NBC Sports EDGE Forums

June Top 100 SP rankings

2 minutes ago, mike11 said:

This is a solid list, I’ll give the five I have my eye on:

Luis Garcia- Good pitch mix, good team with history of developing players, still only 25 shockingly

Michael Kopech- First year in the rotation, great velocity and pitch mix, needs to get a bit more disciplined to avoid walking batters and lose concentration. Rotation bumps are difficult to forecast but I think he has a huge second half.

Roansy Contreras- Has looked very composed early in the rotation, 22 years old could be an absolute gem is he matures a bit in the K/BB department like all young guys. Pirates worry me a bit.

Mackenzie Gore-He’s likely too expensive to acquire (you’re better off going after someone else) but I think he continues to rise.

Tyler Glasnow- Ok I cheated on this one but here’s the thing, NO ONE is talking about him, he was a top 8 pitcher before TJ and this is a great time to buy, why? He has no chatter, which means people won’t say “he’s coming back in August” this is a two year play but I absolutely think he’s back in the top 15 when he’s healthy, if you wait for him to come back in September his value will be high again.

Full disclosure: I’m a Gore, Contreras owner in a Dynasty. George Kirby as well. Liked what I saw from Roasny yesterday, 98 pitches. Admittedly surprised they let him go that high, but I think it says something about how they view him as a serious piece of their rotation. Garcia looks like a good pick too. Houston seems to have a knack for developing pitchers amongst other hitters as well. 

4 minutes ago, chucky said:

Full disclosure: I’m a Gore, Contreras owner in a Dynasty. George Kirby as well. Liked what I saw from Roasny yesterday, 98 pitches. Admittedly surprised they let him go that high, but I think it says something about how they view him as a serious piece of their rotation. Garcia looks like a good pick too. Houston seems to have a knack for developing pitchers amongst other hitters as well. 

I have everyone from that list except Gore, so to be fair that’s not unreasonable. That being said I went out and acquired Garcia because I was a believer and saw a lot of Glas last year. I stashed Roansy for the same reason. I’ve had Kopech since the Covid year and am just rooting for the kid. He has special stuff and has overcome a lot of sh*t to make it into the rotation.

Speaking of, CWS have elite arms, Gio, Cease and Kopech to build around if they retain Gio is exciting (imagine if the kept Rodon).

On 6/4/2022 at 11:17 AM, mike11 said:

From a dynasty perspective who are the top 5 guys you want outside your top 25ish current ranks? Guys who you think have the highest ascension possibility like what we saw with Burnes last year.

These dudes would be among my most aggressive targets for dynasty:

25. Aaron Ashby- stuff is absurdly good, command showing positive signs
27. Tarik Skubal- was my main breakout guy and command has stepped forward
33. Luis Garcia- stuff still up, needs some sequence adjusting, it will come together imo
45. George Kirby- pretty intriguing package, better bet than most prospects
58. Roansy Contreras- tough to expect deep work but I expect quality and Ks
64. Ian Anderson- I actually like him most of this tier, but needs some sequence work
89. Josiah Gray- one to watch for the future but not a great bet this year

Also for deep leagues take a peek at Zack Thompson of STL. Just got the call the other day and I was very impressed at the stuff he displayed. 4 pitch mix lefty 1st Rd pick that sat 95 mph and showed really good secondaries. I would not be shocked to see him emerge for them and take hold of a rotation spot.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

33. Luis Garcia- stuff still up, needs some sequence adjusting, it will come together imo
64. Ian Anderson- I actually like him most of this tier, but needs some sequence work

Also for deep leagues take a peek at Zack Thompson of STL. Just got the call the other day and I was very impressed at the stuff he displayed. 4 pitch mix lefty 1st Rd pick that sat 95 mph and showed really good secondaries. I would not be shocked to see him emerge for them and take hold of a rotation spot.

Really like this list, thanks for the breakdown! What do you think about B Bello on the Red Sox?

5 minutes ago, mike11 said:

Really like this list, thanks for the breakdown! What do you think about B Bello on the Red Sox?

I like what I am reading on him and what he has displayed--esp at AAA

IF someone is sleeping on him, he makes for a solid upside gamble. I worry about a fairly straight FA with him, even with premium velocity MLB bats are gonna time it (see Hunter Greene)...Also his change and slider overlap on the velo spectrum, but his command is better with those offerings. Not much I can say until I can chart MLB stuff, but an intriguing arm, for certain.

• Like 2

mentioned this in the game day thread, but framber does nothing but throw qs.  with being so consistent, even if not as sexy, seems like he should be somewhere in the top 20....

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Thoughts on a few LHP, Rogers, Miami, Snell SD and Sandoval LAA? Points league where IP and Ks matter.

1 hour ago, chucky said:

Thoughts on a few LHP, Rogers, Miami, Snell SD and Sandoval LAA? Points league where IP and Ks matter.

None of those SP have a history of going deep into games so I think that hurts their value in points leagues. Of the three, I think Rogers still probably has the most upside though it's a bit hard to see the forest through the trees right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, herschel said:

mentioned this in the game day thread, but framber does nothing but throw qs.  with being so consistent, even if not as sexy, seems like he should be somewhere in the top 20....

I think Ks are king and Framber is very solid but just isn’t an upside K guy and will therefore always be less flashy compared to a guy like Cease who has nasty stuff but isn’t as safe of a floor. People typically can stream someone who can give decent WHIP and ERA at any given time but you can’t really stream Ks.

1 hour ago, mike11 said:

I think Ks are king and Framber is very solid but just isn’t an upside K guy and will therefore always be less flashy compared to a guy like Cease who has nasty stuff but isn’t as safe of a floor. People typically can stream someone who can give decent WHIP and ERA at any given time but you can’t really stream Ks.

i get the arguement, but if streamers were guaranteed decent whip/era guys, they wouldnt be streamers.  streamers can also blow up your ratios on any given start.  i think his consistency is unmatched and that at least makes him an sp2 in 12 team leagues (ie top 24).  just my two cents...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, herschel said:

i get the arguement, but if streamers were guaranteed decent whip/era guys, they wouldnt be streamers.  streamers can also blow up your ratios on any given start.  i think his consistency is unmatched and that at least makes him an sp2 in 12 team leagues (ie top 24).  just my two cents...

I hear you! I guess you’d have to list out your top 24ish to really see who you’d put him above. Looking at St. Steven’s list as a rough guide I think I’d rather have the 24 he listed. That being said to each their own on how they’re valued. The reality is SP2s are very competitive to place, it’s hard to crack that list.

Edited by mike11

I feel Sandy Alcantra is too low on this list.

His K rate is not elite, it will probably avg out at about a buck an inning.  But his ERA and Whip are over such a huge number of innings.  If he goes 225 innings with an ERA under 3 and a whip around 1 that's absolutely huge.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I feel Sandy Alcantra is too low on this list.

His K rate is not elite, it will probably avg out at about a buck an inning.  But his ERA and Whip are over such a huge number of innings.  If he goes 225 innings with an ERA under 3 and a whip around 1 that's absolutely huge.

He’s the best SP I’ve seen this year . He looks dominant to me. Cant say that about many guys. 

Edited by EsTiLO

6 hours ago, mike11 said:

I hear you! I guess you’d have to list out your top 24ish to really see who you’d put him above. Looking at St. Steven’s list as a rough guide I think I’d rather have the 24 he listed. That being said to each their own on how they’re valued. The reality is SP2s are very competitive to place, it’s hard to crack that list.

fair enough.  looking at st. stevens list, i would definitely take him over the last two guys (webb and eovaldi).  would also take him over most guys in the 15+ tier (ray, urias, bieber, etc) for various reasons.  i love sexy k upside as much as the next guy, but with sp2, ill take old school, work horse consistency.  also, pitching on houston, hes always a decent shot for wins, which i know is a crappy category and hard to predict...

3 hours ago, EsTiLO said:

He’s the best SP I’ve seen this year . He looks dominant to me. Cant say that about many guys. 

He gets a nice bump in points leagues too for all the IP

Guys on the Rise:

46. Tyler Anderson- change has been filthy, no reason to think he's not embedded in the rotation right now
51. Jameson Tailon- seems to be getting stronger, command so sharp
68. Jon Gray- needs slider to be better/more consistent, but there is upside with him
76. Jose Urquidy- pretty much the same, but with slightly higher hopes
81. Hunter Greene- command just not there, doubt it is just around the corner too (OR IS IT?!)
Unranked: Michael Wacha- lack of K upside is limiting, but he is pitching really well right now (limiting barrels/hard contact) and working deeper.
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Guys on the Rise:

46. Tyler Anderson- change has been filthy, no reason to think he's not embedded in the rotation right now
51. Jameson Tailon- seems to be getting stronger, command so sharp
68. Jon Gray- needs slider to be better/more consistent, but there is upside with him
76. Jose Urquidy- pretty much the same, but with slightly higher hopes
81. Hunter Greene- command just not there, doubt it is just around the corner too (OR IS IT?!)
Unranked: Michael Wacha- lack of K upside is limiting, but he is pitching really well right now (limiting barrels/hard contact) and working deeper.

You already mentioned him and dropped his statcast in his personal thread (lol I was gonna do the same, you beat me to it) but Jeffrey Springs is still very under the radar and his statcast is zesttyyy.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jeffrey-springs-605488?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought Cristian Javier might take a step forward after a couple of 9 strike out games. It takes him 80+ pitches to get to the 4-5 inning. I don't think I can be patient with him if he doesn't show more in his next start.  I've had enough of the roller-coaster.

Anyone starting Megill against the suddenly inept Angels this weekend? More worried about the pc than I am about the Angels. Go 5 in his first start back?

29 minutes ago, chucky said:

Anyone starting Megill against the suddenly inept Angels this weekend? More worried about the pc than I am about the Angels. Go 5 in his first start back?

As a owner, Im leaving him on the bench. Pretty sure he'll be on a pitch count maybe go 3-4th inning. 

• Thanks 1