NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Godwin 2022 Outlook

19 minutes ago, Pastor3 said:

thanks, ol' Smeezy - i wasn't aware of these developments. 

I’m sure that’s not true but here’s a recap from Greg Auman from the Atlhletic:

If you watched Tyler Johnson in the preseason, you saw the only Bucs receiver who was: A) healthy enough to play; and B) consistently productive. That makes it harder to understand the reasoning behind the team’s decision to waive him Tuesday.

Johnson led the Bucs with 11 catches and 133 receiving yards in preseason action. In Saturday’s finale against the Colts, he had the only catches for conversions on third or fourth down in the entire game. He was wonderfully inexpensive, due to make $1.9 million over the next two years to finish his rookie contract.

So why was he the odd man out as the Bucs pared down their deep group of receivers to seven on the 53-man roster? The Bucs opted to keep Jaelon Darden, Scotty Miller and Breshad Perriman, cutting Johnson loose, as well as three promising undrafted rookies who ideally could come back on Tampa Bay’s practice squad.

First, Johnson doesn’t have a role on special teams, which is also true for the Bucs’ top four receivers — Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Julio Jones and Russell Gage — so the backups really need to have value there. Darden should be handling punt returns, and Miller could get more work as a gunner, something he showed promise at in brief work last season.

Second, Johnson got a long look last year when the Bucs had a slew of receiver injuries, and the results were underwhelming: 55 targets and zero touchdowns, and just 10 yards per catch on his 36 receptions. He doesn’t have Miller or Darden’s speed, and he has more drops than he should, including one on Tom Brady’s first pass Saturday night.

What’s surprising is that no teams thought enough of Johnson to offer a late-round pick and acquire him; he’ll certainly be among the players claimed off waivers Wednesday.

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

I’m sure that’s not true but here’s a recap from Greg Auman from the Atlhletic:

If you watched Tyler Johnson in the preseason, you saw the only Bucs receiver who was: A) healthy enough to play; and B) consistently productive. That makes it harder to understand the reasoning behind the team’s decision to waive him Tuesday.

Johnson led the Bucs with 11 catches and 133 receiving yards in preseason action. In Saturday’s finale against the Colts, he had the only catches for conversions on third or fourth down in the entire game. He was wonderfully inexpensive, due to make $1.9 million over the next two years to finish his rookie contract.

So why was he the odd man out as the Bucs pared down their deep group of receivers to seven on the 53-man roster? The Bucs opted to keep Jaelon Darden, Scotty Miller and Breshad Perriman, cutting Johnson loose, as well as three promising undrafted rookies who ideally could come back on Tampa Bay’s practice squad.

First, Johnson doesn’t have a role on special teams, which is also true for the Bucs’ top four receivers — Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Julio Jones and Russell Gage — so the backups really need to have value there. Darden should be handling punt returns, and Miller could get more work as a gunner, something he showed promise at in brief work last season.

Second, Johnson got a long look last year when the Bucs had a slew of receiver injuries, and the results were underwhelming: 55 targets and zero touchdowns, and just 10 yards per catch on his 36 receptions. He doesn’t have Miller or Darden’s speed, and he has more drops than he should, including one on Tom Brady’s first pass Saturday night.

What’s surprising is that no teams thought enough of Johnson to offer a late-round pick and acquire him; he’ll certainly be among the players claimed off waivers Wednesday.

ya know whut, Smeezy? 

THE TEXANS DON'T GIVE ONE SHAVED RAT'S NUTSACK

😆

anywhooooo .... back to ol' Qwendale Crisp 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Do you know what the “A” in ADP stands for?

You know there's many websites that the ADP isn't the same? There's plenty of people in here that got him way later then his ADP because ADP means nothing really. Depends on league, website, rules etc. Terrible way to be basic but do you

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Depends on the format.

Yahoo has had him near 100 in their pre-draft rankings so he probably goes later in those than he does in formats where his pre-draft rankings are highers.

Pretty much but people like to try to be funny guys when they're just not bright. ADP is meaningless when you don't play with just one set of rules. Almost every league of ours will be different. Bonuses, no bonuses, different point tds, ppr , no PPR etc. There's a million ways it could be and ADP isn't helpful for mine. My rules are so different that I can't find any ADP list that lines up with my leagues

2 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Pretty much but people like to try to be funny guys when they're just not bright. ADP is meaningless when you don't play with just one set of rules. Almost every league of ours will be different. Bonuses, no bonuses, different point tds, ppr , no PPR etc. There's a million ways it could be and ADP isn't helpful for mine. My rules are so different that I can't find any ADP list that lines up with my leagues

Yeah, when your settings are vastly atypical, hopefully you know the guys you are drafting with.

In general I wouldn't take ADP as gospel, because live people are always going to make different choices that muck up your plan, but I would take it as a general guideline for which way MOST people will go if your league settings are relatively close to standard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

You know there's many websites that the ADP isn't the same? There's plenty of people in here that got him way later then his ADP because ADP means nothing really. Depends on league, website, rules etc. Terrible way to be basic but do you

I'm not arguing how useful ADP is (hint, it's useless) but pointing out his ADP can't possibly be high because you have a sample size of n=2 of him being drafted much lower is peak irony

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

(hint, it's useless)

I'd say it depends on your league.

Like is as not, humans are pack animals.  Most of us find comfort in reaching conclusions that are shared by others, that's why there are "like" buttons.

Some have found success "zigging where others are zagging" in specific cases and some use it as a general rule but I wouldn't say that's the overwhelming majority.

I think if you use ADP for your website of choice and aligned to your league rules as closely as you can, a majority of the time you can create yourself a map.  If you bear in mind that each round, one or two of your choices for that map will probably get "sniped" and perhaps one od two of your earlier targets might slip, and you have contingency plans for those scenarios, I think that works better than assuming it's all made up and winging it, in my experience.

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

I'm not arguing how useful ADP is (hint, it's useless) but pointing out his ADP can't possibly be high because you have a sample size of n=2 of him being drafted much lower is peak irony

Have more then just two, just pointing out my own. I've seen many many money leagues and not one yet has him drafted in the 50s or whatever that dude said. He's not a top 50 dude this year with the injury. Idc what the ADP says. You're (not literally you) fool if you take him with 4th/5th rounder when you get him at least another round or two later.

I'm willing to bet most people that drafted already that own him for him 6th round or later. 

44 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Have more then just two, just pointing out my own. I've seen many many money leagues and not one yet has him drafted in the 50s or whatever that dude said. He's not a top 50 dude this year with the injury. Idc what the ADP says. You're (not literally you) fool if you take him with 4th/5th rounder when you get him at least another round or two later.

I'm willing to bet most people that drafted already that own him for him 6th round or later. 

I agree it’s way too early, but on average he’s going to go in the 50’s, just what the ADP data tells us. If anyone really wants him, they’re probably going to have to take him in the late 50s/early 60s to ensure they get him. Regardless, I’m out on him at that price because I’d rather wait a year on a guy coming back from a major knee injury.

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

I agree it’s way too early, but on average he’s going to go in the 50’s, just what the ADP data tells us. If anyone really wants him, they’re probably going to have to take him in the late 50s/early 60s to ensure they get him. Regardless, I’m out on him at that price because I’d rather wait a year on a guy coming back from a major knee injury.

Yeah I hear that. Adrian Peterson is the last one that worked out very well for me off a big knee injury.