NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook

TTo34

Just now, Pastor3 said:

heard rumblings of Slayton being moved ... but i don't see how they can, given the shape of this "room"

was surprised Ty Johnson wasn't given a look see 🤷‍♂️

Heard that too but I don’t understand why. Physically Slayton has decent size & speed. Maybe mentally he just can’t figure out the new offense? 

• Thanks 1

Take this however you want

If it made any sense financially, Kenny Golladay would not be on the roster right now. He will, 100% guaranteed, be off this roster as soon as it makes sense from a cap perspective

This recent “procedure” coincides with what the underlings have been saying behind the scenes - this new regime / med staff have genuine concerns of Golladay ever returning to form from a health perspective. Spoiler: He isn’t. His route running / ability to separate has been nothing short of embarrassing all summer.

Heres the fun part: Ownership and this new regime are thinking long term. The previous regimes players/contracts mean absolutely nothing and they have full discretion to play who they see fit. Golladay’s contract guaranteed him nothing other than a roster spot due to dead cap. Before Collin Johnson’s unfortunate injury - he was already stealing Golladay reps. Collin Johnson / David Sills (a bestie of Daniel Jones with ties to Buffalo staff as well) were on the verge of stealing a significant portion of Golladay’s snaps … to a point where Golladay was actually being tried at TE to get him on the field in camp. 

Short version: Kadarius Toney is, and always has been, the focal point of the passing game. Wandale wasn’t chosen to replace him, it was to eventually take over Shepard’s job - nor was Toney ever being shopped. 

If the regular season, Toney would’ve played preseason week 2. He was back full speed prior to preseason week 3 - the starters didn’t play (just Golladay and Wandale for rookie reps) so he sat. Talk of him not being ready for week 1 is nothing other than smoke and mirrors. Toney is fully healthy and will be option 1B to Barkley in this offense.

Shepard has been the curveball, but that is going to impact Wandale / Golladay a lot more than Toney, Buffalo and KC were interested in Kadarius last year in the draft .. guess where the new HC, GM and OC come from? 

Shorter version: Get Kadarius Toney, the closest thing you’ll find to a Deebo Samuel breakout this year for dirt cheap and stop complaining. “Handcuff” with Wandale if you’re in a 12+ team league and rest easy … if you’re in a keeper, get Wandale on your rosters asap

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Take this however you want

If it made any sense financially, Kenny Golladay would not be on the roster right now. He will, 100% guaranteed, be off this roster as soon as it makes sense from a cap perspective

This recent “procedure” coincides with what the underlings have been saying behind the scenes - this new regime / med staff have genuine concerns of Golladay ever returning to form from a health perspective. Spoiler: He isn’t. His route running / ability to separate has been nothing short of embarrassing all summer.

Heres the fun part: Ownership and this new regime are thinking long term. The previous regimes players/contracts mean absolutely nothing and they have full discretion to play who they see fit. Golladay’s contract guaranteed him nothing other than a roster spot due to dead cap. Before Collin Johnson’s unfortunate injury - he was already stealing Golladay reps. Collin Johnson / David Sills (a bestie of Daniel Jones with ties to Buffalo staff as well) were on the verge of stealing a significant portion of Golladay’s snaps … to a point where Golladay was actually being tried at TE to get him on the field in camp. 

Short version: Kadarius Toney is, and always has been, the focal point of the passing game. Wandale wasn’t chosen to replace him, it was to eventually take over Shepard’s job - nor was Toney ever being shopped. 

If the regular season, Toney would’ve played preseason week 2. He was back full speed prior to preseason week 3 - the starters didn’t play (just Golladay and Wandale for rookie reps) so he sat. Talk of him not being ready for week 1 is nothing other than smoke and mirrors. Toney is fully healthy and will be option 1B to Barkley in this offense.

Shepard has been the curveball, but that is going to impact Wandale / Golladay a lot more than Toney, Buffalo and KC were interested in Kadarius last year in the draft .. guess where the new HC, GM and OC come from? 

Shorter version: Get Kadarius Toney, the closest thing you’ll find to a Deebo Samuel breakout this year for dirt cheap and stop complaining. “Handcuff” with Wandale if you’re in a 12+ team league and rest easy … if you’re in a keeper, get Wandale on your rosters asap

Choo Choo Baby!  The Toney Train is about to take off for the Da Moon!!

• Like 1

Need more?

Giants schedule last year was brutal in terms of opponents and their respective defenses (top 10 pass defenses)

This year? #2 easiest schedule in the NFL, 4th easiest among pass defenses 

Can things change? Sure. Bottom line is this team will be facing a cake walk of defenses when compared to last year 

You’re welcome 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Need more?

Giants schedule last year was brutal in terms of opponents and their respective defenses (top 10 pass defenses)

This year? #2 easiest schedule in the NFL, 4th easiest among pass defenses 

Can things change? Sure. Bottom line is this team will be facing a cake walk of defenses when compared to last year 

You’re welcome 

I like hearing this.  Next stop Da Moon!

Instead of investing in Toney I decided to invest in Wan'Dale and hope that either Toney stays healthy and opens up the field or Toney eventually gets hurt and Wan'Dale soaks up the targets. I want to get Toney on at least one of my teams but the litany of injuries has me a little spooked.

1 hour ago, kball09 said:

Instead of investing in Toney I decided to invest in Wan'Dale and hope that either Toney stays healthy and opens up the field or Toney eventually gets hurt and Wan'Dale soaks up the targets. I want to get Toney on at least one of my teams but the litany of injuries has me a little spooked.

Bad bad choice.

6 hours ago, Pastor3 said:

the optics of those dweebs pointing their recorders at him ... oooffff 😂

< bread and circusses >

indeed. 

Does his sweatshirt say "stay loyal or get finessed"? What does that mean? Is getting finessed a bad thing? 

also why is reporters pointing recording devices at an athlete their interviewing a bad thing? What am i missing here?

Someone please explain to me what the “risk” is in taking this guy at his current ADP?

Hes going in the 9/10th round of 12 team PPR leagues … Not many guys available then that have the ability to produce on par with Moore/McLaurin/Thomas/Metcalf when active 

I see 0 risk whatsoever in using a 9th round pick on him … it’s a no brainer 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Someone please explain to me what the “risk” is in taking this guy at his current ADP?

Hes going in the 9/10th round of 12 team PPR leagues … Not many guys available then that have the ability to produce on par with Moore/McLaurin/Thomas/Metcalf when active 

Yeah I was getting him around picks 109-122 in most of my drafts.

15 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

There isn't any. People act like they are regularly hitting startsble players, let alone guys with Toneys upside, in the 9th. Many 9th round picks will be dropped after week 1 or 2 

• Like 1

Perspective:

Among all athletes, Kadarius Toney measurables:

40 yard dash: 96th percentile 

Broad Jump: 99th percentile 

Vert: 94th percentile 

with 10/20 yard splits nearly identical to Tyreek Hill

Daboll (BUF), Kafka (KC) now calling the plays for this guy … but yeah enjoy those higher upside players in the 9th round 

• Like 1

Only real concern is Daniel Jones.  Through his 3 year career, he averages about 1 TD pass per game, which could definitely limit the upside.

But Toney's measurables, combined with a wide open path the lead the team in targets, on a team that will have to throw, all combined with his price, makes him an easy lotto ticket to root for, and draft without concern.

• Like 1

Jones has been lights out in camp recently and looked great this preseason, incorporating a lot of RPO and concepts from his college days (what a concept, catering to a player’s strengths as a coaching staff)

Before the wheels fell off this offense, Jones was having an excellent 2021 … like, elite (2nd highest passing grade, 1st rushing grade) among QBs in the first month of the season. The underlying metrics were actually incredible and Jones has always graded as 1 of the best deep ball passers in the league since he’s been drafted, on top of hitting the fastest timed speed among QBs when running (insert eagles trip here, we know). 

Jones was on pace for 5000 yards passing last year before everything crumbled around him. 

No, I’m not saying Jones is a top 3 NFL QB. What I am saying is he is not a liability nor someone that will inhibit the Giants offense from reaching its potential - if the offense can actually stay on the field together.

Obviously big IFs, but if Toney & Jones play a full season I think Toney is a lock for top 20 WR and Jones top 10 QB - with upside. The schedule is a cake walk as well.

Words can not describe how inept this staff was last year, not only in terms of game planning but also in-game management. Disgraceful, predictable, and then every body around him got injured.

Improved OL, brilliant offensive minds, breezy schedule. The upside (and near risk free cost) is a no brainer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Jones has been lights out in camp recently and looked great this preseason, incorporating a lot of RPO and concepts from his college days (what a concept, catering to a player’s strengths as a coaching staff)

Before the wheels fell off this offense, Jones was having an excellent 2021 … like, elite (2nd highest passing grade, 1st rushing grade) among QBs in the first month of the season. The underlying metrics were actually incredible and Jones has always graded as 1 of the best deep ball passers in the league since he’s been drafted, on top of hitting the fastest timed speed among QBs when running (insert eagles trip here, we know). 

Jones was on pace for 5000 yards passing last year before everything crumbled around him. 

No, I’m not saying Jones is a top 3 NFL QB. What I am saying is he is not a liability nor someone that will inhibit the Giants offense from reaching its potential - if the offense can actually stay on the field together.

Obviously big IFs, but if Toney & Jones play a full season I think Toney is a lock for top 20 WR and Jones top 10 QB - with upside. The schedule is a cake walk as well.

Words can not describe how inept this staff was last year, not only in terms of game planning but also in-game management. Disgraceful, predictable, and then every body around him got injured.

Improved OL, brilliant offensive minds, breezy schedule. The upside (and near risk free cost) is a no brainer.

Yeah Danny Dimes is playing for a contract too after NYG didn't pick up his 5th year option.