last time he played a full season.  But he also has significantly more offensive upside than any defensive stalwart I've ever seen.  Extremely athletic and can get to the rim.  Leverages the threat of penetration to open a decent three-point shot (33%).  Orlando is saying he might be ready for training camp.  Of course, he could be on restrictions, and Orlando has more forwards than before.  I could see top 15 ceiling but also no floor.  Where do you take him in redraft?  I just traded for him in dynasty.

Hard to have an opinion when they Magic avoid talking about him and when they do they offer up almost nothing.

On 7/16/2022 at 4:42 AM, ginocan said:

Greg Oden was pretty ****** up most of the time. They're probably trying to avoid a Greg Oden situation.

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

Hard to have an opinion when they Magic avoid talking about him and when they do they offer up almost nothing.

They said they hoped he would be ready for training camp, which admittedly is hardly concrete.  I think this is going to be a situation in which everyone dismisses him, and has doubts about whether he will even play, and suddenly when he does play it will dispel all doubts.

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Greg Oden was pretty ****** up most of the time. They're probably trying to avoid a Greg Oden situation.

I mean it could be anything. We just don't know. I rostered him the year he went down, and he was absolutely dynamite before the injury. Loved him.

Also, the injury was not a result of brittleness, a la Greg Oden. He tangled his leg between the legs of a fallen player, and twisted it gruesomely. 

I feel for the guy. But at this point, the only thing that could move the needle on him is to see him on the court. No words from Orlando can be trusted.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 10:14 PM, StifleTower2 said:

They said they hoped he would be ready for training camp, which admittedly is hardly concrete.  I think this is going to be a situation in which everyone dismisses him, and has doubts about whether he will even play, and suddenly when he does play it will dispel all doubts.

Weren't they saying that a year ago during the summer?

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Weren't they saying that a year ago during the summer?

I think he suffered another minor injury and decided to hold him out to tank.  There was also the political nonsense but that should be over.  🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I think he suffered another minor injury and decided to hold him out to tank.  There was also the political nonsense but that should be over.  🤷‍♂️

He suffered another injury later on in the season, not around camp unless I'm mistaken. They were acting last year this time just like they are now. Maybe it will be different this time but it is something to be mindful of.

Edited by Spyplane

On 7/26/2022 at 3:01 AM, fb-ninja said:

He was 22 when acl tears happen. Lavine was 21, Murray was 21 they are both all stars now.
In young age players can bounce back to the ability they have before injury

God I miss the golden years of human lifetime. 21-25 on top of the world feeling like nothing can break you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

he clearly had opportunities to provide offensive punches but failed, so it's really hard to expect that now with that stacked frontcourt (who can all score.)

you're banking on his stocks being ridiculous like in the past. really tough.

I really wouldn’t say he failed to score when given the opportunity.  He’s only had one full season.  He played 28 mpg and scored 12 ppg efficiently.  That’s more ppm than similar stocks monsters such as Roco or Mikal Bridges.  He’s a reasonable outside shooter and athletic enough to take it to the rim, drastically more athletic than other 3 and D players. 

I think he will have the stocks but it won't be as high as the 2019-2020 season. Even if he got better at it that year, he only played half the season and it could due to in part chance as he could have averaged less for the second half of the season as well. I think around 2.5 - 2.7 stocks, which is high player-wise and already a higher expectation than his first two years, is a reasonable expectation.

That depth chart is so stacked with the number 1 pick playing PF and Franz playing SF (yeah sure maybe move Franz to SG and play Isaac to SF) that it's risky. Also the Magic not trying to win, his knee is still questionable, there are more scoring type players, haven't played in a year or more... it's such a high risk to draft. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, ginocan said:

God I miss the golden years of human lifetime. 21-25 on top of the world feeling like nothing can break you. 

File this under "Things Jonathan Isaac never said"

Isaacs 44:24, 27, 28: “This is what Jontahon says, . . . ‘the One saying to the deep waters, “Be evaporated, and I will dry up all your fantasy squads”; the One saying of Isaacs, “He is my shepherd, and he will completely carry out all my will”; the One saying of Orlando Magic, “She will be rebuilt,” and of your Hopes, “Your faith will be laughed at.”’”

• Like 1

How the hell are you supposed to predict what this guy is going to do?? Does he start? Does he come off bench? Is he a Center? Power Forward? Small Forward? Does he play more than 50 games?.......He has not played for something like almost 2 years?....Ok....I'll predict 11.8 points....4.8 rebounds ...0.8 steals ...1.3 blks...53 games played...25.1 minutes per game.....Just as good a guess as any.

4 hours ago, dino10k said:

How the hell are you supposed to predict what this guy is going to do?? Does he start? Does he come off bench? Is he a Center? Power Forward? Small Forward? Does he play more than 50 games?.......He has not played for something like almost 2 years?....Ok....I'll predict 11.8 points....4.8 rebounds ...0.8 steals ...1.3 blks...53 games played...25.1 minutes per game.....Just as good a guess as any.

Si dieu veut.