NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Daniel Espino - SP CLE

Blood Brother

Surprised there wasn't a thread on him already tbh. Most top 100 lists have him around the 40-60 range but he could quickly find himself top 20 by midseason or this time next year.

In fact, Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs has already aggressively moved him up to #10 overall just the other day on THE BOARD. He's got him right ahead of Shane Baz now after his latest live look at him this spring.  He threw out some lofty comps with what he saw from Espino

On Saturday in Goodyear, I saw some of the most impressive stuff I’ve ever seen from a pitching prospect rocketing out of the hand of Espino, a 21-year-old Cleveland righty. In terms of my own in-person looks, his stuff over about three innings of work in a minor league spring game against Cincinnati — the Reds’ list will be next out the door here, by the way — ranked up there in sheer power and dominance with what I saw from Gerrit Cole in the 2011 Fall League, Stephen Strasburg’s first home start at Double-A Harrisburg (which was so heavily attended that the stadium sold out of food and suffered a brownout), and (hesitates to type the following) a Jacob deGrom start in Arizona last year. It was ridiculous enough that I felt compelled to move Espino up on the Top 100 — more on where and why in a minute — and write about him immediately.

Edited by Blood Brother
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It bears repeating. Longenhagen’s new comps for this guy, in order: Unicorns, Cole, Strasburg, deGrom. He threw a 70 rating on his current slider, in case anyone was wondering about those questionable secondary offerings.

There’s also some stuff in there about maturity in training and approach that gives Eric confidence in the kid’s ability to sustain velocity and health over time. Thank you @Blood Brother for this timely link and tweet. Where once I had no shares, now I have few, and soon I will have many.

I’m definitely feeling it with the “quiet in here, too quiet” crowd. Sometimes I worry we’re all probably over fifty. But clicking around these forums helps me win money. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Generating a ton of buzz this spring. Some more high praise for him in Jeff Passan's recent ESPN article as well as Baseball America. Dodgers RHP Bobby Miller also generating a lot of hype. Good time to target both these arms

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StartYourStuds said:

Must have got into trouble in the 5th.. 4.2 innings thrown 

Nope, 2 ground outs in the fifth and pulled at 70 pitches. He only walked one batter in a single inning. In the 3rd he made four outs as the catcher couldn’t handle a strikeout pitch. 🤣. And of course there were zero hits. MONSTER 📈📈📈

Edited by tucker26

Yeah he got 2 quick outs in the 5th but I guess 70 pitches is about where they have him stretched out to right now. No real surprise to see teams treating their young arms with kid gloves, especially early in the season

We’re at a point where we think Espino is a unicorn of sorts and we moved him into 60 FV tier based on how he’s looked this spring. His stuff is comfortably better than Jack Leiter’s, as is his command, and he’s further along the minor league ladder. His velocity and track record of health are better than those of recent No. 1 pick Casey Mize. In a typical draft, a college pitcher like Espino would be the heavy, heavy favorite to go first overall. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cleveland-guardians-top-48-prospects-2022/

On 5/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, tucker26 said:

Up to 21st overall from 52nd on BA updated list. Biggest riser. (Eury is 43rd for those keeping score at home and that think it's a competition) 🤣

Well Eury is two years younger at the same level… 

• Like 1