NBC Sports EDGE Forums

6/29 - GAME DAY THREAD

Longomania!

He back with a vengeance. Took a sinker low and away and flick it over the high RF wall. Pretty impressive!

Before injury he was killin it. Took him a bit to heat up after coming back, but has 3 homers in the last week or so.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papasmurf said:

Longomania!

He back with a vengeance.

Before injury he was killin it. Took him a bit to heat up after coming back, but has 3 homers in the last week or so.

Exit velocity numbers look fantastic. He’s really dialed in right now. Hope he can stay healthy for a good stretch.

I wish someone would bring back the hidden ball trick in baseball. Bill Veeck had the right ideas about making the game fun. 

Hypothetically, would it be legal to have the first baseman palm the rosin bag, and then throw it back to the pitcher and try to deceive the runner while he hangs onto the actual ball? Cuz that would be cool. I may have rewatched Rookie of the Year recently...

Just letting everyone know, my opponent is starting Rony "Cy" Garcia. Sure, he is down 1-0 already, but he only had 2 base runners through 2. If you have in game betting, he might not give up another hit HA! (My opponents have put up under 2 ERA's the last 3 weeks) 

12 minutes ago, posty said:

Not counting today, but for June he has ten hits and seven home runs...

Last 15 games (not counting today), eight hits with six home runs...

I'm just going off what I read here:

"Tue, Jun 28, 12:38 PM ROTOWIRE.COM

Stanton went 1-for-3 with a solo home run, a walk, an additional run and an additional RBI in Monday's win against Oakland.

Spin: The Yankees fell behind 5-1 after three innings before Stanton kicked off a comeback with his solo homer to left field leading off the fourth. The long ball was the fourth in the past five games for the slugger, and it extended a rather unusual streak in which each of Stanton's past five hits have left the yard. His last hit that wasn't a homer came 14 games ago, when Stanton knocked a single and a double against the Cubs."

4 minutes ago, collucho said:

Willy Adames 0-5 😒

Benched for this series. He was HORRIBLE at home for the rays and elite on the road. That’s why they traded him. He can’t see the ball in that stadium. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CardiacDO said:

Just letting everyone know, my opponent is starting Rony "Cy" Garcia. Sure, he is down 1-0 already, but he only had 2 base runners through 2. If you have in game betting, he might not give up another hit HA! (My opponents have put up under 2 ERA's the last 3 weeks) 

Really strange things happening in the Giants game 

6 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

soto is so bad.  like so so bad.  easily the biggest bust in recent years.

He has two more arb-eligible years to justify his turning down a 350 million extension. 

Just now, Ryansm11 said:

Did he really turn down 350?

Yup.

Boras, and I suppose Soto, as well, wants a 500 million dollar number.  Nobody except Soto and his family know for sure how old he'll be when his arbitration years are up, but it's still a hell of a gamble.  

29 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Benched for this series. He was HORRIBLE at home for the rays and elite on the road. That’s why they traded him. He can’t see the ball in that stadium. 

I knew this but I guess I didn't think about it this morning. Oneil Cruz its your time to shine. 

6 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Yup.

Boras, and I suppose Soto, as well, wants a 500 million dollar number.  Nobody except Soto and his family know for sure how old he'll be when his arbitration years are up, but it's still a hell of a gamble.  

I actually think it is a good gamble.  If he thinks he can be a top player when he becomes eligible to become a free agent, $500 might not be unrealistic regardless of how old he is at the time.    

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

WTF is going on in the Nats/Pirates game?

Josh Bell catches a line drive at first. Runners DON'T tag up, and the Nats tag another runner for what should've been an inning ending double play.

But the umps awarded the Pirates a run, despite that runner not tagging up on the line drive out? 

This is absurd

Don't know if anyone replied to this, but:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/nationals-burned-by-quirky-fourth-out-rule-as-pirates-score-despite-lining-into-inning-ending-double-play/

You never know what you're going to see at the ballpark on any given day, and Wednesday afternoon the rare "fourth-out rule" came into play in the series finale between the Washington Nationals and Pittsburgh Pirates at Nationals Park (GameTracker).

The scene: Pittsburgh had runners at second (Hoy Jun Park) and third (Jack Suwinski) with one out in the fifth inning when Ke'Bryan Hayes hit a soft line drive at first baseman Josh Bell. Park and Suwinski both went on contact, Bell made the catch, then threw to third so the tag could be applied to Park, who did not tag up at second.

Seems straightforward, right? Bell made the catch for one out, then Park was tagged for another out to complete the inning-ending double play. The confusion stems from Suwinski. He crossed the plate without tagging up at third base and his run counts despite not tagging up. That's because the Nationals never appealed Suwinski leaving early.

This is covered by MLB Rule 5.09(c), the section covering appeal plays, and is colloquially known as the "fourth-out rule." From the rulebook:

(c) Appeal Plays

Any runner shall be called out, on appeal, when:

(1) After a fly ball is caught, he fails to retouch his original base before he or his original base is tagged;

Any appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play. If the violation occurs during a play which ends a half-inning, the appeal must be made before the defensive team leaves the field.

Nationals players all left the field before the team could appeal Suwinski left third base early (which he obviously did), so Washington lost its chance to appeal. Suwinski's run counted even though he never tagged up at third base on the Hayes line drive. The umpires on the field did check with the replay crew in New York to confirm the rule.

Had the Nationals appealed in time, Suwinski would have been called out and his run would not have counted, and he would have been the "fourth" out of the inning. Alas, fourth outs do not roll over into the next inning or anything like that. It's just a rulebook quirk that rarely comes into play. It nearly did Wednesday, but the Nationals did not appeal in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CardiacDO said:

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

Yeah, he really got beat up, 1 ER in 5 innings and in line for the win. 1.8 ERA. f--- me.

Edited by CardiacDO

27 minutes ago, posty said:

Don't know if anyone replied to this, but:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/nationals-burned-by-quirky-fourth-out-rule-as-pirates-score-despite-lining-into-inning-ending-double-play/

You never know what you're going to see at the ballpark on any given day, and Wednesday afternoon the rare "fourth-out rule" came into play in the series finale between the Washington Nationals and Pittsburgh Pirates at Nationals Park (GameTracker).

The scene: Pittsburgh had runners at second (Hoy Jun Park) and third (Jack Suwinski) with one out in the fifth inning when Ke'Bryan Hayes hit a soft line drive at first baseman Josh Bell. Park and Suwinski both went on contact, Bell made the catch, then threw to third so the tag could be applied to Park, who did not tag up at second.

Seems straightforward, right? Bell made the catch for one out, then Park was tagged for another out to complete the inning-ending double play. The confusion stems from Suwinski. He crossed the plate without tagging up at third base and his run counts despite not tagging up. That's because the Nationals never appealed Suwinski leaving early.

This is covered by MLB Rule 5.09(c), the section covering appeal plays, and is colloquially known as the "fourth-out rule." From the rulebook:

(c) Appeal Plays

Any runner shall be called out, on appeal, when:

(1) After a fly ball is caught, he fails to retouch his original base before he or his original base is tagged;

Any appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play. If the violation occurs during a play which ends a half-inning, the appeal must be made before the defensive team leaves the field.

Nationals players all left the field before the team could appeal Suwinski left third base early (which he obviously did), so Washington lost its chance to appeal. Suwinski's run counted even though he never tagged up at third base on the Hayes line drive. The umpires on the field did check with the replay crew in New York to confirm the rule.

Had the Nationals appealed in time, Suwinski would have been called out and his run would not have counted, and he would have been the "fourth" out of the inning. Alas, fourth outs do not roll over into the next inning or anything like that. It's just a rulebook quirk that rarely comes into play. It nearly did Wednesday, but the Nationals did not appeal in time.

I thought i had seen every rule there is 

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I wish someone would bring back the hidden ball trick in baseball. Bill Veeck had the right ideas about making the game fun. 

Hypothetically, would it be legal to have the first baseman palm the rosin bag, and then throw it back to the pitcher and try to deceive the runner while he hangs onto the actual ball? Cuz that would be cool. I may have rewatched Rookie of the Year recently...

I want to know the answer to this rules question Posty!