Jump to content

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook


Recommended Posts

The trade threat makes me wonder.  Usually a player gets discounted 2-3 rounds from his original draft price when he's traded within one year of being drafted. But the Giants overdrafted him by 2-3 rounds as well... so I guess he's now priced at between a 5th rounder and a 7th rounder??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

The trade threat makes me wonder.  Usually a player gets discounted 2-3 rounds from his original draft price when he's traded within one year of being drafted. But the Giants overdrafted him by 2-3 rounds as well... so I guess he's now priced at between a 5th rounder and a 7th rounder??

I don't think it's a simple math calculation. He has huge talent but has concerning off field issues. I like his talent but I don't think he's worth anything more than a 4th or 5th because of all the smoke and his injury riddled rookie season. Giving him away for a fourth was an impossible sell after he showed up for "voluntary" camp afterall. I wouldn't be shocked if the trade buzz was more of a kick in the a** to teach him who's in charge of his career for the time being.

Edited by Spyplane
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-kadarius-toney-knee-surgery-20220521-bau3gxm2hjht5jfubxvqksqgsi-story.html

Giants wide receiver Kadarius Toney had a minor arthroscopic knee procedure, sources say, which is why he’s been in a red jersey on the side at spring OTA practices.

But he is expected to be fine and ready for training camp.

Toney, 23, was on his feet on the sidelines at Thursday’s open practice. He caught some balls off the JUGS machine before practice with fellow rehabbing wideout Sterling Shepard (Achilles).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Still scratching my head about what the heck the Giants are doing at WR two years in a row. Last year they  overreach on Toney and this year they WAY, WAY overreach on Robinson.  That's two years in a row they've left plausible future, legit WR1/WR2s on the board grasping for a problematic WR in the 1st and 2nd round respectively, all be it problematic for different reasons. In Robinson's case, hes way undersized and I just don't think he offers enough overall relative to guys drafted after him. Meaning they might have even been able to get him a pick or so later and come with a higher end WR prospect, like Pickens or Metchie  or if gonna go smaller, Skyy Moore. And in Toney's case well, last year speaks for itself. A guy like Marshall Jr. or Moore would probably do well with this team.

Beyond frustrating as a Giants fan.  Not helping Jones in that regard. At least they got a good OT and DE in the 1st this year. 

Well, at least Toney has the talent to really succeed if he can stay healthy and focused.  I'd say he stands a chance to be productive because I'm not sure how much pressure Robinson will put on him this year.  His college career is hard to read, basically nothing in Nebraska and then a great year at Kentucky.  All though guess he could give Slayton and Shepherd a run for the WR 3 spot. Or WR2, depending on how they use Toney.  But if Toney goes too high, I think I'd rather just gamble on Robinson or Shepherd.

Meh. Maybe Wan'Dale will shock me. But his ADP should be low enough where he could provide value  I'd take a shot at Toney, just not until like rounds 9-12, depending on league size.

Edited by brakeyawself
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, Boudewijn said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-kadarius-toney-knee-surgery-20220521-bau3gxm2hjht5jfubxvqksqgsi-story.html

Giants wide receiver Kadarius Toney had a minor arthroscopic knee procedure, sources say, which is why he’s been in a red jersey on the side at spring OTA practices.

But he is expected to be fine and ready for training camp.

Toney, 23, was on his feet on the sidelines at Thursday’s open practice. He caught some balls off the JUGS machine before practice with fellow rehabbing wideout Sterling Shepard (Achilles).

He's 23 and is already getting scoped. Not a good omen for the season ahead of him with a new coaching staff and a QB who might be already totally ruined by Giants incompetence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Daboll is going to unleash this kids freakish talents. 

In the film room? Can't be a reference to something on his feet. He has trouble staying on his feet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

In the film room? Can't be a reference to something on his feet. He has trouble staying on his feet.

He will be healthy and used the right way under Daboll....

Judge was a disgrace

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

He will be healthy and used the right way under Daboll....

Judge was a disgrace

You understand of course that the problem with Toney was Toney, right? And possibly still is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

He will be healthy and used the right way under Daboll....

Judge was a disgrace

What's this have to do with his ability to stay healthy? He was young and fresh last season and couldn't do it. Now he's just had his knee scoped, which is not a good sign of things to come.

Young receiver with amazing talents who was derailed due to his inability to stay on the field. We've seen this story play out time and time again.

I don't think anyone doubts his abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, Spyplane said:

He's 23 and is already getting scoped. Not a good omen for the season ahead of him with a new coaching staff and a QB who might be already totally ruined by Giants incompetence.

Looks like he needed a clean-up? Wonder if he had a torn meniscus and they removed the mess (aka "clean-up"). He'll be ok initially here but watch out for swelling and potential time missed. Not good long term though for his knee but the clean-up rehab is short at 4-6 weeks compared to a full repair which is 6+ months (see Irv Smith). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

You understand of course that the problem with Toney was Toney, right? And possibly still is.

To some degree but him being hurt frequently is way more of a problem. I'll still take a shot at him because he's in a way offensive scheme and can win weeks by himself

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Looks like he needed a clean-up? Wonder if he had a torn meniscus and they removed the mess (aka "clean-up"). He'll be ok initially here but watch out for swelling and potential time missed. Not good long term though for his knee but the clean-up rehab is short at 4-6 weeks compared to a full repair which is 6+ months (see Irv Smith). 

I'm unconcerned about the short term (now through August) but when guys start getting scope that's not usually the end. That's the beginning and he hasn't shown himself to be durable or mentally resilient for that matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, Spyplane said:

I'm unconcerned about the short term (now through August) but when guys start getting scope that's not usually the end. That's the beginning and he hasn't shown himself to be durable or mentally resilient for that matter.

nonsense. getting a knee-scope is like getting the plaque removed from your teeth. what could go wrong?

edc8f0b5a81cd112b4cb5c0b8dab1c4d_w200.gi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

nonsense. getting a knee-scope is like getting the plaque removed from your teeth. what could go wrong?

edc8f0b5a81cd112b4cb5c0b8dab1c4d_w200.gi

Removing calcified plaque from teeth is so satisfying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

nonsense. getting a knee-scope is like getting the plaque removed from your teeth. what could go wrong?

 

Well, except it is not. Getting plaque removed is a good thing as your body doesn't need it and it can cause long term problems. Getting meniscus removed is not a good thing as that is something your knee needs. It helps short term to clean up all the loose particles but not having all your meniscus can cause continued knee swelling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

like getting the plaque removed from your teeth. what could go wrong?

 

3 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Well, except it is not.

Something tells me old Sacksy knows this fully well ;)

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ef1d2df13863b1b35

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Talent is clearly evident, first round pick, super twitchy and elusive with the ball in his hands, commanded a high target share right away even when playing with Galloday and engram. The only reason he’s going this low is because he got hurt and off season rumors which seem to be more smoke then substance. 
 

KT is one of those guys i want on all of my teams, the upside to cost ratio is as good as it gets. I trust daboll to get the most out of him with his playcalling. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, allrise24 said:

Talent is clearly evident, first round pick, super twitchy and elusive with the ball in his hands, commanded a high target share right away even when playing with Galloday and engram. The only reason he’s going this low is because he got hurt and off season rumors which seem to be more smoke then substance. 
 

KT is one of those guys i want on all of my teams, the upside to cost ratio is as good as it gets. I trust daboll to get the most out of him with his playcalling. 

He is going low also because they drafted Wandale who is similar to Toney

I’m torn on him. For me a lot hinges on how much time Sterling misses 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, affliction said:

He is going low also because they drafted Wandale who is similar to Toney

Similar skillset, but Toney is 4 inches/10 pounds bigger, and Robinson seems at least 40 IQ points smarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, affliction said:

He is going low also because they drafted Wandale who is similar to Toney

I’m torn on him. For me a lot hinges on how much time Sterling misses 

I’m betting on the first round pick going into year 2 which recently has been the biggest statistical jump for wide receivers who already has rapport with the qb. Wandale will be eased in and shouldn’t be a serious threat to toneys upside 

Edited by allrise24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...