NBC Sports EDGE Forums

1st Time Superflex Keeper Selection

Hey all, 

Our 10 team league I am commish of voted this off season to transition from .5 ppr keeper league into a .5 PPR Superflex league (one of the two flex spots can have a QB if desired).  I hear the drafting strategy is different, with a premium on the top QBs who often go in the early 1st round.  

That being said, we can keep 3 players from the previous year.  Below are the players I'd consider keeping, along with their draft cost (i.e. 5th round means I give up my 5th round pick to keep them).  Bold players are the three I am currently planning on keeping.  

For those experienced in superflex, would love your thoughts if my logic seems sound thus far.  Trades are beginning to happen, so I want to have a good idea where I'm at.

3 Currently Planned Keepers: 1) Josh Allen - 3rd Rounder (2) Justin Jefferson - 10th Rounder, (3) JK Dobbins - 13th Rounder

Other Options:

• DK - 11th Rounder
  • Cordarrelle Patterson - 13th Rounder
  • Damien Harris - 4th rounder
  • Elijah Mitchelle - 13th Rounder
  • James Robinson - 10th Rounder
  • Rhamondre Stevenson - 13th Rounder

55 minutes ago, croikee said:

3 Currently Planned Keepers: 1) Josh Allen - 3rd Rounder (2) Justin Jefferson - 10th Rounder, (3) JK Dobbins - 13th Rounder

Other Options:

• DK - 11th Rounder
  • Cordarrelle Patterson - 13th Rounder
  • Damien Harris - 4th rounder
  • Elijah Mitchelle - 13th Rounder
  • James Robinson - 10th Rounder
  • Rhamondre Stevenson - 13th Rounder

Looks rock solid to me. Josh Allen is arguably the #1 QB and JJ a top-10 pick, so those 2 can not be argued.

You could make a case for DK Metcalf instead of Dobbins, but in .5 PPR RBs have a premium, so I'd make him my 3rd round keeper.

In practice I would see if you can trade Metcalf plus Dobbins for someone even tastier. If you manage that, you would have an almost unfair advantage for next season.

I don't play superflex so I can't comment there but obviously you want to ensure you have good QBs. The only thing I would keep at the top of your mind is that with 3 keepers there will be TONS of changes year to year. While it is a keeper league it will mostly play out like redraft. It will be rare for people to keep the same players for years with only 3 keepers and their value changing.

I love these type of keeper leagues as there is usually lots of opportunity to trade and shuffle your deck. You are never really out of it and can/should be able to compete each year.

So don't put too much value in dynasty/long term values. Play to win and compete every year and keep the best players/studs. It is easy (outside of the QB position) to restock each year.

• Like 1