NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran 2022 Outlook

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Getting the call for the Sox. Any see him as a must add?

Debating the same thing. As a Sox fan I seen him play and know he has great skills, of course just being very young wasn't able to put it all together yet last season. I guess it's encouraging he's piping hot in AAA, although he was was red hot in triple last year as well and didn't exactly hit the ground running. So it's hard to tell what he might do at present. I'm also not sure how long he'll be up for,  if this is just a few spot starts with Kike and or others D2D or going to be used sparsely for depth. 

In deep leagues if someone has space he's definitely worth a add now react later IMO. I'm in a couple deep leagues myself and was thinking about adding someone else until I seen he's been called up, now I'm scratching head what I want to do lol. If he hits well I imagine he'll hang around for some time as the lineup needs a spark and sign of life. If he struggles again I'm not sure what the leash will be, if this isn't just a temporary call up. I hope he comes to BOS angry and ready to cause havoc, if he can hit this time around he'll score a ton of runs and I think BOS starving to score runs will give him the green light to steal at will. Last time I checked BOS only as a team only had a couple more runs and HRs than PIT lol. Hopefully Duran brings some a spark that get contagious. If he can hit well this time around the crazy speed he has could make him extremely valuable. 

Edited by tonywow

He’s high upside for steals if you need steals. He would be hitting in a good lineup. And if he figures out how to hit in the majors he could be leading off which would mean a good amount of runs for Duran. 

I mean, I understand the trepidation, but there's really very little risk here.  Teams that need SB I'd say he's an add here for sure.  He struggled terribly last year, but there's still a lot to like here.  Or maybe I'm just a Sox fan disgruntled with watching JBJ trying to swing a bat.

• Like 1

Just an FYI he changed his batting stance this year.  Instead of the huge leg kick it's much smaller kick and staying more balanced. He was also standing straight up last year.  This year he just looks more comfortable. Lou Merloni broke it down earlier this week.  He was way down on Duran last year.  With the changes he thinks he can succeed now and really likes him.  I'd grab him if possible. He's way better than the MLB player you saw last year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Deep leaguers desperate for SB are still starting Jorge Mateo. I'd much rather take a chance on Duran's upside. 

I won't be looking for him to steal bases. Boston doesn't exactly embrace the stolen base, just four in seven attempts through 25 games so far. Not likely he'll get the green light. Considering how bad he was in the majors last year, and general lack of power (1 HR in 14 Triple A games this season), I'm not expecting much. He turns 26 in September. Maybe the batting-stance adjustment has helped. I'm not convinced yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoopscribe said:

I won't be looking for him to steal bases. Boston doesn't exactly embrace the stolen base, just four in seven attempts through 25 games so far. Not likely he'll get the green light. Considering how bad he was in the majors last year, and general lack of power (1 HR in 14 Triple A games this season), I'm not expecting much. He turns 26 in September. Maybe the batting-stance adjustment has helped. I'm not convinced yet.

I get what you're saying , but who do they have that would've been stealing bases?  Story is the only regular with even a modicum of SB ability, and you can't get SB if you are never on base.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

I get what you're saying , but who do they have that would've been stealing bases?  Story is the only regular with even a modicum of SB ability, and you can't get SB if you are never on base.

Right?  I mean it's not as if you're going to be trying to create pandemonium on the basepaths with Bogaerts, Devers and JD Martinez.

26 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

Actually hit his 2nd HR yesterday.  1.116 OPS in 58 AB's this year.  7 for 8 in SB's. 9/13 BB/K.  You can hold last year against him if you want.  I'm just telling you he's a different player this year with a different approach.  

• Like 2

Boston is struggling offensively, they need a spark. This feels different than last year, I think he hits the ground running and they let him loose on the base paths. I’m willing to bet he immediately hits higher up the lineup as well. Just a gut feeling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Boston is struggling offensively, they need a spark. This feels different than last year, I think he hits the ground running and they let him loose on the base paths. I’m willing to bet he immediately hits higher up the lineup as well. Just a gut feeling. 

Remains to be seen. Everything he's done so far indicates very little power, and I can't envision Boston, with its heavy use of analytics, letting anyone short of Ricky Henderson to have a green light to steal bases. But a gut feeling ... that's all any of us can have at this point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

Remains to be seen. Everything he's done so far indicates very little power, and I can't envision Boston, with its heavy use of analytics, letting anyone short of Ricky Henderson to have a green light to steal bases. But a gut feeling ... that's all any of us can have at this point.

But he's not a power hitter. He had a nice little run last year in the minors,  but that's not who he is.  If everything breaks right he's probably 15-20 max for a year.  But the SB potential is huge.  The Red Sox will let him run.  The offense has struggled, they haven't had many chances to run and no one on the team has the potential that Duran has in that department.  

32 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

Oh they will let him run and steal.  They desperately WANT him to run.  They want aggressive base running including steals.  They just haven't had anyone that could do it in the past.  That is part of the reason for the signing of Story too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RonnieMac said:

But he's not a power hitter. He had a nice little run last year in the minors,  but that's not who he is.  If everything breaks right he's probably 15-20 max for a year.  But the SB potential is huge.  The Red Sox will let him run.  The offense has struggled, they haven't had many chances to run and no one on the team has the potential that Duran has in that department.  

I mean 20/30 is pretty sweet. And if he hits in the front of the lineup eventually that’s like 100 run season as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vonparker said:

I mean 20/30 is pretty sweet. And if he hits in the front of the lineup eventually that’s like 100 run season as well. 

Can't dispute how sweet 20/30, along with 100 runs, is sweet. But, aren't those numbers just a bit inflated based on his prior history and Boston's aversion to making outs on the base paths?

Let's revisit this in September, but I'd guess something closer to 10/10 if he even plays every day. And, I'm probably on the high side on SBs. Feel free to say "I told you so" when he gets close to 20/30 and 100 runs. I just don't have the optimism of others in this thread.

And, if Story was signed, in part, for his SB capability ... how is it that he has just 1 SB through 21 games?

11 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

Can't dispute how sweet 20/30, along with 100 runs, is sweet. But, aren't those numbers just a bit inflated based on his prior history and Boston's aversion to making outs on the base paths?

Let's revisit this in September, but I'd guess something closer to 10/10 if he even plays every day. And, I'm probably on the high side on SBs. Feel free to say "I told you so" when he gets close to 20/30 and 100 runs. I just don't have the optimism of others in this thread.

And, if Story was signed, in part, for his SB capability ... how is it that he has just 1 SB through 21 games?

Because he strikes out all the time and is hitting .210 with a .293 OBP. How can they let him steal when he can't get on base?

No way Duran only steals 10 bases in any season if he plays everyday and healthy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonnieMac said:

Actually hit his 2nd HR yesterday.  1.116 OPS in 58 AB's this year.  7 for 8 in SB's. 9/13 BB/K.  You can hold last year against him if you want.  I'm just telling you he's a different player this year with a different approach.  

3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Bingo, Bango, Bongo... Lets eat!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

Huh?  Do you watch Red Sox games?  Cora WANTS aggressive base running.  He always has.  He likes small ball.  And there has been a lot of same with some outs resulting.  But with speed you cut down on being thrown out as much as JD luckily getting into 2B yesterday on an obvious single but a bad throw that helped him.  Even with a good throw Jarren would have been safe easily.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

The only SB Story is getting these days stands for SomBrero 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RonnieMac said:

Just an FYI he changed his batting stance this year.  Instead of the huge leg kick it's much smaller kick and staying more balanced. He was also standing straight up last year.  This year he just looks more comfortable. Lou Merloni broke it down earlier this week.  He was way down on Duran last year.  With the changes he thinks he can succeed now and really likes him.  I'd grab him if possible. He's way better than the MLB player you saw last year. 

Here's the video of Lou breaking down the changes.  He knows his stuff....

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/lou-merloni-breaks-down-jarren-duran-fixing-his-swing

Here's yesterday's HR, huge difference....

• Thanks 1

That homer in the video above, considering where it landed, probably gets caught in front of the bullpen area in Boston. The fence is 382 feet at that point in Fenway. Note the distance at the park where Duran hit this one: 344 feet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, hoopscribe said:

That homer in the video above, considering where it landed, probably gets caught in front of the bullpen area in Boston. The fence is 382 feet at that point in Fenway. Note the distance at the park where Duran hit this one: 344 feet.

Fenway has the biggest RF in baseball.  He wouldn't hit every single ball to that exact spot.  And on the road it would be a homer in most parks.  So who cares.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2