NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook

12 hours ago, Footballguy99 said:

Any guy can get injured at any time. And his recent ailment is being treated with special precaution to ensure he’s ready to begin the season. Toney is absolutely electric. He’s one of the most sensational talents I’ve ever seen. He’s a bet I’m taking all day around 100.

100 is nuts to me.  He's a worthwhile picks 3 or 4 rounds later.  You can possibly play him right out the gate, but even if you take him around 100 you probably have better options. 

Remember: he had one or two big games last year, then got put in fantasy lineups, then put up duds and got off-and-on hurt.

He might pair well with Hopkins, who can be held the first 6 games and come back (hopefully) in time to replace an injured or ineffective Toney in your lineup.  Otherwise, I'd have this dude on my bench until he puts together a 4 games or more stretch of being both healthy and productive. 

He was a headache to deal with last year.  He'll probably be a headache to deal with again.  But he does offer big upside at cheap cost.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:04 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Typically in my experience the best way to win a championship is to fall @$$ backwards into a free agent pickup that has an amazing December because some dude you drafted either sucked or got hurt and he single handedly carries you across the line.

It wasn't single handed by any means, but: thanks Rashaad Penny!  And thanks CBS app for screwing up the waivers and costing me Ronald Jones!

Huge Giants fan here who absolutely loves Toney and knows what he is capable of. I definitely will be trying to get him on my team as I'm a huge homer and want to have him for his boom weeks. But so far he has shown to be made out of absolute glass. It's almost a certainty that he will miss multiple games, and that could end up being 10+ games. So he is a huge injury risk and anyone saying he is 100% worth grabbing is wrong.

But if manages to play 13+ games in this Daboll offense, watch out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strahanfan92 said:

Huge Giants fan here who absolutely loves Toney and knows what he is capable of. I definitely will be trying to get him on my team as I'm a huge homer and want to have him for his boom weeks. But so far he has shown to be made out of absolute glass. It's almost a certainty that he will miss multiple games, and that could end up being 10+ games. So he is a huge injury risk and anyone saying he is 100% worth grabbing is wrong.

But if manages to play 13+ games in this Daboll offense, watch out.

broken-finger-michael-strahan.gif

i think anyone bothering up in here, or considering him in their draft(s), or drafted him already, understsnds the baked in massive injury red flags. 

but he is definitely 100% worth grabbing down at his current adp ... play to win, man - the kid will prolly be most team's wr4 or 5 - NO RISKY, NO BISKY!

8 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

100 is nuts to me.  He's a worthwhile picks 3 or 4 rounds later.  You can possibly play him right out the gate, but even if you take him around 100 you probably have better options. 

Remember: he had one or two big games last year, then got put in fantasy lineups, then put up duds and got off-and-on hurt.

He might pair well with Hopkins, who can be held the first 6 games and come back (hopefully) in time to replace an injured or ineffective Toney in your lineup.  Otherwise, I'd have this dude on my bench until he puts together a 4 games or more stretch of being both healthy and productive. 

He was a headache to deal with last year.  He'll probably be a headache to deal with again.  But he does offer big upside at cheap cost.

• New offense from a new coaching staff who put him in the dog house right out of the gate.
  • Questionable QB.
  • More competition.
  • Injuries still ongoing. 
  • Mental composure a major concern.

Draft around 100? To me I'd rather watch someone else thread that needle for a good payoff. There are safer bets with good potential payoffs.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spyplane said:
  • New offense from a new coaching staff who put him in the dog house right out of the gate.
  • Questionable QB.
  • More competition.
  • Injuries still ongoing. 
  • Mental composure a major concern.

Draft around 100? To me I'd rather watch someone else thread that needle for a good payoff. There are safer bets with good potential payoffs.

All valid except I'm not sure about more competition. Shepard was really good last year and a target monster, and was probably a reason Toney didn't do better. After Toney's blowup game(which Shepard missed) Sterling Shepard came back the next week to 14 targets, compared to Toney's 3(although maybe Toney didn't play that whole game?). If he was coming into this season healthy I'd be fading Toney a little more. But he ended up blowing out his achilles and probably will not be much of a factor. Also Golladay is a year older and a year crappier, and should be even less competition for Toney. I don't expect the rookie to be much competition for a healthy Toney week 1 of his first season.

One of my main reasons for liking Toney, next to his talent, is the actual LACK of competition and if he can actually stay on the field he should easily be the #1 WR. 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

After Toney's blowup game(which Shepard missed) Sterling Shepard came back the next week to 14 targets, compared to Toney's 3(although maybe Toney didn't play that whole game?).  

correct, he left on the 1st drive. 

but, before he did, he had all 3 of Dimez targets, for 34 yds - he was chewing the Rams up like a rag doll.

ETA - that was ALL on the opening drive.  

Edited by Pastor3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, owenmills said:

All valid except I'm not sure about more competition. Shepard was really good last year and a target monster, and was probably a reason Toney didn't do better. After Toney's blowup game(which Shepard missed) Sterling Shepard came back the next week to 14 targets, compared to Toney's 3(although maybe Toney didn't play that whole game?). If he was coming into this season healthy I'd be fading Toney a little more. But he ended up blowing out his achilles and probably will not be much of a factor. Also Golladay is a year older and a year crappier, and should be even less competition for Toney. I don't expect the rookie to be much competition for a healthy Toney week 1 of his first season.

One of my main reasons for liking Toney, next to his talent, is the actual LACK of competition and if he can actually stay on the field he should easily be the #1 WR. 

edit: already answered above

Edited by cnewbykkn

31 minutes ago, Pastor3 said:

but, before he did, he had all 3 of Dimez targets, for 34 yds - he was chewing the Rams up like a rag doll.

I thought I remembered something like that happening.

Anyways, I think a healthy Shepard would've been more competition than any of the guys in the WR room this season. The rookie might blossom eventually though

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, owenmills said:

They drafted a guy that does pretty much everything Toney does. That was right around the same time the team leaked rumors they were planning to trade Toney.

Just now, owenmills said:

I thought I remembered something like that happening.

Anyways, I think a healthy Shepard would've been more competition than any of the guys in the WR room this season. The rookie might blossom eventually though

yeah, there are any number of reasons to have trepidation with the kid, but competition ain't one.

also can't discount how much a functioning Barkley can elevate this entire offense. 

wheels up at this adp, baby. 

The kid is absolutely electric. Lots of hurdles mentioned and with any other player I would look elsewhere, but if there is any chance this ticket hits, I definitely want to be part of the ride.

Edited by vikesrube
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

They drafted a guy that does pretty much everything Toney does. That was right around the same time the team leaked rumors they were planning to trade Toney.

What's the only thing better than Kadarius Toney?

TWO Kadarius Toneys!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pastor3 said:

That game was such a nut punch

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

That game was such a nut punch

i crawled into a bottle of 'Shmills shortly after his exit - 'twas the death knell for any hopes of magick foosball victory. 

3 minutes ago, kdko said:

Why are you guys trying your best to put me through this pain again?  Also, its working

AND I'M BACK. TOO! 🥳

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spyplane said:

The team leaked nothing, nor were the rumors substantiated in any way. 

What actually happened was Toney wasn’t on the field for voluntary OTA, and a local clickbait “journalist” made a story out of nothing. The absence was excused, due to recovery from minor knee surgery that they’ve been babying all summer. Toney was actually in town several days before the public was aware. His excused absence went from a non issue to rampant speculation based on absolutely nothing.

Wandale Robinson was selected because he’s an excellent player and an excellent scheme fit and because entering 2023 Golladay, Shepard, and Slayton will be off the team. 

The same journalist peppered the GM with Toney questions after the draft and you can see him visibly get agitated - look up  “reflect on what I just said / Joe Schoen”  for a good laugh.

Toney never was being shopped, traded, or anything other than an excused absence who actually did report to voluntary OTAs - receiving rave reviews from the new staff about his work ethic. Daboll has gone as far as to expand Toney’s responsibility in the offense (WR, slot, RB, wildcat QB - he has a huge arm). 

Non story from the beginning. Toney and Barkley are going to be the focal point of the Giants offense this year. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

The team leaked nothing, nor were the rumors substantiated in any way. 

What actually happened was Toney wasn’t on the field for voluntary OTA, and a local clickbait “journalist” made a story out of nothing. The absence was excused, due to recovery from minor knee surgery that they’ve been babying all summer. Toney was actually in town several days before the public was aware. His excused absence went from a non issue to rampant speculation based on absolutely nothing.

Wandale Robinson was selected because he’s an excellent player and an excellent scheme fit and because entering 2023 Golladay, Shepard, and Slayton will be off the team. 

The same journalist peppered the GM with Toney questions after the draft and you can see him visibly get agitated - look up  “reflect on what I just said / Joe Schoen”  for a good laugh.

Toney never was being shopped, traded, or anything other than an excused absence who actually did report to voluntary OTAs - receiving rave reviews from the new staff about his work ethic. Daboll has gone as far as to expand Toney’s responsibility in the offense (WR, slot, RB, wildcat QB - he has a huge arm). 

Non story from the beginning. Toney and Barkley are going to be the focal point of the Giants offense this year. 

Oh yeah, tell me more baby

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Daboll and Toney are clicking on and off the field … 

Lets just say Daboll and Toney (and the OC) are very much in sync. Toney’s

ADP is an absolute steal

Am hoping they keep him out of preseason stuff to keep the ADP down 

Ugh - I was very content to be out on him after the roller coaster ride of rostering him last year. Now I'm back on board. I think he might replace someone like Olave or Pickens on my draft boards, which pains me to say. Who are some receivers or running backs y'all are taking him over?