Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, yossarian said:

He won't. He had a grocery list of injuries last season and he's already been injured this preseason and now they're treating him like he's a 10 year veteran and wrapping him in bubble wrap. He's talented as all heck but he can't stay on the field and now he's not getting any practice reps in a totally new offense under a totally new coaching regime. 

He’s been “on the field” a lot more than you realize and knows the playbook so we’ll that they’ve actually increased his role beyond just WR responsibilities … even when he’s not participating in practice, he’s been out on the field running / cutting full speed. 
 

he’s being wrapped in bubble wrap because this staff knows exactly what he’s capable of and intend on unleashing it when the games actually matter. 
 

Or pass on the #1 WR in an offense designed by minds from Buffalo / KC who’s also getting reps in the slot, backfield, and as a redzone/wildcat QB. 
 

If there’s going to be a 2022 version or Deebo Samuel’s breakout … it’s gonna be Kadarius Toney. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He’s been “on the field” a lot more than you realize and knows the playbook so we’ll that they’ve actually increased his role beyond just WR responsibilities … even when he’s not participating in practice, he’s been out on the field running / cutting full speed. 
 

he’s being wrapped in bubble wrap because this staff knows exactly what he’s capable of and intend on unleashing it when the games actually matter. 
 

Or pass on the #1 WR in an offense designed by minds from Buffalo / KC who’s also getting reps in the slot, backfield, and as a redzone/wildcat QB. 
 

If there’s going to be a 2022 version or Deebo Samuel’s breakout … it’s gonna be Kadarius Toney. 

And as talented as Samuels is, he’s not even in the same league as Toney in burst and ability to create separation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He’s been “on the field” a lot more than you realize and knows the playbook so we’ll that they’ve actually increased his role beyond just WR responsibilities … even when he’s not participating in practice, he’s been out on the field running / cutting full speed. 
 

he’s being wrapped in bubble wrap because this staff knows exactly what he’s capable of and intend on unleashing it when the games actually matter. 
 

Or pass on the #1 WR in an offense designed by minds from Buffalo / KC who’s also getting reps in the slot, backfield, and as a redzone/wildcat QB. 
 

If there’s going to be a 2022 version or Deebo Samuel’s breakout … it’s gonna be Kadarius Toney. 

Are you making this up or if this real

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Grungejrrgv said:

Are you making this up or if this real

Been to training camp several times … watched it with my own eyes, not to mention the beat writers/daily wrap ups if you look hard enough 

Daboll also publicly admitted to approaching Kadarius about multiple roles so this isn’t top secret information … how it’ll be fully implemented has not and will not be shown in a preseason game (he would’ve played last night if it was regular season)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Been to training camp several times … watched it with my own eyes, not to mention the beat writers/daily wrap ups if you look hard enough 

Daboll also publicly admitted to approaching Kadarius about multiple roles so this isn’t top secret information … how it’ll be fully implemented has not and will not be shown in a preseason game (he would’ve played last night if it was regular season)

If Daboll is half as sharp an offensive mind as advertised he'll have a significant role carved out for Toney.  Toney is the type of talent that should see at least 10 touches every game.  Glad to hear they are giving him reps in the CPat/Deebo role

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, YoungDro said:

If Daboll is half as sharp an offensive mind as advertised he'll have a significant role carved out for Toney.  Toney is the type of talent that should see at least 10 touches every game.  Glad to hear they are giving him reps in the CPat/Deebo role

Health is the only concern. He reminds me a lot of Diontae Johnson as far as the type of player he could be, just has to stay healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Been to training camp several times … watched it with my own eyes, not to mention the beat writers/daily wrap ups if you look hard enough 

Daboll also publicly admitted to approaching Kadarius about multiple roles so this isn’t top secret information … how it’ll be fully implemented has not and will not be shown in a preseason game (he would’ve played last night if it was regular season)

Ok great. I'm just having flashbacks of Rondale Moore of last season where everyone was up like this and that he's great get him the ball blah blah and he was Mediocre

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Grungejrrgv said:

Ok great. I'm just having flashbacks of Rondale Moore of last season where everyone was up like this and that he's great get him the ball blah blah and he was Mediocre

Kadarius Toney isn’t a rookie with Deandre Hopkins and Christian Kirk in his way … do yourself a favor and take Toney 

(also love Rondale this year with Hop suspended + Kirk + Edmonds out of the picture, but I digress)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Grungejrrgv said:

Ok great. I'm just having flashbacks of Rondale Moore of last season where everyone was up like this and that he's great get him the ball blah blah and he was Mediocre

Haha Rondale Moore 😂. He was getting some buzz but this is nowhere near a Moore situation. Toney has the ability to be an absolute game breaker. Rondale is just a run of the mill 3/4 WR. Toney pops off the screen like Tyreek Hill 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Footballguy99 said:

Haha Rondale Moore 😂. He was getting some buzz but this is nowhere near a Moore situation. Toney has the ability to be an absolute game breaker. Rondale is just a run of the mill 3/4 WR. Toney pops off the screen like Tyreek Hill 

I'm not questioning Toney's ability. The guy really does pop off the screen when he gets the ball and is noticeably quicker than anybody he's playing against. I question his ability to stay healthy, ESPECIALLY if they're giving him Deebo type touches. I will say though, at pick 100, as somebody mentioned above, you might as well go for him if you think he's going to pop. That's early 8th round and if he does stay healthy (I don't think he will) he has top-5 WR potential. At that ADP the juice is probably worth the squeeze. You're probably passing on...what...a 3rd tier qb or another 0 RB candidate at that point?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I'm not questioning Toney's ability. The guy really does pop off the screen when he gets the ball and is noticeably quicker than anybody he's playing against. I question his ability to stay healthy, ESPECIALLY if they're giving him Deebo type touches. I will say though, at pick 100, as somebody mentioned above, you might as well go for him if you think he's going to pop. That's early 8th round and if he does stay healthy (I don't think he will) he has top-5 WR potential. At that ADP the juice is probably worth the squeeze. You're probably passing on...what...a 3rd tier qb or another 0 RB candidate at that point?

Yea the injury risk is definitely there but I like you said the upside is so immense that I think around his ADP (Fantasy Pros has him late 90s, I’ve gotten him around the 100 pick in a few drafts) that he’s too hard to pass there. Going to be one hell of a fun ride if he can stay healthy though 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Footballguy99 said:

Yea the injury risk is definitely there but I like you said the upside is so immense that I think around his ADP (Fantasy Pros has him late 90s, I’ve gotten him around the 100 pick in a few drafts) that he’s too hard to pass there. Going to be one hell of a fun ride if he can stay healthy though 

nobody down in that area of the draft can even remotely sniff the potential target % this chucklehead is in line for. 

he was top 7 last year in that stat, as per adjusted metrics ... stoooopid good #s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pastor3 said:

nobody down in that area of the draft can even remotely sniff the potential target % this chucklehead is in line for. 

he was top 7 last year in that stat, as per adjusted metrics ... stoooopid good #s.

but that sample size was like...4 games due to injuries. That one stat kind of highlights both his pros and his cons.

Edited by yossarian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yossarian said:

but that sample size was like...4 games due to injuries. 

true, that's why i made sure to stipulate that it was adjusted metrics. 

now, what has changed to counter him getting heavy target volume again this year?

Shep on PUP (again)

Golladay still a yuuuuuge bucket of slop.  

Engram gone to Jax.  

no other vets signed, and the kid Robinson they drafted is a nice player, but not gonna threaten for top dawg. 

with the coaching change, o-line upgrade (hey, they had nowhere to go but UP), he's actually in a much better situation than last year, to boot. 

it's the injury concern - that's all that's dropping him down to rds 8/9. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, yossarian said:

but that sample size was like...4 games due to injuries. That one stat kind of highlights both his pros and his cons.

Kupp, Davante Adams, AJ Brown ... these are the WRs, as a rookie, that Toney was on par with per route run. in an offense that didn't even know how to use him ... he also graded as the #1 most elusive WR in the NFL. 

An ADP currently in the 9th/10th round of 12 team leagues ... as the 41st WR being selected, with the talent and legitimate upside to produce on par with the WRs going in the 3-5th round. 

in this small sample size, he demonstrated a truly elite ability to not only get open, but draw targets, and then when he caught them, made people miss at a higher rate than any WR in the league. 

oh, and now he's got a coaching staff intent on not only featuring him, but designing the passing game to cater to his strengths. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

That settles it for me. If he's on pdog's team his leg is going to fall off on the opening kickoff of the first game of the season. I'm out. 

It’s not too late to ask pdog to drop him - for the sake of all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

That settles it for me. If he's on pdog's team his leg is going to fall off on the opening kickoff of the first game of the season. I'm out. 

tbh, chances are that might happen regardless 

😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but Toney's injury history needs to be looked at pretty closely. Ignoring the thumb injury (helmet smashed into his hand), he had quite the range of issues.

Ankle sprain and reaggravation. This isn't complicated, one can reasonably infer the Giants' medical staff messed up on this one and he came back too soon.

Leg quad strain

Oblique strain

Hamstring strain (preseason '21)

Preseason '22 - unclear

There's nothing from his college injury history that would have suggested any of this. He injured a shoulder, but that's a fairly normal football injury.  I'm also not going to conclude that "all his muscles are bad."

While I don't have an answer, I think we should not lose sight of the fact that last year's lead-up to the season still was not a normal one. COVID limitations were still in place.  LIkewise, Toney missed a big chunk of training camp '21 with COVID.  In total, I wonder if his season last year was impacted by a lack of fitness/preparedness, as opposed to inherent injury risk. Of course, it's eminently possible that lack of fitness/preparedness could be an issue in the future, too;.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...