NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Russell Gage 2022 Outlook

On 6/26/2022 at 10:40 AM, BrianM said:

He's on the diet?  Smart man, he'll get 100 catches this year

Damn, he's already Tom's BFF!

All jokes aside this could be another "why didn't we see this coming" Cooper Kupp type resurgence. Not that he is Kupp but he's a good WR with a great QB. Brady had 610 pass attempts and 40TDs in 2020. 2021 he had 719 attempts and 43 TDs. Someone is going to be the #2 behind Evans and there is a lot of targets to go around. Maybe Ol' Lenny is a monster in the passing game (we know Brady loves the check down) but even if Lenny gets 100 targets (he got 84 last year) there is still lots for Gage.

• Like 1

I don't follow a ton of pros but I feel like I see a new blurb from one of them on Gage every single day, without even trying to.   Hype certainly is real.   I do like the guy but I think he's a July and August zoomer for sure.  

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What's the difference between this dude and Jakoby Myers

The passing rate of the Bucs vs the pats. 
The vacated targets on the Bucs vs the competition on the Pats with the acquisition of Parker and Thornton who was a 2nd rd pick. 

I would not be surprised if Julio gets cut.  I'm waiting to see the guaranteed money, it's a one year deal. 

The bigger news to me today is that Godwin wasn't put on the PUP list, but with respect to Julio I wouldn't change my projection on Gage much.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I would not be surprised if Julio gets cut.  I'm waiting to see the guaranteed money, it's a one year deal. 

The bigger news to me today is that Godwin wasn't put on the PUP list, but with respect to Julio I wouldn't change my projection on Gage much.

3 tears fell for god, 1 tear for julio

Julio got a big enough payday that I'm actually now concerned for Gage.    His early attraction was a prominent early season role.  Now he's likely just the insurance policy.  

NFLN last night was  talking about how "last year's WR injuries" led to the need for Julio.   Couldn't help but remember this memespacer.png

6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Julio got a big enough payday that I'm actually now concerned for Gage.

I haven't seen the contract details yet, do you have the specifics?

Bear in mind vet minimum for a player with 10+ years of service time is 1.25 mil.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I haven't seen the contract details yet, do you have the specifics?

Bear in mind vet minimum for a player with 10+ years of service time is 1.25 mil.

6 million base for Julio with up to 8+ in 'reachable' incentives....it is legit enough cash to suggest a prominent role

9 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

6 million base for Julio with up to 8+ in 'reachable' incentives....it is legit enough cash to suggest a prominent role

I saw the Schefter tweet about this 6 million dollar base business, but I can't find the breakdown on Overthecap or Spotrac.  Sometimes sports reporters don't use "base" and "guaranteed money" synomously, which to me is the tell tale sign.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, MingusDew said:

He's a JAG but a useful JAG. 

I'd rather have someone like Lazard or Olave but I'd prefer Gage over Christian Kirk or Tyler Boyd. I think those guys are all going in the same range.

I like Lazard and Olave over Gage but I want all three.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Could care less about Julio, but godwin coming back puts a damper on things. I was planning on pairing him early season with a rookie WR that’ll turn on later in the season. 

odd to me godwin off pup then sign julio. can’t imagine godwin is at full strength..

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Could care less about Julio, but godwin coming back puts a damper on things. I was planning on pairing him early season with a rookie WR that’ll turn on later in the season. 

Yeah there is nothing particuarly exciting about Gage in a vacuum but with Godwin out he was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...