NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Christian Watson 2022 Outlook

nn4mz

Took him in the 16th round of a 12 man league.  Someone drafted Doubs in 12th round (lol) who I think will not match Watsons production.

let’s look at the WR room

watkins - good player but snake bitten by injuries every year.  Getting up there in age.

Cobb - up there in age. Will be steady but just a guy

Lazard - definition of JAG.  Already nursing injuries

Doubs - Good rookie but has drops problem  Rodgers won’t put up with that.  During preseason ball he looked like a slightly better James Jones to me

This leads us to Watson who is a complete freak.  Scored 99 on athleticism for WR.  Had minor surgery that put him under the radar throughout camp but now that he’s live there are reports of him Moss’ing people.  Simply put, the Packers don’t have anyone like him in their receiver room.  There’s a lot of targets that need to go around and have a feeling Watson is going to get them.  Can’t wait to see how he is used in this offense

Edited by marlin

I was debating Jalen Tolbert or Watson as my "upside" last pick in my 14 teamer and went with Watson as reports on Tolbert just haven't been great.

Truthfully, I doubt Watson does much either.  Yeah, he looks physically gifted.  But a huge thing with the Packers has always just been earning Rodgers trust and I'm not sure he could have that when he missed so much of camp.

But, that WR room is totally uninspiring.  Cobb should probably be retired, Watkins has been nothing but a career let down and Lazard seems to be hurt pretty frequently.

I have no idea what happens here and doubt anybody does.  The most likely scenario to me seems like we'll probably never have much confidence starting any of these guys because you won't know who is going emerge that week.  It'll probably all depend on luck, matchups and who catches the lucky long pass.

But no denying Watson is physical freak and he feels like a nice bench stash to me for now.  If he makes a couple big plays, he's a guy that could really ascend.  If he does nothing, he's an easy drop to just move on to the next guy.

34 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I was debating Jalen Tolbert or Watson as my "upside" last pick in my 14 teamer and went with Watson as reports on Tolbert just haven't been great.

Truthfully, I doubt Watson does much either.  Yeah, he looks physically gifted.  But a huge thing with the Packers has always just been earning Rodgers trust and I'm not sure he could have that when he missed so much of camp.

But, that WR room is totally uninspiring.  Cobb should probably be retired, Watkins has been nothing but a career let down and Lazard seems to be hurt pretty frequently.

I have no idea what happens here and doubt anybody does.  The most likely scenario to me seems like we'll probably never have much confidence starting any of these guys because you won't know who is going emerge that week.  It'll probably all depend on luck, matchups and who catches the lucky long pass.

But no denying Watson is physical freak and he feels like a nice bench stash to me for now.  If he makes a couple big plays, he's a guy that could really ascend.  If he does nothing, he's an easy drop to just move on to the next guy.

That was my view too. I’m in a league full of Packer fans and wanted no part of the WR room. Yeah Rodgers is going to throw passes but that room is totally uninspiring. Could see it where he just spreads it around. The only guy in the room that could change that is Watson. He is a high upside wild card.  He is the only one in the room that has upside worthy of being a fantasy pick. And if he doesn’t?  Then no worries because he came cheap and can move on to the next guy on waivers

• Like 1

Opening play deep ball bounced off his hand... Then on Rodgers' last drive of the game Watson ran the correct route but failed in the timing and when he looked it was too late, almost causing a pick. That time he missed while injured is no doubt hurting him right now.

The bad news is that Rodgers doesn't trust him and Rodgers is not easy to deal with when you're not making him happy.

The good news is that no one on the team possesses Watson's natural game breaking traits (he's like a raw Mike Evans) and they desperately need him to make plays downfield. Rodgers needs him to do something. In a normal year he might not even be on the field until it was decided but if he did get on there and he messed up like that then he would be collecting cobwebs for a long time. This year they're desperate though and so I think he gets another opportunity relatively quickly. I'm unsure its next week but it could be. That opening play caused the defense to run deep zone the rest of the game and challenged the receivers to get open underneath and for Rodgers to hit them. The receivers couldn't do that, Rodgers held the ball way too long and got rocked multiple times. The coaching staff and Rodgers have a lot of incentive in finding a way to make it work with Watson this season, this month.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 1:51 PM, affliction said:

Stash 

That's what he is exactly. You can just see him oozing immense potential every time he's on the field. His problem was all in his mind and you can coach him up and out of those mental mishaps. You can't coach anyone else into being 6'5'', 4.36 and with basketball hops. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Cool update- I didn't see most of the game and was wondering how he looked.  Raw is the adjective used so often since he was drafted, and I agree that frankly, they're going to need him at some point. 

Watched the whole game.  That first pass he dropped was an absolute killer.

What I noticed is the Packers definitely had a heavy WR rotation going.  I'm not sure what the snap counts were but I'd guess Watson probably played somewhere around 60% of the snaps or so.  I'd also wonder if he's Lazard's direct backup and how much less he would've played if Lazard had played?

Watson does have some wheels and physical skills.  One thing I'm not sure about is his strength though.  I'm not sure I see him winning against physical corners in contested situations.  So I'm not sure I see heavy usage in his future.

He'll probably make some big plays but RAW does seem like a good description for him based upon last night. 

I have Watson in my 14 teamer and probably will be moving on from him.  Maybe I'll give him one more week if it sounds like Lazard will be out again but most likely will be dropping and grabbing some other "hotter" free agent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Watched the whole game.  That first pass he dropped was an absolute killer.

What I noticed is the Packers definitely had a heavy WR rotation going.  I'm not sure what the snap counts were but I'd guess Watson probably played somewhere around 60% of the snaps or so.  I'd also wonder if he's Lazard's direct backup and how much less he would've played if Lazard had played?

Watson does have some wheels and physical skills.  One thing I'm not sure about is his strength though.  I'm not sure I see him winning against physical corners in contested situations.  So I'm not sure I see heavy usage in his future.

He'll probably make some big plays but RAW does seem like a good description for him based upon last night. 

I have Watson in my 14 teamer and probably will be moving on from him.  Maybe I'll give him one more week if it sounds like Lazard will be out again but most likely will be dropping and grabbing some other "hotter" free agent. 

Doubs was out there running the sorts of things you'd expect Lazard to be running. He(edit: Watson) is not Lazard's backup, he's a completely different sort of player.

Edited by Spyplane

From what I saw, Watson did have the 2nd highest snap count of receivers at 40, just behind Watkins at 41.  Cobb was at 37 and Doubs at 35.  Doubs led receivers in targets at 5 and Watson just behind at 4.  Watson is difficult to project because Lazard didn't play and Green Bay's passing attack looked awful. The fact that they gave Watson so much playing time after missing all of preseason may say alot though.  He's barely practiced with the team so I wouldn't have been surprised if he only got a few snaps, even with Lazard out.  Still, he's a difficult stash for me.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

This guy might get 10 snaps last week.  Rodgers is vindictive and he won't forget that "performance."  With Lazard (presumably) coming back, Watson will be on special teams detail.

hes a rookie who made a bonehead mistake in his 1st game...I remember Swift fumbling at the EZ in his first game.  He can rebound. As for Arod - I think he knows he has limited option at WR so he will be quick to forgive and move fwd with the kid.  

9 hours ago, tts42572 said:

That first pass he dropped was an absolute killer.

That crushed GB and his potential trust with Rodgers. If he doesn't drop that he's scoring a big TD.

This was his knock in college - lack of focus and dropping balls.

He has all the raw talent but those drops are rough. Snagged him in one dynasty league and really hope he can bounce back from that.

One of the primary issues for the 23-year-old wide receiver in college at North Dakota State was dropped passes. Watson dropped 16 passes on 120 career catchable targets at NDSU, per Pro Football Focus, and PFF’s Mike Renner noted prior to the draft that his “drop issues and ball tracking” were “a tad concerning.”

It’s very early, but based on reports emerging from Green Bay’s OTAs, it’s looking as though drops are still an issue for Watson.

“Christian Watson had another drop against air in drills today,” Packer Report’s Andy Herman tweeted on May 31. “His hands have definitely been questionable. I don’t think there’s been a practice yet where he hasn’t dropped at least one pass. Does it matter much? Prob not – but noteworthy at least.”

If i had a dollar for every time I heard someone on this forum say, "Rodgers wont forget that" or "Rodgers holds grudges"...

I seriously doubt the rookie, who has size and game breaking speed, is dead to Aaron after one drop...on the first play of his career...on 40 yard sprint down the field.  **** happens.

You guys who repeat this nonsense, do think for yourselves at all or do you just repeat everything that you read on fantasy websites? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

If i had a dollar for every time I heard someone on this forum say, "Rodgers wont forget that" or "Rodgers holds grudges"...

I seriously doubt the rookie, who has size and game breaking speed, is dead to Aaron after one drop...on the first play of his career...on 40 yard sprint down the field.  **** happens.

You guys who repeat this nonsense, do think for yourselves at all or do you just repeat everything that you read on fantasy websites? 

This guy speaks the truth.  Rodgers clearly doesn't value being an a**hole over winning.  If Watson can help him win going forward, he'll get targets.  There was a time when Davante Adams was viewed as a disappointment...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2018/07/11/in-two-short-years-packers-wideout-davante-adams-has-turned-his-career-around/?sh=4f86f84e1ee4

The 2015 season had just ended, and with Adams having had an extremely disappointing year, his future in Green Bay seemed tenuous at best.

Adams caught 50 passes in 2015 but averaged a pedestrian 9.7 yards per reception and just 3.0 yards after the catch. Adams dropped 12 of the 96 passes thrown his way in 2015 (12.5%), and Pro Football Focus ranked him as the No. 118 receiver out of 119 who played at least 25% of their team’s snaps.

I think he ended up having a pretty decent run with Rodgers.  I have my eye on Watson.  The WR core is barren in Green Bay and waiting for someone to step up.  After Lazard, he's probably the best bet.

I remember when Davate Adam's had butterfinger as a rookie. 

Granted, Adam's Rookie year didn't eclipse 500 yards, but the packers WR core had prime Jordy Nelson and Randel Cobb ahead of him. 

So this could play out different with a weak WR core.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

I remember when Davate Adam's had butterfinger as a rookie. 

Granted, Adam's Rookie year didn't eclipse 500 yards, but the packers WR core had prime Jordy Nelson and Randel Cobb ahead of him. 

So this could play out different with a weak WR core.

Someone dropped Aiyuk the other day in my league. I scooped him but should I consider dropping for Watson? 👀

2 hours ago, Cardiak said:

Someone dropped Aiyuk the other day in my league. I scooped him but should I consider dropping for Watson? 👀

If we're talking probability then there's a higher chance that Aiyuk has a meaningful fantasy season than Watson does.  Aiyuk is the better hold for now.  But if you're in a yahoo league, your waivers may start per game.  Aiyuk plays at 4pm and Watson on Sunday night.  So if Aiyuk doesn't show much hope on Sunday, you can probably still drop him for Watson before the Sunday night game starts.  Watson is like 12% owned so chances are, he'll be there.  

• Like 1

Watson is a monster and his upside (especially in dynasty) is undeniable to me. 

First play from scrimmage for GB he got open by like 2 or 3 strides and dropped a wide open 75 yard TD pass.  Hopefully they don't hold it against the rookie so much and keep working him in. 

Watson on the field is the biggest WR (other than DK Metcalf) yet he's the fastest guy on the field let him get in rythm with Rodgers.  This is a guy that may be huge in the 2nd half of this season.

• Like 1