NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matt Mervis 1B Cubs

Pspect

• Pspect changed the title to Matt Mervis 1B Cubs

Did he get lasik or some other significant change from last year? He went from an old for the level guy with a mediocre line in A ball last year, to a more age appropriate level in AA this year and he's killing it. I still think there's a strong chance he completely flops in AAA, but an avg AND iso over .300 is impressive. 

Edit: I guess reading the above post helps, two way guy before. Interesting...

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Did he get lasik or some other significant change from last year? He went from an old for the level guy with a mediocre line in A ball last year, to a more age appropriate level in AA this year and he's killing it. I still think there's a strong chance he completely flops in AAA, but an avg AND iso over .300 is impressive. 

Edit: I guess reading the above post helps, two way guy before. Interesting...

He's da best

From BA

Chicago Cubs

Matt Mervis, 1B (Moved from unranked to No. 18)

A two-way player at Duke, Mervis has blossomed with his focus solely on being a position player. He is one of the best offensive prospects in the Cubs’ system with plus raw power he gets to in games and a physical frame that should allow him to continue impacting the ball. Mervis is limited strictly to first base defensively, but he has the bat to profile there.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hit #35 today. 5 of his last 8 HR have been off lefties. Even before today, his AAA numbers are even better then his absurd AA numbers.

This year

A+

.350/.389/.650 182 wRC+  4.6BB% 24.1K% 

AA

.300/.370/.596  148 wRC+  8.7BB% 20.0K%

AAA

.300/.383/.606 156 wRC+  10.2BB% 14.6K%

I think I'm most excited that the BB% kept going up and the K% kept going down despite his promotions

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The awfully fun thing with Mervis is two-fold:

a)  During this past offseason he retooled his swing and the benefits are showing BIG TIME

b)  Upon his promotion to AAA he's lowered his K% down to 13% from where he was in previous stops - in the low 20's.

Kid apparently has figured it all out - going to be awfully interesting if the Cubs make any move for a 1B this offseason.  I'd be floored if he's not their 1B starting the season.