NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tua Tagovailoa 2022 Outlook

On 5/20/2022 at 8:00 AM, cashvillesent said:

I don't think so. IMO these are natural traits. Burrow has never been afraid to sling it, even in his rookie year when he was getting absolutely drilled every game. We'll see about Tua. Sometimes guys develop late but generally you know what you have after year two. 

Generally you know what you have after year two? That's completely ahistorical. 

14 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

What else is he gonna say?  'This dude cant throw the ball down 30 yards down field.  I miss Mahomes already.' 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kdko said:

What else is he gonna say?  'This dude cant throw the ball down 30 yards down field.  I miss Mahomes already.' 

he could have said nothing. 

Have you ever played sports? Guys don’t have to be effusive with their praise, he could just as easily blow the question off and say little to nothing 

It’s fine if you think Tyreek Hill is lying. I do not think he is. 

probably easier for you to believe Mike Florio or Chris Simms 😂

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:49 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

he could have said nothing. 

Have you ever played sports? Guys don’t have to be effusive with their praise, he could just as easily blow the question off and say little to nothing 

It’s fine if you think Tyreek Hill is lying. I do not think he is. 

probably easier for you to believe Mike Florio or Chris Simms 😂

Ad hominem, how sad for you and the insecurity of your stance.  And yes, i played 3x sports through high school 😘

Tyreek is stuck with this middling QB for years now and of course he wont bite the hand that feeds.  His best years are behind him.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, kdko said:

Ad hominem, how sad for you and the insecurity of your stance.  And yes, i played 3x sports through high school 😘

Tyreek is stuck with this middling QB for years now and of course he wont bite the hand that feeds.  His best years are behind him.

I respect your right to have an opinion. 

despite your extensive athletic prowess in high school I will take Tyreek Hill’s opinion over yours.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Haters gonna hate. 

I’ll trust Tyreek Hill over Mike Florio and Chris Simms. 

I don't have a view. Just saying the quote is kind of who cares.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

I don't have a view. Just saying the quote is kind of who cares.

Sounds like your view is kind of “who cares?”

I appreciate your viewpoint.

My answer would be that lots of people care. People take time to try and knock him based off what people say or see on tv.   I see nothing wrong with posting a quote from the most famous WR to catch passes from Tua up to now.

its up to the individual person if you choose to believe Tyreek is lying or being sincere.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:20 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

We can just pause until the upcoming season gives us some more info to work with. 

👍🏻

@DerrickHenrysCleats I was talking about you with my cousin (he’s also a heavy Tua supporter) and I couldn’t recall your projections for Tua this year.

Can you humor me and tell me once more?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nn4mz said:

@DerrickHenrysCleats I was talking about you with my cousin (he’s also a heavy Tua supporter) and I couldn’t recall your projections for Tua this year.

Can you humor me and tell me once more?

I don’t remember if I’ve made an actual prediction or not.

Tua obviously needs to stay healthy for 17 straight games. That has to be my biggest concern. If he can stay healthy I believe he can put together a really good season. 

his WRs have been upgraded, OLine as well and the running game. Ultimately I think this leads to a higher completion percentage and quite a few more redzone opportunities. 

with Waddle and Hill healthy I expect a lot of YAC, it will also be harder to play cover 2 shell defense with a rotation of RBs that can all gash you, Mostert, Edmonds, Michel, Gaskin, that’s a deep stable of RBs that will punish the defense for trying to play back. I think it creates a lot of mismatches for the defense to try to account for. Now it will be Tua’s job to identify the weak link in the defense and attack that. This is where Mike McDaniel and Tua must mesh well together. Getting on the same page reading the defense and hopefully calling audibles at the line of scrimmage.

ultimately I think they will find success working collaboratively to get things correct. 

right now with everyone healthy I believe Tua can throw for 4,100 yards, 30+ TDs and 12-14 INT’s. 

biggest factor will be staying healthy, recovery from the hip injury has been going well but the nagging injuries are becoming ammunition for his naysayers, despite Tua pleading to play with hurt ribs and finger (coaches decision not to let him play).

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

That would make him a top-10 QB. Good luck :)

thanks.

It might end up being a tad conservative with Tyreek Hill and the other YAC monsters that Miami has added. 

Tua started and finished 12 games last year not counting the Buffalo game he was injured early and he averaged 221 passing yards per game. 

provided he stays healthy, which I pointed out previously is most important for him this year, then I projected him to average 241 yards per game. Just 20 yards more per game than what he had last year and Miami added Tyreek Hill, Cedrick Wilson, Raheem Mostert, Sony Michel, Chase Edmonds, Terron Armstead, Connor Williams, a head coach with an offensive identity.

Honestly, provided he stay healthy it’s hard to see how he doesn’t throw more than what I projected but I think what I projected is fair since we haven’t seen the product on the field yet. 

The TD numbers i based off of the offensive additions and Tua’s redzone efficiency. Tyreek and Waddle can score from anywhere at anytime and Tua is efficient in the redzone since he is an accurate QB so I guesstimated him to average 1.75 TDs per game. 

I look forward to your projections for Tua in 2022.

Tua Tagovailoa expects more down-field passing opportunities this season. 

“I wasn’t really able to push the ball down the field last year because we didn’t have plays specifically to push the ball down the field,” Tagovailoa claimed in an interview with Muscle & Fitness magazine. “A lot of plays that were called last year were meant for one person. Either this person is open, or the play might be dead.” Everyone, including Tua, seems to be protesting too much as to his 2022 down-field ability, but we have zero doubt Kyle Shanahan disciple Mike McDaniel is going to scheme a better deep game this season. Tagovailoa also had the arm strength to at least hit open, streaking down-field receivers at Alabama. That is going to be a major 2022 possibility with Tyreek Hill joining Jaylen Waddle. This is not all smoke. 

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Tua Tagovailoa expects more down-field passing opportunities this season. 

“I wasn’t really able to push the ball down the field last year because we didn’t have plays specifically to push the ball down the field,” Tagovailoa claimed in an interview with Muscle & Fitness magazine. “A lot of plays that were called last year were meant for one person. Either this person is open, or the play might be dead.” Everyone, including Tua, seems to be protesting too much as to his 2022 down-field ability, but we have zero doubt Kyle Shanahan disciple Mike McDaniel is going to scheme a better deep game this season. Tagovailoa also had the arm strength to at least hit open, streaking down-field receivers at Alabama. That is going to be a major 2022 possibility with Tyreek Hill joining Jaylen Waddle. This is not all smoke. 

I am starting to feel bad about defending Flores last year when he was fired. But more and more is coming out about how this was not a good system and didn't help anyone.

We all saw it last year that every thing was short and quick passes (less than 20 yards). On his longer throws he had good accuracy - he's not a bad passer by any means.

I'm really looking forward to a better and a more productive offense this year. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:22 PM, Boudewijn said:

That would make him a top-10 QB. Good luck :)

Not only that, but that would be saying that he can more than likely top 10 offense which hasn’t happened in 20+ years.

That would also make him the best QB since Dan Marino.

A guy in which his office was completely fine with trading him not too long ago, but is now a guy who the office is claiming they are all in on.  

I do think he has had an uphill battle (organizational drama, hip injury, COVID season, etc).  I’m hoping he proves me wrong because I don’t pray or hope for folks’ downfall.

Posted (edited)

How a qb can be throwing to the most highly drafted pair of wr's in all the league and himself being drafted as not even a starter in 14 team leagues literally defies logic.  Hill (9th wr), Waddle (18th wr) Tua (17th qb).  And it's not about health since CMC is ranked 3rd overall.  And those are standard scoring rankings so it's not about extra points for the wr's from lots of short passes. 

Wouldn't someone have to really believe that Hill or Waddle is much better than the other to actively draft one of them and not stack with Tua.  A qb's stats are essentially the sum of his receivers' stats.

How can there be such a disconnect from the math here?

Edited by rocklandrew
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 10:36 PM, rocklandrew said:

How a qb can be throwing to the most highly drafted pair of wr's in all the league and himself being drafted as not even a starter in 14 team leagues literally defies logic.  Hill (9th wr), Waddle (18th wr) Tua (17th qb).  And it's not about health since CMC is ranked 3rd overall.  And those are standard scoring rankings so it's not about extra points for the wr's from lots of short passes. 

Wouldn't someone have to really believe that Hill or Waddle is much better than the other to actively draft one of them and not stack with Tua.  A qb's stats are essentially the sum of his receivers' stats.

you are absolutely correct. ppl taking hill in rd2 and waddle in 4 then turning around and saying they don’t believe in tua is ridiculous. as for me, i essentially believe qbs are replaceable. i believe tua and this offense will hum. i’m IN on tua, IN on cheetah, IN on waddle. i think in one lg i have them all stacked

On 6/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Give me tua and lawrence this year for cheap in redraft, one of these two are bound to take that next step

Not a bad idea in the least.   Love this idea in auction especially.  

On 6/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, rocklandrew said:

How a qb can be throwing to the most highly drafted pair of wr's in all the league and himself being drafted as not even a starter in 14 team leagues literally defies logic.  Hill (9th wr), Waddle (18th wr) Tua (17th qb). 

1150 yards is top 10 for a WR.

1050 yards is top 20 for a WR.

2200 yards is not top 17 for a QB.

Math checks out to me.

On a serious note, it's fairly simple.  Part of the offense is ranked disproportionately.  The world just can't agree on which part.

You think Tua is undervalued relative to the WRs rank.  Many people think Hill\Waddle are overvalued relative to the QB rank.  That's what makes the game interesting.

Tua stats last year, extrapolated out to 17 games:

3,469 yards, 21 TDs, 13 INT, 55 rushes, 167 yards, 4TD.  247 fantasy points.

Add Tyreek Hill's stats directly on top. (This is absolutely not realistic but to get the point across...)

Tyreek had 1239 yards and 9TDs last year.

That would bring Tua to 4,708\30.

That new statline total would result in 333 fantasy points. (Yahoo default scoring)

That would barely edge out the 12th best QB last year, Kirk Cousins, and Russell Wilson (who also both support 2 top 20 WRs without being starters, but I digress). This is of course, extrapolating all QBs to the full 17 games as we did with Tua.  (I'm not adjusting for games left early for any of the 25 QBs listed)
*Fumbles not included.

Tua.png

Edited by FFCollusion
  • Like 2