NBC Sports EDGE Forums

MLB Waiver Wire and Streaming Thread 2022 Week 12

MLB Waiver Wire and Streaming Thread 2022 Week 12

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups and streaming options for week 12 of the 2022 MLB season.

Some discussion of waiver suggestions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

From the last thread—Jack Suwinski and Bligh Madris… two Pirates rookie outfielders.

Lou Trivino has the best k/9ip upside in the A’s pen, and has currently regained the closer role…for now. Risky, but people are always desperate for closers.

Jackson Tetreault has tossed two straight QS. I admit that I don’t know a ton about him, but I’m intrigued.

Ross Stripling seems to be staying in the rotation. Downside is he faces the AL West a lot, but so far he’s done pretty good. Worth a shot in deeper leagues…

Lenny Sosa might be worth a speculative add. Made the jump straight from AA, and the ChiSox don’t do that often. He was putting up huge numbers in the hitting-suppressed Southern League; furthermore, the Barons’ stadium is one of the hardest to hit in. The last two White Sox prospects to post comparable numbers, in the same environment, and  around the same age? Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez. Both were 21. Sosa is 22. The problem is the TLR effect. Rides the pine his first 3 games (although, he drew a really impressive 9-pitch walk in his debut when he came off the bench). Starts two games, bats 1 and then 9. If they wouldn’t toy with him, I think he could be a pretty productive hitter for them. But with the way TLR manages, he may just get buried and wind up at AAA pretty fast…

N/A Stashes: Max Mexer, Brayan Bello, DL Hall (ETA July for the first two…not sure about Hall.)

• Like 2

Deep leagues should keep an eye on Luis Rengifo (2B/3B/SS/OF) of LAA. Was trending well for a minute then hit the skidz and had a paternity list stint, but has been playing daily and piled up 3 multi hit games going into today where he hit a game tying HR in the 8th. He was hitting leadoff and then 5th for a spell, so he might get moved back to a more prominent role in a pretty top heavy LAA lineup very soon.

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I know once I get him he’s going to turn to poop. Is he really this talented?

I followed him and owned him in a few deep leagues for awhile. He has a very above average hit tool and eye at the plate. Check his MiLB thread for proof. Was always promoted aggressively too, typically one of the youngest players in his various leagues. Tampa noticed something, obviously. Now the power is showing up, something I did not think he really had that much of. He is going to be an interesting follow for sure, but based off the metrics I am seeing--and what I know about the player, I would take a good look here.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I followed him and owned him in a few deep leagues for awhile. He has a very above average hit tool and eye at the plate. Check his MiLB thread for proof. Was always promoted aggressively too, typically one of the youngest players in his various leagues. Tampa noticed something, obviously. Now the power is showing up, something I did not think he really had that much of. He is going to be an interesting follow for sure, but based off the metrics I am seeing--and what I know about the player, I would take a good look here.

Who do you like to perform better between Paredes and Kiriloff ROS. We know they both aren’t useful with their legs, but the other hitting categories seem like they could be close between them.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Who do you like to perform better between Paredes and Kiriloff ROS. We know they both aren’t useful with their legs, but the other hitting categories seem like they could be close between them.

Depends on positional needs, but probably Kiriloff from a pure bat perspective. They seem fully committed to him there, and he's a great hitter imo.

• Like 1

In points leagues or deeper formats I'd absolutely grab Mitch White (SP/RP) from LAD. He really has impressed me in recent looks. The numbers are not gonna blow you away but the guy can pitch, and he should continue to get turns in this LAD rotation. He has plenty of stuff, pedigree and the likely the backing of a great team...all the ingredients to succeed imo.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

In points leagues or deeper formats I'd absolutely grab Mitch White (SP/RP) from LAD. He really has impressed me in recent looks. The numbers are not gonna blow you away but the guy can pitch, and he should continue to get turns in this LAD rotation. He has plenty of stuff, pedigree and the likely the backing of a great team...all the ingredients to succeed imo.

I remember not that long ago he was regarded in some circles above Buehler - I’m wondering what happened to him?  Was it injuries?

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I remember not that long ago he was regarded in some circles above Buehler - I’m wondering what happened to him?  Was it injuries?

Yeah he had some helium in the industry for a hot min. Klaw I remember pumped him way up his list and was tossing around some big name comps.

It was definitely injuries that derailed him, but also coming back with slightly diminished stuff as well. I like what I've seen this year so far. FA sits 93 and bumps 96, slider is an absolute weapon and the curve looks good too, mixes in a sinker. He probably profiles better as a multi inning RP, but should get a solid month to prove he can start before the Dodgers go big game hunting in the trade market. He's well within the top 70 or so SP ranks for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

yep, looks like he could/should start this Thursday against SD and Musgrove, taking Heaney's spot. 

Edited by WTP333

2 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

yep, looks like this Thursday against SD and Musgrove, taking Heaney's spot. not a great spot, if looking for a win, but does have some talent, s ST.S said

I don't think SD is a scary offense at all. Especially if Machado is still out.

4 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

same. that's why i edited my initial thoughts haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

@ST. STEVENthoughts on Dean Kremer? 1st few starts were vs KC & TB, but also pitched well vs CWS last time out. Is at SEA this week.

Yeah I could squint and see a possible streamer, but would prob just leave him on the wire. His ERA estimators show a guy that is getting a lot of luck. His stuff does appear to move/break pretty good, so despite a rather meh K rate he might be able to keep defying the odds?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Manny Machado will never come back 🤨

Thoughts on Houser at PIT ? 

Houser was someone I had some hopes for coming into the season but he's been a let down mostly. His splits shows a higher ERA away as well. With Reynolds hitting well for PIT and Cruz able to have a big game on any given day, this could be a tough matchup who knows. 

2 hours ago, Macgregor said:

I don't.

I'm guessing it was a typo, and he mean Fedde, who pitched the same day as that post. That said, the game started ~40 minutes before that post, but maybe he was seeing consecutive good starts by Fedde and touting him? 

Like I said, just guessing here lol. 

• Thanks 1

Sam Haggerty is an interesting short-term play, likely has PT until the ASB, with Trammell's injury and Winker facing a 7-game suspension (plus JRod's 2 games). 

Jake Meyers is getting the everyday CF reps for the Astros, he has some nice upside if he can keep that spot. Could be a similar contributor to Michael Harris II, perhaps a bit more power/less speed.

Steven Kwan has been much better in June, stealing a few bases and hitting over .350, has deep league appeal. No power, but every seems to hate him after his early season disappearing act. 

I'll also tout Rob Refnsnyder, but his ABs are very uncertain. After the upcoming series in Chicago against the Cubs, they also have a tough stretch of games vs. Rays, vs. Yankees, at Rays, at Yankees and Blue Jays after the ASB.

• Like 1

• tonycpsu locked and unpinned this topic