NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook

TTo34

Seals Jones has been MIA all camp, not a threat

Golladay is a shell of his former self, was actually starting to lose snaps to Sills/Johnson in camp and actually shifting to TE at times [Yes, Golladay]. Honestly, Colin Johnson looked exponentially better than Golladay all summer. Shame he is now out for the year. 

Shepard is the wild card; Heard rumblings of being back "sooner than later" but shocked it's this soon. By all accounts he was full speed ahead and 100% recovered. It's a wildcard because when he's on the field, Jones feeds him and Shepard can line up at any WR spot. Thinking this will impact Wandale more than Toney - Robinson was selected to be Shep's eventual successor [not the absurd Toney / trade nonsense]

Bellinger's been up and down and this offense may not feature much in the way of TE ... but Bellinger is a must for keeper/dynasty leaguers. The guy has a nearly identical athletic profile to travis kelce .[like, almost identical].. and their new OC is from KC. Long term, Bellinger has the chance to be an incredible 2-way TE [already an excellent blocker and the Giants starting TE].

And now, Kadarius Toney: Can confirm WR/RB/Wildcat QB is not only on the table, but very much in full effect. Toney throws 50+ yard bombs fairly consistently ... and makes it look easy. This new staff have shown 0.001% of what's in store for this offense this year. If you want an idea, go back and watch his college highlights: those ankle breaking jet sweeps, screens, backfield snaps, and occasional 50+ yard pass are very much a part of this offense. 

Bright side: even with the vanilla scheme, the OL looks vastly improved [New C, G, RT] and Andrew Thomas is on his way to establishing himself as an elite LT. 

[Toney is healthy and was never being shopped or traded, enjoy]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, owenmills said:

I love how hard Ghost boy is campaigning for Toney and acting like everyone who has concerns is a moron. Going to be a win/win situation, either Toney delivers or we'll have yet another thread he puts his foot in his mouth

Sorry for providing updates - could not care less if you own him or not 

He’s not injured, he was never being shopped, you’re welcome and do what you will … or maybe he’ll get hurt / bust and then you can troll a stranger on the internet 4 months from now. 

off to the beach, have a nice day 

1 hour ago, kp96 said:

Toney is a WR4 with upside (if he's your WR3, you did something very wrong). 

There is a sea of WR4s with upside. 

Why is this thread 9 pages long?

Who are these other WR4s with similar upside / featured role / metrics that say they were amongst the elite of the elite on a per play basis ? 

4 hours ago, owenmills said:

I love how hard Ghost boy is campaigning for Toney and acting like everyone who has concerns is a moron. Going to be a win/win situation, either Toney delivers or we'll have yet another thread he puts his foot in his mouth

yeah-bwoi-grin.gif

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Who are these other WR4s with similar upside / featured role / metrics that say they were amongst the elite of the elite on a per play basis ? 

Where are you ranking him among WRs?  And who are the 3 WRs directly below him?

Edited by kp96

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

Toney is a WR4 with upside (if he's your WR3, you did something very wrong). 

There is a sea of WR4s with upside. 

Why is this thread 9 pages long?

Mostly because he has a wiiiiiiiide range of outcomes. He definitely has the talent to put up WR 1 numbers, and may or may not be in an offense that will target him a bunch. The truth is we really don't know much about his usage because it's an entirely new coaching regime there in NJ. Joe Judge and  his offense was is gone so the truth of the matter is just about any sentient being is probably an upgrade over...whatever that was last season.

On the other hand, he was always injured last season. He REALLY only played like...two full games out of a possible 17 (generally he looked spectacular in those games) and had something like 14 listed injuries. Some of us think he probably won't stay healthy to take advantage of all of those extra touches, he ends up being questionable all the time, and becomes one of those players that's too good for you to drop but you never trust enough to start, basically the worst kind of player to own. Some of us say that injury worries are overblown and he's a almost definitely WR 1 material.

Personally I think there's a very good chance you get two or four great games out of him then he spends a lot of the rest of the season being day-to-day or week-to-week and maybe starting some games and not finishing them due to injury but I also understand the excitement of taking a chance on a guy like him. Whether or not I draft him might come down to my team's comp or just how I'm feeling that day. It's just about how much risk you're feeling like taking on and your capacity for dealing with a bunch of "might or might not play" weeks. 

Other WRs in his range are Lockett, Nuk, Christian Kirk, Hunter Renfrow, Robert Woods, Treylon Burks, Chris Olave, Chase Claypool, and Garrett Wilson. I'd probably take him over any of the rookies, Lockett (that team will be a garbage fire), Woods (cooked), and Nuk (don't like holding guys who won't be playing for months). Kirk might get 100 million targets on that Jags team, Renfrow might be Slantboi Light, and Chase is a physical freak that might be the 2nd or 4th read in his offense so those are guys I'd also consider in his range. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Man idk if he’ll be any use or provide any fantasy relevancy but doesn’t he give you allen iverson vibes.. like the kinda guy that can not play, not practice, not look at a ball for 3 months then come out and just be the best guy on the court/field even with professionals. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Man idk if he’ll be any use or provide any fantasy relevancy but doesn’t he give you allen iverson vibes.. like the kinda guy that can not play, not practice, not look at a ball for 3 months then come out and just be the best guy on the court/field even with professionals. 

It’s honestly how it looks every practice 

I have never seen a person maintain full speed while changing direction so effortlessly 

he’s going to be uncoverable in this offense with all the pre-snap motion and option routes at their disposal 

33 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

It’s honestly how it looks every practice 

I have never seen a person maintain full speed while changing direction so effortlessly 

and this is the maddening conundrum with this chap - his greatest asset (the jitterbug quickness, constant cutting/darting to create space or seperate) is also what leads to his greatest weakness: injuries. 

that puts an incredible strain on the joints and tendons of a very pounded on extremity ... the legs are already taxed to the Nth simply from the regular tasks a foosbsll player needs to execute, let alone the 1,000 swabs of mustard ol' Toney slathers on top of that. 

so, yeah ... it's easy (lazy?) to constantly bag on his boo-boos, but understand that he's moving and shifting in ways that human body just ain't cool wif - his game is predicated on maximizing the pressure those joints can sustain. 

he only knows one way to play - and that's to be as reckless as need be to get in n' outta his jive.  

anyone got the gif for  "kamikaze waterbug"? 

🤔

• Like 5

Been practicing for over a week, would’ve played last preseason game if actual regular season game that mattered

Barkley, Jones, the OL, and Toney didn’t play - only starters that played were rookies getting limited reps and … Kenny Golladay 

Who was on his way to losing his job to Collin Johnson (6’6 monster, injured unfortunately) and is now on the verge of losing snaps to David Sills/Sterling Shepard 

Short version: Toney rested with the starters, Golladay will be off the team the millisecond it makes financial cap sense to do so 

• Haha 1

Report out that he’s looking really good at practice and his prospects of playing week 1 and being healthy are looking favorable. Just have to pray to the Lord there isn’t a set back. If by the Grace of God this man can play a full season, he will light the league on fire. 

Edited by Footballguy99
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Footballguy99 said:

Report out that he’s looking really good at practice and his prospects of playing week 1 and being healthy are looking favorable. Just have to pray to the Lord there isn’t a set back. If by the Grace of God this man can play a full season, he will light the league on fire. 

Do you have a source by any chance?

Been digging around and can’t find anything besides videos of him at Jets joint practice nearly a week ago. 

2 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

Do you have a source by any chance?

Been digging around and can’t find anything besides videos of him at Jets joint practice nearly a week ago. 

In many cases with a mild, grade 1 strain a guy can be eased in and ramped up over the course of a few weeks and be good to go. He’s going to be over a full month into recovery and they’re being especially cautious so that he’s ready for week 1. I think with a good practice yesterday it should give him very strong odds of playing. Right now I’d expect him to play unless there’s any report of a set back at this point 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Footballguy99 said:

In many cases with a mild, grade 1 strain a guy can be eased in and ramped up over the course of a few weeks and be good to go. He’s going to be over a full month into recovery and they’re being especially cautious so that he’s ready for week 1. I think with a good practice yesterday it should give him very strong odds of playing. Right now I’d expect him to play unless there’s any report of a set back at this point 

"Improving" translated from Coach Speak doesn't exactly fill me with confidence lol.

Edited by harck

7 minutes ago, harck said:

"Improving" translated from Coach Speak doesn't exactly fill me with confidence lol.

Daboll is pretty measured in his responses on things for the most part. I think improving is just a mild way to put it that doesn’t show their hand to much or build expectations one way or another. They’re cautiously bringing him along and with what we know of mild strains and in consideration of a good practice yesterday, it would seem he’s well on track for week 1. 

13 minutes ago, Footballguy99 said:

Big news. New report saying Toney looks 100%. f--- YES 😈. I have this man on every single team. Along with AJ Dillon 

would be cool if we could morph them into a foosball hybrid - give Joka ol' AJs thighs. 

i'd draft that player.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1