NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Which 3 to Keep?

12-team...start QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-RB/WR-WR/TE-DST. Keepers have rounds attached and rise one round every year they are kept. Once they are a 1st round keeper, however, they must go back in the draft unless they end the season on IR. Any player who hits the FA/Waiver market has his keeper value predicated on which tier he falls into, based on point totals...anywhere from the 3rd-7th rounds. 

Half PPR for RB and WR...Full PPR for TE.

I finished 3rd and have the 10th overall pick in the 1st round...snake draft. My options...
RB Christian McCaffrey...1st 
RB Alvin Kamara...8th 
RB Antonio Gibson...6th
RB Rhamondre Stevenson...6th
WR Allen Robinson...7th (was cut during the season and I bid enough to grab him and carry him on my bench for this purpose)
WR Tee Higgins...4th 
TE TJ Hockenson...5th

Allen Robinson seems like a slam dunk keeper in the 7th...but his current FP ADP is WR31 around pick 70. 

Kamara would seem to be in the 8th, but the offense just isn't the same with Jameis and Taysom running things. And now Jameis is getting Thomas back and adding Olave and Landry. I just don't see Kamara getting the touches, and especially the receptions, he was getting prior to 2021. And after Ingram arrived, his PPG dropped dramatically. And then there's the possible suspension (next court date is August 1). He's still a value in the 8th, but is he worth keeping considering the headaches and frustration that may come? FP ADP is overall 18, RB 11.  I will say, he was 5th in PPG last year, even with what felt like a very down season. 

I thought Gibson would be a sure keeper in the 6th...and then Washington convinced McKissic to back out of his agreement with Buffalo and drafted Robinson. Now I'm not even certain Gibson will return 6th round value, much less be a keeper there. FP still has him as 24th overall and RB 12. 

CMC with the 1.10...seems like I have to keep him. Injuries and missed games and all that. But with the 10th pick, if he plays even 3/4 of his games and is around for the playoffs, that's a steal. 

Higgins with the 4.03 seems awfully high. In 1/2 PPR he was the WR23 overall. That said, FP's current ADP has him at 34th overall (end of the 3rd rd) and WR12. Can Burrow really support two WR1s? 

Hockenson is only here because TEs get a full PPR in our league. 

Stevenson I could see returning a lot of value, but only if Harris misses significant time. 

Where would you go with this? If I had to turn in my list today, I think I'd keep CMC-1, Robinson-7, and ???.

Whoever I don't keep, I'm going to try to trade for a draft pick. 

On 5/23/2022 at 7:41 PM, Flyman75 said:

RB Christian McCaffrey...1st 
RB Alvin Kamara...8th 
RB Antonio Gibson...6th
RB Rhamondre Stevenson...6th
WR Allen Robinson...7th (was cut during the season and I bid enough to grab him and carry him on my bench for this purpose)
WR Tee Higgins...4th 
TE TJ Hockenson...5th

My choices would be CMC, Kamara, ARob and Gibson.

One of the RBs would have to drop from that list as you can keep only 3), and tbh there's something to say against each of them (as you already did). You didn't mention Kamara's court case, but him potentially going to jail counts as a pretty big strike for me. 

I'm very suspicious of CMC after 2 seasons of showing signs of overuse, but as you say, at pick 10 price you probably have to take him. I then possibly take the risk of Kamara over Gibson, where the signs point to an RBBC this season, but man, it's not an easy choice.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

One of the RBs would have to drop from that list as you can keep only 3), and tbh there's something to say against each of them (as you already did). You didn't mention Kamara's court case, but him potentially going to jail counts as a pretty big strike for me. 

I'm very suspicious of CMC after 2 seasons of showing signs of overuse, but as you say, at pick 10 price you probably have to take him. I then possibly take the risk of Kamara over Gibson, where the signs point to an RBBC this season, but man, it's not an easy choice.

Good luck!

I'll throw another name in there. I just realized that Cordarelle Patterson will be a 5th round keeper, and his only real competition in Atlanta is Damien Williams. Now, he was useless over weeks 14-18 and received far fewer targets and receptions in the 2nd half than he did in the 1st (38/47 in his first 8 games, 14/22 in his last 8 games). But I have to wonder if he was truly a one-year wonder, or if 2021 is something he can build on. 

54 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I just realized that Cordarelle Patterson will be a 5th round keeper, and his only real competition in Atlanta is Damien Williams.

Tyler Allgeier is definitely going to push Williams for a spot; whether he can usurp CoPat is another question of course.

55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

But I have to wonder if he was truly a one-year wonder, or if 2021 is something he can build on. 

If you look carefully in his history, it was Bill Belichick who first recognised his potential as a runner, but it was Dave Ragone who had worked with CoPat on the Bears, then brought him to Atlanta when he became OC and unleashed the beast.

This is a very long way to say: I think Ragone very much knew what he was getting and signed up for that; and I think he will try to replicate it. But I also think he got Allgeier to be a good complement (and DWill a reliable backup).

A 5th wouldn't be a bad price for CP at all, I think, but it's also not the opportunity of a lifetime. If you're hesitating about Kamara @ 8th round price, then I don't think Patterson is the better option.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Good luck!

I agree with the three RBs. I think you have to take the best 3 players and they just happen to have good value too. RBs are always tough to come by and Kamara and Gibson still offer great values at 8 and 6th rounds. You would never get them there even in redraft let alone keeper/dynasty. Moreover, as your keepers can change each year you really are playing to win each year. Get the best players and go all out. CMC would never fall to 1.10 so you are even getting value there. I don't know which players would be going back but I would assume you wouldn't be able to get a top RB still at 1.10.

Allen Robinson is someone I really like this year and his value is great. But I think you can likely still draft him if you want him even if it might cost you say a 6th round. Hard to say where he will end up ADP wise as he is slowly rising.

I wouldn't keep CPat with those better options above. Too much risk and he ended up injured down the stretch. He's great if he can stay healthy but he is getting older and I think they want to share the workload with them bringing in other backs.

I would love to start off my draft with CMC @ 1.10, Gibson in the 6th and Kamara in the 8th. Now the only thing with Karama is his legal situation and how long he may be suspended for. Hopefully you know more before you have to declare your keepers and you know how much time he might miss. If you put Kamara back in the draft and kept ARob instead that isn't a bad option either.

I'm not worried about Thomas or Olave or an old Ingram etc. If Kamara is playing he's still the man and has the potential to finish top 10. Only the legal issues give me pause.

CMC, Gibson, Kamara (and if not Arob).

As for Gibson he's still the lead back and the best athlete in that backfield. Even if he shares some of the workload he's a great RB to own. So much Gibson hate lately and I will gladly take him where he is falling.

• Thanks 1