NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Godwin 2022 Outlook

• 4 weeks later...

Realize this is not a new update (dated 7/26), but looks like the thread could use a little bump.

How we feeling 'bout Godwin this season? Will he pick up right where he left off, or is there gonna be a working back into form and/or too many mouths to feed to make him a reliable WR2?

Bucs WR Chris Godwin (ACL) has been cleared for the beginning of training camp.

Neither he nor Lavonte David (Lisfranc) will start on the PUP list. This isn't a guarantee that Godwin will be ready for the start of the season, but it's big news in a sea of PUP listings that Godwin won't be among them. An early return could cut into the targets of Mike Evans and Russell Gage, though playing with Tom Brady will provide a high floor for everyone involved. 

Jul 26, 2022, 4:27 PM ET

Edited by The G Man

An all but certain WR2 as far as I'm concerned.   Even if he misses a few games, he should easily grab 90 balls for around 1100.  

Whether he does more or not depends on how many TD's he can grab.  Was WR13 overall in PPR last year despite 3 missed games and only 5 TD's.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

An all but certain WR2 as far as I'm concerned.   Even if he misses a few games, he should easily grab 90 balls for around 1100.  

Whether he does more or not depends on how many TD's he can grab.  Was WR13 overall in PPR last year despite 3 missed games and only 5 TD's.   

Damn, when you put it like that, it makes me more bullish on Godwin.  Even if he goes on the PUP to start the season and misses 4 games, I think it's reasonable to imagine he can produce a similar stat line.  Gronk is gone with no real replacement.  And while Julio was brought in, I can't imagine he gets more than AB got last year, so the "too many mouths" thing doesn't really concern me.  The ONLY concern I have with Godwin is the idea that players seemingly take time to get back form an ACL tear once they're back.  Of course not always the case.  We saw AP put up 2,000 yards after tearing his.  Cooper Kupp was the WR4 in 2019 after tearing his ACL late in 2018.  

If his ADP stays around WR21 I think I might be all over that.  You can grab guys like Hollywood, Theilen, Mooney, St. Brown etc. a round or 2 afterwards and use them to float you for a few weeks until CG is back.  Plus Godwin's ADP at 54 overall puts him in the 5th round so conceptually you could already have 2-3 WRs on your team by then and plug Godwin on the bench until he's ready to go.

He seems to be ahead of schedule. Or, at the very least making very good progress in his rehab/recovery.

Chris Godwin (ACL) returned to practice Friday. 

It's a significant development for Godwin, who was not placed on the PUP list at the start of Tampa's training camp. Godwin, who suffered a late-season ACL injury in 2021, probably won't suit up for Week 1 against Dallas, according to The Athletic's Greg Auman, though it seems an extended regular season absence for Tom Brady's slot guy is unlikely. Godwin was seen Friday morning wearing a brace on his right knee, sprinting and catching passes with fellow Bucs wideouts. Godwin could pay off handsomely for fantasy managers who have drafted him in the middle rounds this summer. 

Aug 5, 2022, 8:54 AM ET

He was a freaking stud last year after a slow-ish start- I'd prefer his high floor talent over Evans in half ppr and PPR, but the ACL is definitely a concern. Draft strategy for him would be a rock solid WR1 in front of him to mitigate some risk. I wouldn't want a low-end WR1 to partner with him.

ACL injury for a speed/shifty WR gives me pause. In that video above, watch closely as he's still limping/favoring the injured leg. They are patting him on the back because they know it's over for him in terms of the player he was. Does not mean he's done as an NFL WR, just means he may never be the same. I hope he recovers but as someone who has had a knee injury once it's broke it's never the same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blazer said:

ACL injury for a speed/shifty WR gives me pause. In that video above, watch closely as he's still limping/favoring the injured leg. They are patting him on the back because they know it's over for him in terms of the player he was. Does not mean he's done as an NFL WR, just means he may never be the same. I hope he recovers but as someone who has had a knee injury once it's broke it's never the same.

Some draft rooms will give you a nice discount because of the injury. Others will ignore it so it really depends. I think its a mistake to DND but for sure proceed with caution on him.

10 hours ago, Blazer said:

Wow!  Its an ACL, his leg didn't fall off.  

There is no reason to believe he won't work back to the same player he was pre-injury.  It may not be week 1, or even 6, but I'm confident it will happen.

5 minutes ago, harck said:

Going to pass on Godwin this year. ACL recovers take 9-11 months and the guys don't look the same for about a year after. He's going to look 80-90% in mid October at the earliest. See Saquon and Sutton last year.

Yup. I had to learn the hard way with Saquan last year. Been a little stubborn about the whole "it takes a season" plus to get back to pre-injury form.

I really like Godwin, and hope he gets back to where he was before the injury. But, I'm likely out on him unless he falls really far, which I doubt happens.

31 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Yup. I had to learn the hard way with Saquan last year. Been a little stubborn about the whole "it takes a season" plus to get back to pre-injury form.

I really like Godwin, and hope he gets back to where he was before the injury. But, I'm likely out on him unless he falls really far, which I doubt happens.

dudes running w visible gimp leg—let alone explosion and cutting like he used to 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, The G Man said:

I said the same thing, but he ended up on my main team because nobody else would take him. I also reached a little for Russell Gage shortly after for insurance. Almost took Julio late too because he was just hanging around but somebody finally took him before I could get silly with that move.

My thought is he's making an early return and modern doctors keep advancing so that's a positive sign. He's not a pure speed guy so slowing down a little might be OK when you have Brady to throw you a perfect comeback route. We aren't asking him to do Saquon Barkley things, he just has to run where Brady tells him to for 10-15 yards every 10-15 minutes. He can handle that right?

On 8/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, harck said:

Going to pass on Godwin this year. ACL recovers take 9-11 months and the guys don't look the same for about a year after. He's going to look 80-90% in mid October at the earliest. See Saquon and Sutton last year.

I dunno. Kupp looked good in 2019

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I dunno. Kupp looked good in 2019

I won't be surprised if he starts slow, but turns into a beast last month of the season. 

His value/rank are all over the place.  My CBS standard mocks have him ranked in the 40s.  My yahoo mocks, which I think are ppr or half ppr based, have him ranked down in the 80s.  Noticing that with a lot of guys this year, but Godwin's platform gap might be the largest.

1 minute ago, Pastor3 said:

cutting Ty Johnson can only be construed as a good sign for ol' Gotwin here ... while Ty was no world beater, he waa quality depth that delivered in spurts when needed. 

🍳

They also signed Russell Gage & Julio Jones so not sure there's any tea leaves to be read here