NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Akers 2022 Outlook

IlliniGuy76

9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If Akers were clearly, definitively recovered from the Achilles and any new injuries I think he would be the the guy and Henderson would be a more change of pace type.

But I am not sure if that is the case.

i guarantee no Akers owner is comfy.

Achilles recovery history is not good.

inability to practice at full strength is a bad sign. James Robinson is practicing and people don’t really think he will do much of anything.

id invest heavily in Henderson and Kyren William. Kyren specifically because McVay seems to not trust Henderson for some reason. Maybe his inability to stay healthy as well. 

I don’t think you will be wrong all that often betting against RBs coming back from Achilles injuries. 

I feel like before this offseason people mostly said, "RBs cannot recover from Achilles tears."  And I would say, "well, it serves to reason that eventually they will.  Previously it seemed like there were lots of injuries that players had that they couldn't recover from."

Now it seems like Cam Akers and James Robinson people are like, "they already HAVE recovered from an Achilles tear" and I'm like "wait, we haven't proven that either."  🤣

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

i guarantee no Akers owner is comfy.

Achilles recovery history is not good.

inability to practice at full strength is a bad sign. James Robinson is practicing and people don’t really think he will do much of anything.

id invest heavily in Henderson and Kyren William. Kyren specifically because McVay seems to not trust Henderson for some reason. Maybe his inability to stay healthy as well. 

I don’t think you will be wrong all that often betting against RBs coming back from Achilles injuries. 

My only question would be why did Mcvay immediately ride Akers in the playoffs and super bowl if he wasn't confident in him post-achilles? I'm not asking this as a "gotcha" or as an implication that Akers will be a bellcow this season, but I'm genuinely curious to hear people's thoughts.

Because I myself don't trust Akers this season, but it does beg the question -- Henderson and Michel were both healthy for that playoff/superbowl run and yet 6 months fresh off the achilles tear, Mcvay trusted Akers as a bellcow. Hell, he still rode him after 2 critical fumbles in the Bucs game.

Edited by harck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harck said:

My only question would be why did Mcvay immediately ride Akers in the playoffs and super bowl if he wasn't confident in him post-achilles? I'm not asking this as a "gotcha" or as an implication that Akers will be a bellcow this season, but I'm genuinely curious to hear people's thoughts.

Because I myself don't trust Akers this season, but it does beg the question -- Henderson and Michel were both healthy for that playoff/superbowl run and yet 6 months fresh off the achilles tear, Mcvay trusted Akers as a bellcow. Hell, he still rode him after 2 critical fumbles in the Bucs game.

Hendu waz activated 2 days prior to the SB ... he was not active for multiple weeks prior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harck said:

It's what initially gave me confidence in him and the injury, but then this other soft tissue deal came up...hard to not think they are related.  If nothing else soft tissue camp injuries are just a bugaboo for me with RBs, independent of how you feel about the achilles.

I don’t have Akers this year but I don’t think I’ve ever rooted harder for a random player. Just the visceral hate people have for him this year is insane. People are judging him off three games (vs top ranked run defenses) barely 6 months after Achilles surgery. Maybe it’s not as bad here but Reddit people seem to be getting off on hating on this man lol I hope he smashes 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Catfishbilly said:

I don’t have Akers this year but I don’t think I’ve ever rooted harder for a random player. Just the visceral hate people have for him this year is insane. People are judging him off three games (vs top ranked run defenses) barely 6 months after Achilles surgery. Maybe it’s not as bad here but Reddit people seem to be getting off on hating on this man lol I hope he smashes 

Agreed, also the main point for most people is they are just referencing outdated data regarding Achilles injuries as the procedure has changed significantly in recent years. The only players who likely had a similar procedure are Mack and Jrob. Akers is younger than Mack, more talented, is now a year out from the original injury. We'll see how Akers/Jrob look this season to really get a better picture of how well the newer Achilles procedure does

Edited by vthokie3

5 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

Agreed, also the main point for most people is they are just referencing outdated data regarding Achilles injuries as the procedure has changed significantly in recent years. The only players who likely had a similar procedure are Mack and Jrob. Akers is younger than Mack, more talented, is now a year out from the original injury. We'll see how Akers/Jrob look this season to really get a better picture of how well the newer Achilles procedure does

I don’t think you can even compare Akers and JRob at this point.  Every achilles injury ranges in severity but JRob only partially tore his achilles so from everything that we know, his recovery time seemed quicker.

They are both super interesting cases as Akers has now had an entire offseason of recovery.  

We all seemed a bit shocked by JRob’s speedy recovery but given the partial tear, it shouldn’t be as “miraculous” as we all think.  The staff would certainly not throw him out there if they didn’t think he wasn’t physically ready.

Both have different running styles where JRob depends less on lateral agility/quickness and more on his size, vision and strength.

I am anxious to see how they both do this year and rooting hard for both guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Imagine spending a 3rd or 4th round pick on a player and being scared to start him week 1.

Like, I’d personally never draft him but for those that did why wouldn’t you start him? Or why draft him in the first place? 

Said the same thing to Breece Hall drafters. You simply can’t spend a pick that high and set him on your bench out of fear.