NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ty'Son Williams 2022 Outlook

Williams was the best RB on the Ravens last season after all the injuries, but he made a few mental mistakes in that big prime time loss and he was dead man walking after that.  

Very dumb on the Ravens part to play the tattered remnants of Devonta Freeman and Le'Veon Bell over Williams, who has much more juice.  They lost most of their games in the second half of the season, partly for that reason imo.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Williams was the best RB on the Ravens last season after all the injuries, but he made a few mental mistakes in that big prime time loss and he was dead man walking after that.  

Very dumb on the Ravens part to play the tattered remnants of Devonta Freeman and Le'Veon Bell over Williams, who has much more juice.  They lost most of their games in the second half of the season, partly for that reason imo.

agreed - someone will sign him and give him a shot in camp. 

Posted (edited)

Seriously brain dead they didn't roll with Williams and coach up any of his issues. He ran for 7.2 yards a carry in his first game and 5.9 in his second but holy chit he fumbled! Gotta bury him behind the carcass of literally any washed up vet RB we can dig up.

Hope he gets a crack somewhere else and balls out and makes them look like dumbasses.

Edited by Finisher
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

agreed - someone will sign him and give him a shot in camp. 

Just because he looks a little faster than the older vets doesn't mean he's a good RB. I love the 'coaches are dumb, I'm seeing things on my couch with a handful of Lays potato chips that they're missing in games/practice' notion that is pushed here so much. So many wanna be Bill Belicheck's on this board. I'm pretty sure this guy is journeyman talent at best and will probably be lucky to stick on a roster for 17 games next season.

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Just because he looks a little faster than the older vets doesn't mean he's a good RB. I love the 'coaches are dumb, I'm seeing things on my couch with a handful of Lays potato chips that they're missing in games/practice' notion that is pushed here so much. So many wanna be Bill Belicheck's on this board. I'm pretty sure this guy is journeyman talent at best and will probably be lucky to stick on a roster for 17 games next season.

Didn't say I know more about football than NFL coaches or that he is better than so and so. That said, I do think someone will give him a shot in camp. Honestly, as a street FA, that is really all he can hope for  - a chance to show what he can do. What happens from there, let's face it, we will all be a bit surprised if he goes somewhere and ends up being anything more Practice Squad/ deep on the depth chart. 

9 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

Didn't say I know more about football than NFL coaches or that he is better than so and so. That said, I do think someone will give him a shot in camp. Honestly, as a street FA, that is really all he can hope for  - a chance to show what he can do. What happens from there, let's face it, we will all be a bit surprised if he goes somewhere and ends up being anything more Practice Squad/ deep on the depth chart. 

You didn't say it but I quoted you because you posted you agreed with the guy saying it. So I assumed that's how you felt (Ravens coaches are dumb, they lost games because they didn't play the great Ty'Son Williams, etc etc)

Williams was the worst running back on the Ravens last season. Considerably. 

2 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

Williams was the worst running back on the Ravens last season. Considerably. 

I have no bone in this fight, but by what standard was he the worst? I won't mention his YPC again (which is a bad stat anyway) but even looking at his YAC he did pretty well. As in, 40% better than the next guy, which is substantial.

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I have no bone in this fight, but by what standard was he the worst? I won't mention his YPC again (which is a bad stat anyway) but even looking at his YAC he did pretty well. As in, 40% better than the next guy, which is substantial.

He's terrible in pass pro, consistently is late getting out to the check down, and has terrible vision. He repeatedly missed cutback lanes and shied away from lowering his shoulder to get tougher yards (I don't wanna call him soft but...). People getting way too hype on him scoring on a long TD run where the defense parted like the red sea. Murray and Freeman were so much better (and they weren't great either). 

• Like 1

Yes I agree that Freeman and Bell were better at being in the right spot, running the correct route, etc.  

But they were so old and slow that opposing D's did not need to fear them at all.

It is like the Frank Gore/Adam Gase dynamic.  Gore would run each play exactly as designed, and gain 2.2 yards.  Apparently Gase preferred that to a more dynamic player who may improvise or not hit his marks on the stage with 100% accuracy.

It is a very stupid approach to take.  And Gase's offenses were consistently amongst the worst in the NFL as he coached for year after year after year.

Last year, the Ravens were running the ball like an Adam Gase team.  And the results showed up in the win/loss column after Lamar went out.

12 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

He's terrible in pass pro

Source?

‚ÄúWilliams‚Äô 85.4 Pro Football Focus pass-block grade is the fourth-highest among all NFL running backs. Murray, on the other hand, has a dreadful 21.1 PFF pass-block grade that is the fourth-lowest.‚ÄĚ This was right around when he got banished to the bench.

5 hours ago, Finisher said:

Source?

‚ÄúWilliams‚Äô 85.4 Pro Football Focus pass-block grade is the fourth-highest among all NFL running backs. Murray, on the other hand, has a dreadful 21.1 PFF pass-block grade that is the fourth-lowest.‚ÄĚ This was right around when he got banished to the bench.

I don't care about PFF grades. At all. For any player. In any context. 

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes I agree that Freeman and Bell were better at being in the right spot, running the correct route, etc.  

But they were so old and slow that opposing D's did not need to fear them at all.

It is like the Frank Gore/Adam Gase dynamic.  Gore would run each play exactly as designed, and gain 2.2 yards.  Apparently Gase preferred that to a more dynamic player who may improvise or not hit his marks on the stage with 100% accuracy.

It is a very stupid approach to take.  And Gase's offenses were consistently amongst the worst in the NFL as he coached for year after year after year.

Last year, the Ravens were running the ball like an Adam Gase team.  And the results showed up in the win/loss column after Lamar went out.

Again I must ask what good run Ty'Son Williams had all season other than a long TD run where he basically just hit the hole and ran straight to the end zone. Any RB in the league would've scored a TD on that play. 

4 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

Again I must ask what good run Ty'Son Williams had all season other than a long TD run where he basically just hit the hole and ran straight to the end zone. Any RB in the league would've scored a TD on that play. 

We never really got to find out what he could do because he was basically mothballed after that big early season prime time game.

I personally think his cardinal sin was taking the ball from Lamar on a read option in that game.  The read is always, always, Lamar keeps it.

20 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

People in fantasy football circles downplay how important this actually is for real football teams. Not surprisingly (since it doesn't accrue any fantasy points)

22 minutes ago, owenmills said:

People in fantasy football circles downplay how important this actually is for real football teams. Not surprisingly (since it doesn't accrue any fantasy points)

I don't downplay it.  Obviously coaches love a RB who will make the correct blitz pickup, hit the right hole, and run the correct route.

However, if coaches were able to be just a bit more flexible about that stuff with a younger and faster player, it could pay off with some big runs.

Over a full season, all those touches and snaps given to late career Gore, Freeman, Bell and the like do not seem to add up to wins.