NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darnell Mooney 2022 Outlook

• tonycpsu changed the title to Darnell Mooney 2022 Outlook

Gonna embed what you linked to- I'm really curious on the forum's opinion here. 

The one thing I'm feeling good about is a new coach.   I know they're really short on talent but if this new coach is even a moderate tick better at maximizing Fields than Nagy was, then Mooney is just gonna thrive.    Obviously Mooney's going to be looked down upon in Chicago, but perhaps the price is just right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

The one thing I'm feeling good about is a new coach.   I know they're really short on talent but if this new coach is even a moderate tick better at maximizing Fields than Nagy was, then Mooney is just gonna thrive.    Obviously Mooney's going to be looked down upon in Chicago, but perhaps the price is just right?

So let's break down those stats:

• Mooney had more targets than Ja’Marr Chase in 2021

- Mooney got 140 targets but had a pretty bad catch rate at 57.9%. He got 81 rec and turned those into 1055/5.
- Chase got 128 targets for the same number of receptions, and turned that into 1455/13.

So this is a fancy way to say: Chase was a lot better.

• Mooney had more yards per reception than Tyreek Hill in 2021

- Mooney had 13 y/r
- Hill had 11.2 y/r - which was a down year for him, in prevous years he had 14.7, 14.8 and in 2018 it was even 17.0

So this is a fancy way to say: Hill is getting old.

• Mooney had more receiving yards than Mike Evans in 2021

- Mooney had 1055 yards from 140 targets
- Evans had 1035 yards from 114 targets (and a higher y/r btw) - and turned those into 14 TD.

So this is a fancy way of saying: Evans was more productive.

I mean... holy fork, this is not cherry picking, this is downright misleading.

• Like 3

The bad catch rate is probably due to having a bad QB and perhaps running alot of deep routes. I'd certainly say Chase is better at this point but Mooney could be really good too. Evans has a really good QB too, not surprised he was far more productive with his targets. 

My takeaway from this is there should be big volume for Mooney to do some damage in fantasy. Not sure I see a 'monster' season with Fields still throwing to him though

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

My takeaway from this is there should be big volume for Mooney to do some damage in fantasy. Not sure I see a 'monster' season with Fields still throwing to him though

Sure, especially that second part - I don't think Fields did him any favors. Also Mooney is only 24, so definitely he can grow further, and I wish him all the best.

I just don't like these kind of twitter posts which are essentially clickbait.

When Mooney was with Andy Dalton I heard a lot of "look at the ADot!  He's good, it's just Dalton sucks."

Personally, I still like Justin Fields (it may just be me and his mom at this point, I concede), I just feel like with Mooney we tend to look at advanced metrics and forgive him entirely and put all the blame on the quarterback when some of the fault may lay with him as a guy who just struggles to catch the ball.  He's not insanely expensive given that Robinson is no longer in town but I am not 100% sold, I suppose if the other guys I like in that range are gone I could take a dive.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:22 PM, BrianM said:

Thanks was trying to figure out how to do this 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:26 AM, Boudewijn said:

• Mooney had more targets than Ja’Marr Chase in 2021

- Mooney got 140 targets but had a pretty bad catch rate at 57.9%. He got 81 rec and turned those into 1055/5.
- Chase got 128 targets for the same number of receptions, and turned that into 1455/13.

So this is a fancy way to say: Chase was a lot better.

• Mooney had more yards per reception than Tyreek Hill in 2021

- Mooney had 13 y/r
- Hill had 11.2 y/r - which was a down year for him, in prevous years he had 14.7, 14.8 and in 2018 it was even 17.0

So this is a fancy way to say: Hill is getting old.

• Mooney had more receiving yards than Mike Evans in 2021

- Mooney had 1055 yards from 140 targets
- Evans had 1035 yards from 114 targets (and a higher y/r btw) - and turned those into 14 TD.

So this is a fancy way of saying: Evans was more productive.

I mean... holy fork, this is not cherry picking, this is downright misleading.

This is why I tend to stay off twitter thanks for the fact check lol. Still like him as a WR2 

On 6/29/2022 at 12:26 AM, Boudewijn said:

I agree with everything you've said, that was my initial reaction as well... But then I realized, what's that prove?

I don't care how many targets Chase got... 140 is a solid number.  In fact it's 11th in the league.

I don't care how old Tyreek Hill is or isn't, 13 yards per reception is a solid number.  Cooper Kupp had 13.4 last year, #1 WR in the league.

I don't care how many yards Evans got, 1,000 is the baseline we use.  17th most in the league.

So... 11th in targets, 17th in yards, finished 23rd overall.

He's currently WR29.

But the bad news...

With Dalton, Mooney averaged 11.1 targets, 6.5 receptions, 82 yards a game. (16.7 fantasy points)

With Fields, Mooney averaged 6.6 targets, 3.8 receptions, 51 yards a game. (10.8 fantasy points)

Despite playing only 6 games with Dalton, and 11 with Fields, Mooney caught equally 2 TDs from each of them.

Initially I was very interested in Mooney, but there are multiple players after him on the draft board I like more.  Unless Fields takes a big step forward, Mooney, and his owners, might be in for a long year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TTo34 said:

That’s brutal. Rams game was Dalton. Bucs game was Fields when he threw 3 picks. I’m banking on Justin being improved in the new offense and the first year under his belt. 

4 hours ago, affliction said:

That’s brutal. Rams game was Dalton. Bucs game was Fields when he threw 3 picks. I’m banking on Justin being improved in the new offense and the first year under his belt. 

I think that Rams highlight was from 2020.....I recall seeing that vid last summer and it was one of my things that made me chase Mooney harder.   "Wow Trubisky/Foles were bad, but now he's got Fields!  Even Dalton is better!"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

I have no statistics but I don't think there's one player I've seen be missed open more times in the past 2 seasons.

Watching him completely burn jalen ramsay as a rookie was all I needed to see.. too bad he was overthrown by 7 yards..

apparently he’s been tearing training camp up and clearly fields best and favorite target and the connection is “the real deal”

this is one of the rare occasions I’d want a WR in a bad offense because he could likely see 33% of the targets 

• Like 3