NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Godwin 2022 Outlook

6 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

Grabbed him in the 8th as my WR4 in a 12 team. I waited late to grab WR so I'm pretty happy to have gotten Godwin at that point in the draft. He may start off slow but I think he'll return to form midway through the season.

I was shocked how late I got him in an early draft to but I think he keeps moving up ADP. I plan to be dominating in December with my starters as Jameson Williams Michael Gallup and Chris Godwin. I only draft injured players for extra value

19 hours ago, smeeze said:

If anyone really wants him, they’re probably going to have to take him in the late 50s/early 60s to ensure they get him.

Just for the sake of discussion, yahoo has him in their predraft rankings at 88 overall, I did a draft last night where he went 95, and on that platform in a half PPR format his ADP is 93.

I think he is a player whose draft range swings wildly depending on your platform and how many risk averse people you are drafting with.  If you're in a room full of Kenny Rodgers types on a different platform it looks like you have to take him about where you are saying.

The difference between where you are seeing him go and where I am I think makes the difference on whether he is a good pick or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Just for the sake of discussion, yahoo has him in their predraft rankings at 88 overall, I did a draft last night where he went 95, and on that platform in a half PPR format his ADP is 93.

I think he is a player whose draft range swings wildly depending on your platform and how many risk averse people you are drafting with.  If you're in a room full of Kenny Rodgers types on a different platform it looks like you have to take him about where you are saying.

The difference between where you are seeing him go and where I am I think makes the difference on whether he is a good pick or not.

Yea, it's wild CBS has him top 50, yahoo barely top 100.

You're still getting a very good WR at a discount due to injury.  The question is how big a discount, and how much value it really has.

I like him in yahoo.  If I can get him in the 7th+ rounds I don't need him to be back to form in the first month or two.  But a 5th round pick... that's almost always someone you need to immediately produce.

I'd rather take a shot on Michael Thomas there, because if he's back to form, or close to it, it's gonna show right away.

Godwin and Dobbins are two guys I'd have in the back of my mind as trade targets a month in or so if you've got a solid record.  Let their owners deal with frustration and then swoop in before they get back to themselves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Yea, it's wild CBS has him top 50, yahoo barely top 100.

You're still getting a very good WR at a discount due to injury.  The question is how big a discount, and how much value it really has.

I like him in yahoo.  If I can get him in the 7th+ rounds I don't need him to be back to form in the first month or two.  But a 5th round pick... that's almost always someone you need to immediately produce.

I'd rather take a shot on Michael Thomas there, because if he's back to form, or close to it, it's gonna show right away.

Godwin and Dobbins are two guys I'd have in the back of my mind as trade targets a month in or so if you've got a solid record.  Let their owners deal with frustration and then swoop in before they get back to themselves. 

Yeah I'm not going out of my way to target guys who are currently injured, or who are "ahead of schedule" of a typical injury, as the discount isn't always commensurate with my concern (see Dobbins) but Godwin at around 100 definitely satisfies my concern.

Agree with you that they could be trade targets for me somewhere down the line as well.

To me Godwin is one of those ones that pairs so well with a guy like Cooks or Hollywood or Lockett, where you kind of know what you are going to get and they enable you to take Godwin there and see what happens by October or so, and no one in the equation breaks the bank.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

gage is back at practice…

“Gage (leg) was able to return to practice this past week, leaving him on track to be available for the Week 1 matchup against the Cowboys, the team's official site reports. "He's getting better and better every day," head coach Todd Bowles said. "We expect him to be on track to play and trending in the right direction."

FREE RUSS GAGE. Sounds 100%. The guy has averaged 500 yds & 3 TDs for 4 years! If he finally gets his opportunity for 1-2 weeks without Godwin starting, he will definitely take over. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Hops said:

“Gage (leg) was able to return to practice this past week, leaving him on track to be available for the Week 1 matchup against the Cowboys, the team's official site reports. "He's getting better and better every day," head coach Todd Bowles said. "We expect him to be on track to play and trending in the right direction."

FREE RUSS GAGE. Sounds 100%. The guy has averaged 500 yds & 3 TDs for 4 years! If he finally gets his opportunity for 1-2 weeks without Godwin starting, he will definitely take over. 

take over sounds a bit much. what he can do is…be solid every wk. i’m not buying godwins health. not buying julio- at all 🤣, and. then there is mike. mike is solid and on a hall of fame trajectory…so essentially IMO it’s mike and gage. i know that’s not the popular take, but it’s what i’m thinking…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That doesn't sound incredibly confident.

I'm planning on not starting him in September at a minimum.

it was a longer chain than what i posted, Eqqi ... he basically said the only people who know anything are him, his wife, and his physical therapist - said that he reads updates on his status and has no clue how folks are forming their opinions. 

🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pastor3 said:

it was a longer chain than what i posted, Eqqi ... he basically said the only people who know anything are him, his wife, and his physical therapist - said that he reads updates on his status and has no clue how folks are forming their opinions. 

🤷‍♂️

Got it.

16 hours ago, Pastor3 said:

That doesn't sound like a guy that's anywhere near ready.  He also was mystified at the media reports that said he was "close" or returning game 1. I'm going to guess he returns somewhere between weeks 3 and 6 at the earliest.

Edited by harck

When asked if he'll play week 1: "“That’s a great question,” Godwin said. “I don’t think any of us know that yet . . . In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think it matters that much. I would love to be there for the entire season, but I think what’s more important is being there for the second half of the season. Being there for what I missed last year.”

Week 5 sounds about right...

On 9/5/2022 at 9:14 PM, Hops said:

That's so disrespectful to the player that Godwin is. He's elite in many categories. Gage isn't elite in anything. Solid player and I do like him but he's no where near Godwin

1 minute ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

That's so disrespectful to the player that Godwin is. He's elite in many categories. Gage isn't elite in anything. Solid player and I do like him but he's no where near Godwin

A bit delusional on Gage as well.

Russell Gage had plenty of opportunity last year.  He was the number two WR before Ridley went off the reservation and then the #1 after that.  Pitts and Patterson got more targets than he did because they were better.  Gage just kind of blends in with the furniture a lot.

He's a poor man's Jameson Crowder.