Travis Etienne 2022 Outlook

I haven't had a strong thought on him.  I do think Doug will do what he always does and spread the RB touches, but Robinson probably is gonna have to come back very slowly, so Etienne could be a great early season rock.   

He'll get touches and was obviously electric in college but will probably still lose a good chunk of work and maybe GL to Ryquell and/or the rookie Snoop. It all depends what his ADP is in August when I draft. He seems like a guy who could be hyped like crazy if the coaches start talking him up during camp

8 hours ago, ajs723 said:

The death of JROb has been greatly exaggerated. 

I'd argue the much safer position is to bet on ETN.  He's had way more time too recover from his injury, he's got first round draft capital and his injury, while still a very serious one, projects to be less severe than a torn achillies, especially one which J-Rob hurt the day after Christmas.  

17 hours ago, MingusDew said:

Last year's moron coaching staff was going to feed this kid but that's all changed now. Way too much uncertainty here and a bottom 3 team to boot. Pass.

maybe i’m mistaken but didn’t those idiots talk about just a scatback 3rd down role. i actually see this regime as utilizing the talent…

Posted (edited)

Robinson is a true professional and seems to be a all around good dude. Productive also but coming back from a torn Achilles is no joke and doing so in a year where he has new coaches and a new system dials up the difficulty for him. Expectations should be tempered. He might have recovery setbacks. He might have trouble rushing as fast, as agile or as powerfully as before. He might have trouble getting used to the new schemes and coaches and/or carving out a good role because he won't be a full participant in anything this summer. There's a lot working against him early. That's not to write him off and I'm rooting for him to have a full recovery. We don't win chips by going with what we'd like to happen. We win chips by going with what we think is likely to happen.

Edited by Spyplane

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

maybe i’m mistaken but didn’t those idiots talk about just a scatback 3rd down role. i actually see this regime as utilizing the talent…

Eh maybe. But ultimately he was their inaugural first round pick and they seemed to want to move away from JROB (which they tried to do even without Etienne). They now have a coaching staff that loves RBBC and has no connection to that draft. Bad juju. 

5 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

yea , a blown achilles is no big deal.

I've read it was only a partial tear, and the staff is hoping he'll be ready to start the season. He's also a proven workhorse back, while we've never seen a single snap out of ETN. 

Starting to look like ETN is going to be the back to own early. I still think JRob will return. 

Depending on how high his ADP climbs, best strategy might be to draft ETN, then trade him a few weeks into the season. 

Tough to gauge Etienne this season.  With Robinson's late season injury, Etienne should be the primary RB at minimum for the first half of the season.  Obviously he was robbed of a rookie season so we haven't seen him produce in the NFL yet.  Has great pass-catching chops from college and the familiarity with Lawrence helps, but also this regime didn't draft Etienne so hard to gauge their commitment to him.  If i had to draft today, I'm probably ranking Etienne in the RB2 range based on opportunity.

I know it's super early, but FantasyPros ADP has Etienne as the RB23 which feels right.  He's behind guys like Akers, Conner and Mitchell, and ahead of CEH, Harris and Dillon.  That feels like a good value for him.  If he starts to climb ahead of the proven RBs I'll probably pass on him in drafts.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Starting to look like ETN is going to be the back to own early. I still think JRob will return. 

Depending on how high his ADP climbs, best strategy might be to draft ETN, then trade him a few weeks into the season. 

We should probably view this as an Aaron Jones/AJ Dillion type situation. Robinson isn't close to as talented as Dillon but he is rock solid and a better between the tackles runner than Etienne. I could see Robinson getting more close out opportunities when they're leading in the second half. I don't know how often that will be though. He needs to get healthy first though and Etienne getting this big head start with a new coaching staff may be huge.

• Like 2

This guy was an absolute stud in college. And he can catch. Yet there seems to be absolutely no buzz/hype surrounding him, even with Robinson out much of the year. What am I missing?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This guy was an absolute stud in college. And he can catch. Yet there seems to be absolutely no buzz/hype surrounding him, even with Robinson out much of the year. What am I missing?

The injury was one that is difficult to fully recover from for running backs. People are scared because of history. I'm not but that's what I think is happening.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 2

Jaguars RB Travis Etienne said, "I if I could be like Deebo Samuel, I would love that."

The quote came after a practice in which Etienne "seemingly only caught passes" according to CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones. The first-round back shot down the notion of switching to receiver but did preach the idea of using his position flexibility to exploit defenses. Etienne caught 85 passes for more than 1,000 yards in his final two seasons at Clemson. He should have a high floor as a pass-catcher early in his first season of action and could take on a hefty workload as a runner if James Robinson (torn Achilles') isn't ready for Week 1. Expect Etienne's ADP to steadily rise with each positive practice report throughout the summer.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, MingusDew said:

Last year's moron coaching staff was going to feed this kid but that's all changed now. Way too much uncertainty here and a bottom 3 team to boot. Pass.

Has it changed? Robinson blew his achillies. He might not be 100% this year. That leaves - Etienne. Currently going RB 22-25 range, about 50th overall. You can get an RB 2 with RB1 weekly upside in the 4th round. Maybe 5th in some drafts. Great value as your 2nd RB or even 3rd if you stack RBs off the start.

Who in your mind is getting all the carries to start the year? Moreover, TL gets his security blanket back this year in Etienne, something I think he was severely missing last year. It wouldn't surprise me if Etienne caught 50+ balls this year. This time next year we might be putting Etienne in the top 15 overall in ADP.

I'm just pointing out he has good value at his current ADP.

As for Robinson, even if he does make it back this season, it can take a full year+ until the player gets their explosive play making ability and quickness back. Akers last year was the ONLY player to come back in less than a year. Lets be honest, Akers didn't didn't look great when he came back.

I traded for Robinson last year in dynasty (before injury) as I believed in his talent. Robinson showed he can play and carry the load. Unfortunately achillies injuries are a death sentence for RBs. It is a massive blow for Robinson and I don't expect much at all from him this season. Etienne is going to eat up the snaps and the touches.

It wouldn't surprise me to see JAX trade for a vet as I don't expect Robinson to be 100% to start the season. They only have Armstead and Snoop Conner behind Etienne. Don't count on fantasy production from Robinson this year as achillies injuries are not good for RBs. I'd bet on Etienne to carry the load here.

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Jaguars RB Travis Etienne said, "I if I could be like Deebo Samuel, I would love that."

The quote came after a practice in which Etienne "seemingly only caught passes" according to CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones. The first-round back shot down the notion of switching to receiver but did preach the idea of using his position flexibility to exploit defenses. Etienne caught 85 passes for more than 1,000 yards in his final two seasons at Clemson. He should have a high floor as a pass-catcher early in his first season of action and could take on a hefty workload as a runner if James Robinson (torn Achilles') isn't ready for Week 1. Expect Etienne's ADP to steadily rise with each positive practice report throughout the summer.

Travis Etienne healthy, motivated and all-in on becoming Jaguars' Deebo-like weapon - CBSSports.com

32 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Etienne's rushing stats in college: 686att, 4952 yards, 7.2avg and 70TDs

I'll just leave that here.

He was drafted explicitly to be a passing down back. Now the new staff is using him exclusively as a pass catcher. 

If you're still telling yourself that ETN is going to be an every down workhorse RB, what more evidence do you need.

He's going to be a guy who gets 75 receptions and 125 carries a year.

He might see more volume early this season than he ever does again in his career.