NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pick up Oscar Gonazalez?

Thinking about dropping Espinal who has struggled lately (have Yepez who can play 3rd or CI) OR possibly even dropping Yastrzemski.

would you drop either of them for Oscar Gonazalez?  He is off to a nice start in Cleveland after a strong minor league season last year.

12 team daily roto redraft league (5x5).....5 OUTFIELDER league and 1400 max innings pitched

c =  William Contreras

1b =  Josh Bell

2b =  Brendan Rodgers 

ss =  Trea Turner 

3b =  Santiago Espinal

ci =   DJ Lemahieu

mi =  Willy Adames

of =   Teoscar Hernandez,   Randy Arozarena,   Adolis Garcia,  Whit Merrifield,  Tommy Pham

utility =  Juan Yepez

bench =  Keibert Ruiz,  Mike Yastrzemski 

IL=    Mookie Betts,  Tylor Megill

sp =  Kevin Gausman,  Dylan Cease,  Frankie Montas,  Triston McKenzie,  Tyler Anderson,  George Kirby,   Alex Wood

bullpen =  Corey Knebel,  Mark Melancon,  Scott Barlow,  Tanner Houck,  Diego Castillo

8 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

I would stay with what you have personally. But that could quickly change depending on how long Oscar stays warm

Yeah I agree with stay_woke on this one.  I think Espinal bounces back,  hopefully soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonnieMac said:

Yeah I agree with stay_woke on this one.  I think Espinal bounces back,  hopefully soon. 

Thanks..I could also drop Yepez who has hit nicely while in the lineup.  I picked him up when O’Neill hit the IL the other day, but if O’Neill comes back within the next 2 weeks..Yepez may not be getting everyday at bats

32 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Thanks..Yepez could also be an option to drop for Gonzalez

I like that more than dropping espinal. I like espinal to have value all season long despite the slump. In a vacuum yepez is probably the better hitter but I have more concerns about his role throughout the season.

I had Yepez in a deeper league while Tyler O'Neill was on the IL but then Tyler O'Neill was getting the starts when he returned so I dropped Yepez for someone else, but now Tyler O'Neill is back on the IL.

Yepez could play 3B for you while Tyler O'Neill is out.

I don't see much in Espinal. little power little speed, but I see more potential in Oscar Gonzalez. I've seen it talked about Oscar Gonzalez lower FB%, but he has a good hard hit% and more potential with HR than Espinal.

as long as Yepez is starting I like him more than Espinal at 3B, and I like Gonzalez more than Espinal for numbers. but once Tyler O'Neill returns if Yepez loses playing time you will need someone else for 3B.

55 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I had Yepez in a deeper league while Tyler O'Neill was on the IL but then Tyler O'Neill was getting the starts when he returned so I dropped Yepez for someone else, but now Tyler O'Neill is back on the IL.

Yepez could play 3B for you while Tyler O'Neill is out.

I don't see much in Espinal. little power little speed, but I see more potential in Oscar Gonzalez. I've seen it talked about Oscar Gonzalez lower FB%, but he has a good hard hit% and more potential with HR than Espinal.

as long as Yepez is starting I like him more than Espinal at 3B, and I like Gonzalez more than Espinal for numbers. but once Tyler O'Neill returns if Yepez loses playing time you will need someone else for 3B.

Thanks..very thin wire as far a production goes, that is why I was thinking now about keeping Espinal and dropping Yemez because like you said, unless another injury happens on the Cards that will free up at bats for Yemez once O’Neill comes back, he will lose these everyday at bats

8 hours ago, itaos said:

If you're desperate for power I'd take a chance on Gonzalez otherwise prefer the boring production of Espinal in the Jays lineup. 

Thanks..Yemez is also a drop option, more than likely to lose everyday at bats once again when O’Neill comes off the IL

13 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I'd stay put with Espinal if it were me.. not enough there to make a move IMO

Thanks..I could also drop Yepez who has hit nicely while in the lineup.  I picked him up when O’Neill hit the IL the other day, but if O’Neill comes back within the next 2 weeks..Yepez may not be getting everyday at bats

They all feel like that same player to me honestly heh, young middling players with decent upside if some things swing in their favor. They're all in good run scoring lineups to be productive in.  Yepez could change the narrative a bit if he starts hitting again and maybe gain more playing time but who knows what happens when Tyler is back. 

Espinal has the most sample size, he's been ok at times. I don't think he's quite as good as he was when he had been hot, but surely he's better than whats he'sdone lately. I think all three will be up and down being young as they are, not sure any one of them is someone you can really bank on. I fell like Yepez and Oscar may end up being the better players ultimately but they'll probably all be a roller coaster ride this year. I'd go with the hot hand and who has the best matchups or position eligibility you need most personally. 

3B is soooo thin I hate dropping any of them lol. I still have Muncy on my team. Could you try a quick 2 for one trade that would open a spot for Gonzalez?

I would try and grab him and Yepez may be the guy to drop when everyone in Stl is healthy. I do like his bat better than Espinal though 

4 minutes ago, smurph said:

3B is soooo thin I hate dropping any of them lol. I still have Muncy on my team. Could you try a quick 2 for one trade that would open a spot for Gonzalez?

I would try and grab him and Yepez may be the guy to drop when everyone in Stl is healthy. I do like his bat better than Espinal though 

VERY thin...lol

and I do worry about Yepez and his playing time once oneill comes back for sure

11 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

This was my initial thought.  I feel like Espinal's PT is pretty solid even if he is slumping.  He should get it turned around... he faces Burnes and Wacha over the next few games, but otherwise the pitching isn't exactly stellar.  Yepez will probably bounce around the WW throughout the season.  He's ahead of Nootbaar, but with a healthy Oneil he's probably the 5th guy behind Carlson/Donovan/Bader/Oneil for the OF and DH spots.

In any case, it's probably a short-lived move with Mookie returning in a week, so if you make a mistake, it won't haunt you either way.

4 minutes ago, MrPink83 said:

This was my initial thought.  I feel like Espinal's PT is pretty solid even if he is slumping.  He should get it turned around... he faces Burnes and Wacha over the next few games, but otherwise the pitching isn't exactly stellar.  Yepez will probably bounce around the WW throughout the season.  He's ahead of Nootbaar, but with a healthy Oneil he's probably the 5th guy behind Carlson/Donovan/Bader/Oneil for the OF and DH spots.

In any case, it's probably a short-lived move with Mookie returning in a week, so if you make a mistake, it won't haunt you either way.

thanks....I am leaning for sure with Yepez as the drop for Gonzalez

hoping for sure that mookie comes back when 1st eligible, but you never know with an injury like this once he starts up baseball activities IF all will go as planned

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

thanks....I am leaning for sure with Yepez as the drop for Gonzalez

hoping for sure that mookie comes back when 1st eligible, but you never know with an injury like this once he starts up baseball activities IF all will go as planned

Ribs can be nagging, but at least there's the DH for him to maybe ease back into playing. As well as it being a right rib, so maybe a little less likely to get HBP and further injury.

I would prefer to drop Yepez instead of Espinal if you're going to make the move as I believe Espinal will bounce back and there are more questions about Yepez's playing time.  If you need an OF, Gonzalez may be worth a look.  If you're set in the OF  I'd hold Yepez.  Thanks for mine.