NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook

TTo34

On 9/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Someone please explain to me what the “risk” is in taking this guy at his current ADP?

Hes going in the 9/10th round of 12 team PPR leagues … Not many guys available then that have the ability to produce on par with Moore/McLaurin/Thomas/Metcalf when active 

I see 0 risk whatsoever in using a 9th round pick on him … it’s a no brainer 

There is still some old reliables and gold in these rounds. Toney is a great ‘shoot for the moon and hope for the sky’ candidate. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Someone please explain to me what the “risk” is in taking this guy at his current ADP?

Hes going in the 9/10th round of 12 team PPR leagues … Not many guys available then that have the ability to produce on par with Moore/McLaurin/Thomas/Metcalf when active 

I see 0 risk whatsoever in using a 9th round pick on him … it’s a no brainer 

I think for me the biggest risk is the in game injury risk that comes with a guy like this who “appears” to be quite injury prone. I know some believe there’s no such thing as injury prone, but I do and I think he might be in the top 5 of least durable players in the NFL. There’s also the issue of rostering someone who’s constantly popping up on the injury report, especially if your league doesn’t have IR spots. We all know his upside is very high so there’s also a fear of dropping someone like this.

To recap, here’s a list of his ailments last year: hamstring injury, Covid, ankle injury, thumb injury, quad injury, Covid again, oblique injury, and a shoulder injury. Plus, frankly the dude seems like a bit of a knucklehead. I have some exposure in some best balls, but I don’t think he’s zero risk in redrafts without IR spots. I’m pretty sure he gave at least two Rotoworld blurb writers carpal tunnel syndrome from all the blurbs that they had to write to cover his issues.

• Like 1

Toney has otherworldly abilities but it’s not surprising considering he looks like an extraterrestrial. I think when it’s all said and done he’s going to jump out of his skin suit and we’ll all finally know how he was capable of the things he was.

And he’s got that Dennis Rodman type of dog mentality in him. He might not be winning any prestigious awards in his lifetime due to intellect, but that boy makes up for it with grit and heart. There’s going to be a lot of people kicking themselves for whiffing on him this year and then next year everyone will just act like they never doubted him and he’ll be getting drafted in the top 3 rounds. Although he’ll be just as susceptible to injury then as he is now. 

But some folks insist on learning the hard way 🤷‍♂️. This will be a very entertaining season. I have the worst case of blue balls waiting for regular season kick off 🥶

19 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think for me the biggest risk is the in game injury risk that comes with a guy like this who “appears” to be quite injury prone. I know some believe there’s no such thing as injury prone, but I do and I think he might be in the top 5 of least durable players in the NFL. There’s also the issue of rostering someone who’s constantly popping up on the injury report, especially if your league doesn’t have IR spots. We all know his upside is very high so there’s also a fear of dropping someone like this.

To recap, here’s a list of his ailments last year: hamstring injury, Covid, ankle injury, thumb injury, quad injury, Covid again, oblique injury, and a shoulder injury. Plus, frankly the dude seems like a bit of a knucklehead. I have some exposure in some best balls, but I don’t think he’s zero risk in redrafts without IR spots. I’m pretty sure he gave at least two Rotoworld blurb writers carpal tunnel syndrome from all the blurbs that they had to write to cover his issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a fair share of him, but this is exactly it. Not to mention just burning a roster spot on him all year waiting for him to get through a game healthy. With these nagging type injuries, I usually feel like I have to see him get through a game looking good and staying healthy before I feel like I could start him. But of course the next one is probably the game he leaves early. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Perspective:

Among all athletes, Kadarius Toney measurables:

40 yard dash: 96th percentile 

Broad Jump: 99th percentile 

Vert: 94th percentile 

with 10/20 yard splits nearly identical to Tyreek Hill

Daboll (BUF), Kafka (KC) now calling the plays for this guy … but yeah enjoy those higher upside players in the 9th round 

I'll ask again.  Where do you have him ranked among WRs?  Who is he above and below?

I don't have a problem with having a hard on for a player, but it's really not meaningful if he's a WR4 on your draft board.  Disingenuous, frankly.

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

I'll ask again.  Where do you have him ranked among WRs?  Who is he above and below?

I don't have a problem with having a hard on for a player, but it's really not meaningful if he's a WR4 on your draft board.  Disingenuous, frankly.

I use “tiers”, and Kadarius is in my WR2 tier 

I see no reason he can’t produce on par with Diontae Johnson/McLaurin/Cooks types

3/4th round production for half the cost … but he might get hurt 

• Thanks 1

I was able to take him in the 10th of 15 rounds as a WR4 (which is all I draft) in a 12-team dynasty. He was easily the most talented player left there. I can afford to be patient and the injury news is finally looking up.

You're taking a lot of risk drafting him as a WR3 or higher, but as said many times already - the ADP makes him an easy pickup. I'd imagine most owners have taken 3 by then anyway. As cheap as he is the risk is low.

The next time he's healthy for a long period of time will be the first time, so maybe this is the year. Worth a shot.

29 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I use “tiers”, and Kadarius is in my WR2 tier 

I see no reason he can’t produce on par with Diontae Johnson/McLaurin/Cooks types

3/4th round production for half the cost … but he might get hurt 

Well, on one hand, you are putting your money where your mouth is.  I respect that.

I have to know though...are you really going to draft Toney over Diontae, McLaurin, or Brandin Cooks?

16 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Well, on one hand, you are putting your money where your mouth is.  I respect that.

I have to know though...are you really going to draft Toney over Diontae, McLaurin, or Brandin Cooks?

No, I’m going to select AJ Dillon or Justin Herbert or Kyle Pitts and then Toney 3-4 rounds later … because I know I don’t have to take Toney in the 3/4th round 

It’s kinda the beauty of it all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

No, I’m going to select AJ Dillon or Justin Herbert or Kyle Pitts and then Toney 3-4 rounds later … because I know I don’t have to take Toney in the 3/4th round 

It’s kinda the beauty of it all. 

I've yet to see Toney go before the 5th and many times he fell rounds later, of the 5 money drafts I've done so far.

Went undrafted in m 10 team PPR league, I missed him during the draft. Picked him up for free, no risk potentially great reward. Health is an issue but his potential is enormous in a Brian Daboll offense.

Somehow the entire fantasy expert scene, both mainstream and on Youtube are completely ignoring this guy. I don't understand it. He is literally not talked bout in any sense. It's like he does not even exist, at least that's my impression.

37 minutes ago, samco357 said:

Went undrafted in m 10 team PPR league, I missed him during the draft. Picked him up for free, no risk potentially great reward. Health is an issue but his potential is enormous in a Brian Daboll offense.

Somehow the entire fantasy expert scene, both mainstream and on Youtube are completely ignoring this guy. I don't understand it. He is literally not talked bout in any sense. It's like he does not even exist, at least that's my impression.

He is 69% owned in yahoo (BTW, the new player cards on yahoo are terrible). Expect that number to jump by 31% after week 1 though.

Edited by pdog109
  • Like 2