NBC Sports EDGE Forums

June 2022 Closer Thread

Starting the month off with a bang- will crowe the new co-closer in Pitt with Stratton disgraced? 

or just a day of rest for bednar for heavy workloads?

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

Starting the month off with a bang- will crowe the new co-closer in Pitt with Stratton disgraced? 

Bednar threw 50 pitches on Monday, so I’d assume just rest.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cyberer said:

Bednar has been and will continue to be the closer in Pittsburgh. There hasn’t been a co-closer in the Steel City for weeks now. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Ryan Helsley taking over for Gallegos? 

Cardinals closer is always valuable. 

Knebel about to be demoted for Dominguez?

Thoughts?

I'd think Hand will get first crack in Philly

• Like 1

about a month too late, but the red sox finally came up with the phantom injury for matt barnes - he's sent to the IL with "right shoulder inflammation."  strahm activated from the Covid IL in a corresponding move.  who's brave enough to grab strahm, diekman (or possibly schreiber) in a saves starved league?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

about a month too late, but the red sox finally came up with the phantom injury for matt barnes - he's sent to the IL with "right shoulder inflammation."  strahm activated from the Covid IL in a corresponding move.  who's brave enough to grab strahm, diekman (or possibly schreiber) in a saves starved league?

I'd pass if I were you.  It's amazing though to see how many good arms TB has that can close and the big market Sox can't find one decent RP.  

4 minutes ago, RonnieMac said:

I'd pass if I were you.  It's amazing though to see how many good arms TB has that can close and the big market Sox can't find one decent RP.  

i'm not going near that bullpen.  but for some, the risk is worth the reward.  

• Like 1

Anyone have any idea what's up with Jiminez his last few appearances? I haven't watched any of them, so I don't know if guys are making solid contact, he's getting squeezed, or just unlucky. Any guess as to how long of a leash he has? I can't imagine it's very long right now. I personally think it's just a little rough patch that he would get through if given the opportunity,  but I'm just not sure that he will in fact be given that opportunity. Trivino hasn't all of a sudden started pitching well, so that could be his saving grace...

Jiminez.  Yikes.

Was all over the place with his command.  Got hit hard.  Pulled after he walked a batter home, then the next guy allowed every single runner to score.  A really terrible outing.  He's been so good, I'll just chalk this up to not having it for a day.

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

And may they keep him on that list the rest of the season.  Let it be that they finally Old Yeller'ed him and put him -- and us -- out of our collective misery.

As for Dany Jimenez he pitched 0.2 innings and blew a save apparently yet has a +1 in my Save+Hold column on Yahoo.  Can someone explain this to me I only have that stat to go by so just guessing what happened?

• Like 1

Craig Kimbrel is unavailable for Wednesday's game against the Pirates while working to clean up his mechanics.

Dodgers skipper Dave Roberts told reporters that the veteran right-hander has been "too rotational in his delivery", so the team gave him a few days off to clean things up. Roberts did note that Kimbrel will pitch again by Friday. The 34-year-old hurler has been scored upon in five of his last seven outings, raising his ERA from 1.04 to 4.80 in the process.

• Like 1

Aroldis Chapman open to sharing closer role with Clay Holmes upon return ttps://

Asked on Tuesday if he’d be OK sharing the role with Holmes whenever he returns, Chapman said through an interpreter: “It’s simple: if we’re winning, it doesn’t matter where I’m at [in the bullpen].”

Chapman’s place in the bullpen had been in question for a while, and after being scored upon in five straight appearances, he was finally shut down.

The lefty played catch on Tuesday for the first time since being placed on the IL on May 24, but declined to put a time frame on a potential return since he’d yet to test the Achilles by running.

“You have to understand, this kind of injury requires a progression and taking rehab one day at a time,’’ Chapman said. “My arm feels really good. It was never affected, so that’s a plus. At the same time, you have to go one step at a time.”

https://nypost.com/2022/05/31/aroldis-chapman-open-to-sharing-closer-role-upon-return/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons