NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Travis Etienne 2022 Outlook

1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

There we go. You got there.

Haha.  He should be an awesome value until JRob comes back. Will that be week 3, week 6, week 10... we have no idea. Regardless, the RB1 window will be likely be closed before the fantasy playoffs. 

On 5/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

This guy was an absolute stud in college. And he can catch. Yet there seems to be absolutely no buzz/hype surrounding him, even with Robinson out much of the year. What am I missing?

And now there's talk of him not even rushing the ball? Seriously, what am I missing? He's a very standard sized RB, had great rushing numbers in college, first round pick, no comp for carries. They talk about him like he's some gadget guy. I've never seen anything like it. 

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

And now there's talk of him not even rushing the ball? Seriously, what am I missing? He's a very standard sized RB, had great rushing numbers in college, first round pick, no comp for carries. They talk about him like he's some gadget guy. I've never seen anything like it. 

Well, the GM and coach who drafted him said the goal was for him to be a third down back and pass catcher. The coach is gone, but it looks like the new staff feels the same way. He'll likely have a bigger role until Robinson gets healthy, but we have no idea how long that will be. Robinson could be back in September... or December. With a healthy JRob, ETN is capped as a good PPR RB2. 

Travis Etienne Jr. (RB – JAC)

Dynasty Trade Value: 44 (+5)

Travis Etienne Jr. was a standout college football running back for the Clemson Tigers from 2017 to 2020 and was selected by the Jaguars in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft -25th overall. However, his rookie season was cut short by a preseason Lisfranc injury. Some NFL personnel reported that Etienne could have come back towards the end of the year had the Jaguars been in playoff contention instead of being the league’s laughing stock. Etienne is expected to be fully cleared by training camp, giving him a leg up on the RB1 role as the Jacksonville Jaguars install a new offense under new head coach Doug Pederson. With James Robinson attempting to come back from a torn Achilles injury suffered on December 26th, Etienne figures to be the featured back during this spring/summer. Do not forget what this guy did at Clemson with Trevor Lawrence (QB – JAC) as his quarterback. During his final season as a Clemson Tiger, he led the country in receiving yards and ranked second in receptions among running backs. Etienne also racked up the most rushing attempts of 20-plus yards (40) from 2018 to 2019 while only carrying the ball 20-plus times once since 2018.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/06/dynasty-trade-value-risers-trey-lance-courtland-sutton-travis-etienne-jr-2022-fantasy-football/

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ajs723 said:

The coach is gone, but it looks like the new staff feels the same way. 

Maybe but I haven't seen anything yet definitively that they won't use him as the primary rushing back. Like you said who knows when ARob will be back. What I do know is no RB has looked good the first year back after an achillies. If I had to put money on it I would say ARob is a non-factor this year. Yes Akers came back in year 1 but he didn't look good. He averaged 2.5 yards/carry when he came back. It has never been done. Achillies is serious business.

So that leaves the need for some RB on JAX to be the back on first and 2nd downs. Etienne, Armstead or Snoop. All values right now. You can go with the draft capital and pedigree of Etienne who had 5000 yards rushing at 7ypc and 70TDs in college or Armstead or the new rookie in Snoop.

There is serious value IMO in this backfield. If I had to guess who gets the most touches it would be Eitenne.

Maybe Armstead is a sneaky pick up ?

Edited by Big Nate

Posted (edited)

JaguarReport's John Shipley reports that Travis Etienne is "legitimately looking like his old self from an explosiveness standpoint."

I'm not sleeping on this guy. Wayyy too much upside plus him and Lawrence played together in college. That adds a little more comfortability IMO. Another guy he reminds me of is Jamal Charles. Explosive and same size as Travis. 

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Would you mind to give that quote? 

They said this stuff repeatedly last year. The fact that he's again focusing on receiving more than rushing is telling.

“I see [veteran free agent signing] Carlos [Hyde] and James the 1-2, downhill, powerful running backs. And I see Travis—there’s times where we could be in two-backs and Travis is a guy that goes out. Or we’re still playing with it but he’s certainly a third-down back and he’s a guy that’s a match-up issue for the defense.”

13 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

JaguarReport's John Shipley reports that Travis Etienne is "legitimately looking like his old self from an explosiveness standpoint."

I'm not sleeping on this guy. Wayyy too much upside plus him and Lawrence played together in college. That adds a little more comfortability IMO. Another guy he reminds me of is Jamal Charles. Explosive and same size as Travis.

Ahem, the rest of the blurb.

Etienne suffered a foot fracture in the summer of 2021 and has yet to play an NFL game, but he appears to be back to the form that earned him a first-round selection. Etienne is unlikely to be a workhorse this season, but his pass-catching ability and breakaway speed could still make him a fantasy start as the lead back in a committee. 

13 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

They said this stuff repeatedly last year. The fact that he's again focusing on receiving more than rushing is telling.

“I see [veteran free agent signing] Carlos [Hyde] and James the 1-2, downhill, powerful running backs. And I see Travis—there’s times where we could be in two-backs and Travis is a guy that goes out. Or we’re still playing with it but he’s certainly a third-down back and he’s a guy that’s a match-up issue for the defense.”

Ahh, Pinocchio Meyer. I had actually read the same article but focused a bit more on Baalke (who didn't say anything) and had chosen to ignore anything Meyer might have said.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Has it changed? Robinson blew his achillies. He might not be 100% this year. That leaves - Etienne. Currently going RB 22-25 range, about 50th overall. You can get an RB 2 with RB1 weekly upside in the 4th round. Maybe 5th in some drafts. Great value as your 2nd RB or even 3rd if you stack RBs off the start.

Who in your mind is getting all the carries to start the year? Moreover, TL gets his security blanket back this year in Etienne, something I think he was severely missing last year. It wouldn't surprise me if Etienne caught 50+ balls this year. This time next year we might be putting Etienne in the top 15 overall in ADP.

I'm just pointing out he has good value at his current ADP.

If JROB remains sidelined then the investment thesis gets better, no doubt. Considering Etienne's profile and past usage, and how he's being used in camp, I doubt he's going to be an every down guy. Now perhaps he's a limited touch player with high efficiency that thrives on passing work a la Kamara, Swift, Ekeler (of past years), etc. I can see the upside sure.

But rookie year Swift is like his best case scenario. Bad offense with limited scoring opportunities - Etienne will need to be really special to be a fantasy contributor. I don't know if he's as good as Swift but I'm really high on the latter and think he's the exception, not the rule.

I could see him being worth a late 4th or early 5th in PPR formats, although I'll probably be looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I burned a high dynasty pick on him last summer knowing he likely wouldn't play until this season. Cool story, I know, but I am sure I'm not the only one in here who did that and its nice to see it may pay off. The RB position is the most difficult to find steady, high end production in dynasty and it has a lot to do with how violent the position is. You always need to be looking for that next RB even if you're stacked at RB. Its not too late to buy in on this guy in dynasty and its a good idea in PPR if you can get him for a pick. This is not the high water mark on Etienne. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but what am I missing? The guy's 5'10" 215 (pretty prototypical lead back size), good 40, great college numbers at a big school, tons of TDs, heavy workload, and you're (not you specifically) telling me Hyde is a better early down option? A below average plodder at this stage in his career? That just makes absolutely no sense to me. 

If you just read the blurbs on this guy you'd think we were dealing with a very small school hybrid type player who missed a lot of time due to injury but was electric in limited touches, who was also say 5'8" 200 soaking wet. I just don't get it. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but what am I missing? The guy's 5'10" 215 (pretty prototypical lead back size), good 40, great college numbers at a big school, tons of TDs, heavy workload, and you're (not you specifically) telling me Hyde is a better early down option? A below average plodder at this stage in his career? That just makes absolutely no sense to me. 

If you just read the blurbs on this guy you'd think we were dealing with a very small school hybrid type player who missed a lot of time due to injury but was electric in limited touches, who was also say 5'8" 200 soaking wet. I just don't get it. 

I honestly don't get it either. I like ETN. I'm just going based on every report we've gotten over two off-seasons. They want to use him as a home run hitter and pass catcher. Not a workhorse. 

We'll see though. He might just simply earn more and more snaps. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I honestly don't get it either. I like ETN. I'm just going based on every report we've gotten over two off-seasons. They want to use him as a home run hitter and pass catcher. Not a workhorse. 

We'll see though. He might just simply earn more and more snaps. 

I wouldn't doubt that they run some sort of Committee - almost every team does now to keep the RBs fresh. I just don't see any competition for Etienne with Robinson down with his Achillies. Robinson blew his achillies 5 months ago. This is usually a 1 year+ rehab. I just don't see him being ready this fall. Moreover we haven't seen any RB come back in the next year from this injury and do well.

Etienne may just get tons of work this fall. Or maybe Armstead or Snoop gets a bunch of work. They may want to limit Etienne but even then he could explode. 10-12 carries a game and 5-6 receptions for a total of 15-17 touches could be fantastic for him. If he gets even more work - look out.

Etienne may (is?) be their best offensive weapon. If he is, how can they not use him? Then you add in his college QB is tossing him the rock.

Edited by Big Nate

5 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Couldn't agree more. The lack of love on this guy is nuts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

y’alls hype has already drove him to the th. ird round from the 4th. y can’t we hear zeke in the best shape of his lyfe shat…ughghhhh

Lol I literally just had NFL Access on, which I almost never watch, and they had a "Zeke feels 100% healthy!" discussion.   Quoted Dak saying Zeke was the best back in the league when he's healthy and everything!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

y’alls hype has already drove him to the third round from the 4th. y can’t we hear zeke in the best shape of his lyfe shat…ughghhhh

Just wait until we get to Tony Pollard next. 😈

22 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

y’alls hype has already drove him to the third round from the 4th. y can’t we hear zeke in the best shape of his lyfe shat…ughghhhh

hey everyone!! jrob is killing his rehab! the runs he’s breaking are reminiscent of king henry. word is while the tire was blown, he did nothing but curls, working on his stiff arm game 

16 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

hey everyone!! jrob is killing his rehab! the runs he’s breaking are reminiscent of king henry. word is while the tire was blown, he did nothing but curls, working on his stiff arm game 

He's might need to stiff arm just to get back to the line because he was slow before and now on a mended wheel he might have lost a step.

17 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

He won't have his job anymore by the time he is healthy. You don't draft a RB in the first to sit him behind JRob. He'll just be a handcuff. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...