Kadarius Toney 2022 Outlook

This could just be Toney's fault I guess, but a new regime coming in and immediately looking to ship out a first rounder is not something that fills me with confidence.  

Maybe they just took the Brandon Beane playbook and this is the closest they can get to trading Sammy Watkins?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianM said:

This could just be Toney's fault I guess

He seems rather high maintenance, yes. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/kadarius-toney-early-offseason-absence-194800131.html

Second-year wide receiver Kadarius Toney has not reported to the Giants’ facility yet this month, including for this week’s voluntary minicamp. So Toney still doesn’t have new coach Brian Daboll’s playbook.

Toney’s commitment came into question behind the scenes during his rookie year, from lack of playbook study to poor meeting behavior to frequent injuries.

This is not a good start to Year 2.

==============

Having said that, maybe they're just trying to shake him up a bit, send him the message he's not indispensable?

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

we'll always have the 10/189 game that nobody started him for

Well I don’t mean to brag but I started him and lost that week by about 3 points.. ya I kno I’m cool 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Having said that, maybe they're just trying to shake him up a bit, send him the message he's not indispensable?

If that's the game plan, can't fault the coach at all.  Star players can spout off or bend rules, but Toney's far from that.   At first I was wondering if they're coming in all Tom Coughlin-y, but there's nothing bad about addressing that level of BS from a player.   

• Like 2

Most recently, Toney has skipped out on the Giants’ voluntary workouts — the most notable absentee and only one of five.

In another Instagram post shared to his story on Friday, Toney wrote, “you gone hurt yo own damn feelings tryna hurt mine, idgaf about nothing.”

at least he spelled idgaf right

3 hours ago, rocklandrew said:

Most recently, Toney has skipped out on the Giants’ voluntary workouts — the most notable absentee and only one of five.

In another Instagram post shared to his story on Friday, Toney wrote, “you gone hurt yo own damn feelings tryna hurt mine, idgaf about nothing.”

at least he spelled idgaf right

I'm sure I can go look up my posts from last year on this guy but in summary: Oozing with talent - not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

As for the diva comment above - 100% true but there is something more with this guy and not in a good way. 

It looks like the NYG want out ASAP on him - he can be someone else's problem.

Let's call it like it is. If everyone were to keep 100%

The NFL needs to stop calling voluntary workouts "voluntary" if some clubs are going to consider them mandatory. Technically, KT did nothing wrong by exercising his right to not attend "voluntary workouts." I wouldn't come in here in insult his intelligence or call him a diva or label him as a problem player because of it.

NYG were never going to trade this guy. The new staff was bluffing from the beginning. They were paper tigers threatening a receiver with a trade in order to get him into the building. Which is why you also heard rumblings through the media that it would take something significant from another team for them to move him. What team was going to offer something significant for a second year WR who has 39 receptions for 420 yards to his name (189 of which came from 1 game)? Especially, considering that WR prospects are deep in this years draft.

Nothing that is voluntary is ever truly voluntary. It looks bad to not show up. Just like voluntary work-related tasks in your 9-5 jobs. If you decide to skip out on something, without a legitimate excuse, for something everyone else is attending then it looks bad for you.

People are returning to offices now and it doesn't look good if for some reason your entire team is back in the office voluntarily, but you or someone else is not.

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

Nothing that is voluntary is ever truly voluntary. It looks bad to not show up. Just like voluntary work-related tasks in your 9-5 jobs. If you decide to skip out on something, without a legitimate excuse, for something everyone else is attending then it looks bad for you.

People are returning to offices now and it doesn't look good if for some reason your entire team is back in the office voluntarily, but you or someone else is not.

Which highlights the point that I was making in saying lets stop calling it voluntary if it truly isn't. 

Its voluntary, but if you don't show up it is going to reflect badly on you. As adults, that is just silly.

And what is even sillier is a toothless threat of a trade for not showing up.

Edited by rmccaul3

it's pretty clear by his comments and actions that he isn't 100% committed to his craft.  If he was, he'd be learning the new playbook, trying to have a season or two that would land him a 100+ million dollar contract.  Instead he's crafting 'gram stories, butchering the language.  I'd love to get my hands on some finished drafts from his days acing Florida State creative writing classes. 

New gm, new coach.  I think there's fire behind the smoke and they're hoping to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  but where?

KC and GB look like perfect fits on paper:  lots of draft picks to trade, need at wr, have all their money locked into their qbs, who could get a lot of production out of Toney on a rookie contract.  They're probably at the top of the list when it comes to selling accountability to their fans though, so maybe they're out. 

Bears don't have the draft picks. 

Belichick probably won't want to give up his limited picks in the supposed sweet spot in this draft, but given his track record drafting wr's he probably should think about it.  If Toney doesn't like showing up on time for practices or meetings though, Bill's probably out.  But please make this happen so we can get some hardknocks audio/video of Joe Judge dishing wisdom to old mates Toney and Malcolm Butler - yes!

Browns don't have a lot of draft capital, but nothings more old school rocknroll than groupies, fighting in hotel lobbies, and not giving a fack, so Haslem must be drooling over visions of a holy trinity of Watson, Hunt, Toney. 

Snyder's probably sulking about losing the Watson sweepstakes, ( and maybe he's just too busy coming up with new ways to squeeze nickels off his fans and fellow owners), but maybe his wife will pull the trigger on a deal to commander some talent into Washington.

Jets brass are desperate to make their drafting of Wilson not be the death knell of their careers so this would be another great desperate reach for a horrible franchise.

Matt Ryan might only be accurate to 20 yds (from him) which would make a run after catch wr like Toney a big asset in Indianapolis.

Titans are thin at wr.

49ers could trade Deebo for Toney, freeing up cap space (28 mil or so on a backup qb - yikes).

Toney would help make Trubiscuits look good in Pitt; - and they have a long rich tradition of knucklehead receivers in the 'burg, so why not

Lions always need help.  but does Toney care enough to bite kneecaps?  not likely.

Jacksonville may be regretting selling the farm in free agency, seems like he'd be a natural fit in Disfunctionville.

Never count Jerrah out when it comes to signing wr talent.

Cards need to win now or things are going to blow up (if it's not too late already).  They look weak at wr for a coach who came up with the run and shoot.

personal prediction:  seems like a perfect Jet.   after that, even odds on Pittsburgh, KC, Az.  darkhorse;  Jerrah!!!

4 hours ago, rmccaul3 said:

Which highlights the point that I was making in saying lets stop calling it voluntary if it truly isn't. 

Its voluntary, but if you don't show up it is going to reflect badly on you. As adults, that is just silly.

And what is even sillier is a toothless threat of a trade for not showing up.

This voluntary stuff is just a very small part of the bigger problem. I don't disagree with the voluntary stuff you mentioned other than teams expect you to attend.

All that aside the trade rumours and NYG "unhappiness" with him is due to his character and all the crap that is going on behind the scenes. 

When there are issues, even a new little one like "voluntary" practice can break the camels back. This was just the tip of the iceberg.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:52 PM, TTo34 said:

Kadarius Toney

6dixeo.jpg

New York Giants

7e1e764b5f376d01a704b050e3cc92a6.gif

After all his injury problems last season and only having one phenomenal game an one or two good games this was a crazy ask. Especially when he's a sophomore in a new system and didn't want to show up to non-mandatory camp days. He hasn't earned the right to rest on his laurels. He has no laurels. 

Giants take another WR in the draft in Wan'Dale Robinson. I assume WDR will eventually play the slot but unsure what the long term plan is. SS tore his achillies so I assume the slot is open. Toney and Golladay on the outside makes the most sense but then there is also Slayton.

I'll take a later shot on Toney if his ADP slips - he just needs to stay healthy. We saw what Toney can do if he's given the targets. At some point the problems and issues could drop Toney to a point where he is worth the risk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Giants take another WR in the draft in Wan'Dale Robinson.

I was pretty high on him before the draft but the Giants right now is a bad landing spot.

In any case, since this is the Kadarius Toney topic, WDR should help him, if he hits. Having a good slot should open things up for Toney... But it's still Daniel Jones at QB and it's still the Giants.