NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Christian Watson 2022 Outlook

nn4mz

2 hours ago, Cardiak said:

Someone dropped Aiyuk the other day in my league. I scooped him but should I consider dropping for Watson? 👀

Not with Lazard coming back this week and listening to Rodgers post game he isn't happy with Watson right now (he did drop a 75 yard TD pass, but also he's the guy that has the skillset to open on that at a very high percentage).

I will say I'd rather own Watson in dynasty than Aiyuk (I lean towards the incredible ceiling of Watson).  But it's likely going to take Watson some time to really become fantasy relevant.  

My one thing I'm watching in the GB CHI game tomorrow is do they come back to Watson on a deep ball... hopefully they do and hopefully he catches.  Watson has the ability to on one play go for 75 yards and a TD all he has to do is catch the ball.  His speed and size that is going to be open many times this season.  It's just a matter of if they lose faith in him or not. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 7:02 AM, Spyplane said:

Opening play deep ball bounced off his hand... Then on Rodgers' last drive of the game Watson ran the correct route but failed in the timing and when he looked it was too late, almost causing a pick. That time he missed while injured is no doubt hurting him right now.

The bad news is that Rodgers doesn't trust him and Rodgers is not easy to deal with when you're not making him happy.

The good news is that no one on the team possesses Watson's natural game breaking traits (he's like a raw Mike Evans) and they desperately need him to make plays downfield. Rodgers needs him to do something. In a normal year he might not even be on the field until it was decided but if he did get on there and he messed up like that then he would be collecting cobwebs for a long time. This year they're desperate though and so I think he gets another opportunity relatively quickly. I'm unsure its next week but it could be. That opening play caused the defense to run deep zone the rest of the game and challenged the receivers to get open underneath and for Rodgers to hit them. The receivers couldn't do that, Rodgers held the ball way too long and got rocked multiple times. The coaching staff and Rodgers have a lot of incentive in finding a way to make it work with Watson this season, this month.

The bold is kind of my fear for right now.  But I also think about it, obviously they know they have a weapon in this kid.  They went to him 1st play of the game.  Apparently Rodgers told Erin Andrews to be ready for a big play first play before the game too.  So I don't think they would have done that without having faith in the guy (at least at the time).

Plus he was set back by injury didn't play in preseason and for a rookie you've gotta cut him some slack on that.  Is Rodger's going to be so dumb to just shun this guy the rest of the season?  I really hope not, so maybe he's in the dog house for a week or two?  But I have a funny feeling they're going to go back to him on that deep go again.  They should be trying for it at least once a week. 

Honestly as bad as the drop was... Isn't it still better that he completly roasted a veteran CB right off the break?  He was 2 maybe 3 strides in front of Peterson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Honestly as bad as the drop was... Isn't it still better that he completly roasted a veteran CB right off the break?  He was 2 maybe 3 strides in front of Peterson.

I believe in his talent. But his consistency is a "beautiful mystery" I'm willing to gamble on.

Lazard is good and should produce if force fed the ball. But Watson's ceiling is the sky.

13 hours ago, FouLLine said:

The bold is kind of my fear for right now.  But I also think about it, obviously they know they have a weapon in this kid.  They went to him 1st play of the game.  Apparently Rodgers told Erin Andrews to be ready for a big play first play before the game too.  So I don't think they would have done that without having faith in the guy (at least at the time).

Plus he was set back by injury didn't play in preseason and for a rookie you've gotta cut him some slack on that.  Is Rodger's going to be so dumb to just shun this guy the rest of the season?  I really hope not, so maybe he's in the dog house for a week or two?  But I have a funny feeling they're going to go back to him on that deep go again.  They should be trying for it at least once a week. 

Plus, no one at receiver didn't anything to break the game open. That one play was by far the biggest play for them of the game and it was a drop. They really need him this year and the fact he got back out there after that shows it.

• 4 weeks later...

So Rodgers on McAfee today said Watson was going to be heavily featured in the Bills game, lot of plays for him in the gameplan. Unfortunately, he got concussed early in the first quarter. Rodgers specifically went on to say "We need to get healthy, need to get 9 [Christian Watson] back." Keep this kid on your radar after he returns to practice. It feels like the Packers know what they have in him and want him to be heavily involved down the stretch.

He's very fast, very explosive, I imagine they want to run plenty of screens and slants through him. The play he got concussed was a short screen where he exploded through the middle for 10 yards.

I'm not expecting a Davante full route tree replacement, but his YAC ability pops on the small bit of film we have and I think they want to take advantage of that in a quick, simple, shorter passing attack. You mix in specifically designed YAC plays with a couple standard catches in games and you have a good PPR floor.

Edited by harck

I still think it's possible Watson emerges as GB's top wr at some point.  But it's unlikely and his chances seemingly worsen with each passing week.  Still,  he's a guy I roll a flyer on now and again in the hopes he has that one break out game.  He came into the packers behind due to an injury and I'm not sure if he's gotten anywhere close to catching up.  He hasn't been able to stay on the field.  

13 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I would rather have Lazard or Doubs and I don't know if this offense can feed a 3rd WR.  Watson seems a bit raw to me not mention injury prone. I suspect he'll have a few big plays this year but will lack consistency.

Yeah, I don't see it happening for Watson this year.  He's seemingly getting hurt every time he steps on the field and hasn't done much even when he's managed to be on it.

Dude needs to hit the weight room in the off season.

I want nothing outside of Lazard and Doubs (if Lazard is out) in this passing game.

Gone are the days when Rodgers and the Packers offense could support 2-3 top fantasy receivers. 

I like this guy as a flyer. I'm pretty much hoarding as much of these types as I can -- Toney, Watson, Burks, etc... they have good upside. The Packers have no one left at WR and it was reported Watson wasn't actually concussed. Both Rodgers and Lafleur have praised him in recent weeks and said they had a lot in the gameplan prepared for him.

Might be nothing, but guys like this are much better lotto tickets than career WR3-4s.

• Like 1

- Should be good healthwise, no second concussion

- No Doubs, No Cobb

- Watkins/Lazard perpetually banged up

- Rodgers/Lafleur had a handful of things they felt great about planned for Watson 2 weeks ago, but he left early with a concussion

- Elite athleticism, unlike anyone left on waivers

- Almost universally still available, because everyone has written him off due to bad injury luck and a horrendous drop

This guy is next week's top waiver add. I feel it in my plums.

• Haha 2